It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2001, 11:55 AM   #1

dianaz HB User
Question small bowel cancer

Hi,
My brother has been recently diagnosed with small bowel cancer (stage 4)which has mestasis in the peritoneal cavity with large amounts of fluid, and has been informed that he is past conventional surgery. Chemo is prescribed, however I'm not sure if this is for palliative reasons only. I would appreciate any one with infomation regarding succesful therapies other than surgery to please respond. I understand this condition is extremely rare and I pray there is some one to shed hope for me in this case.
Thanks
Diana Z

Old 01-23-2001, 06:57 AM   #2

DMH HB User
I have cancer of the appendix with Signet cells. It spread to the large intestines,colon, uterus, ovaries and I am a stage 4. I am only 32 and have been healthy all of my life. They went in and did major debulking. They removed the above mentioned organs and "scraped the inside of my peritoneal cavity along with the diaphram. They also removed large amounts of fluid.
I was given chemo after recovery of Cistplatin, and Gemzar which was given by IV. Also oral chemo pills called Xeloda to take for 2 weeks after each tx at home. My Ct scans showed no new tumors. Best wishes....

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 02-03-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2001, 05:48 PM   #3

dianaz HB User
Thanks so much for sharing your information with us. We hope that you are on the mend and our best wishes are sincerely with you. With regards to my brother, surgery is not at this time a viable alternative (we are told) and he is faced with a decision regarding an experimental procedure in a phase 1 clinical trial. Decisions are tough when the alternatives are few. Cisplatin is part of the therapy indicated and we would be interested in knowing any side effects that you might wish to share with us.
It sounds like you had the attention of a very good surgical team. Do you mind us asking where you received your surgery and the doctors'?
Sincerely
Diana

Old 01-27-2001, 05:51 PM   #4
Inactive

vigilante HB User
I like antiangiogenic and targeted therapies. the former include endo/angiostatin and 2ME2, the latter farnesyl transferase and tyrosine kinase inhibitors. also immunotherapy, especially dendritic cell "vaccines." oral copper chelators prevent the spread of all cancers.

Old 01-31-2001, 07:07 PM   #5

dianaz HB User
Question

Thanks Vigilante,
We've read wonderful prospects on all of the items you've listed, however we are having a difficult time locating a facility where any of those therapies or protocols are being administered in practice.
We have searched all clinical trials on this continent and experimental therapies are being targeted at more common cancers.
If you could share any information regarding locations or doctors that are currently performing these therapies, we would welcome the information for follow through.
Thanks for your response and attention.
Diana

Old 03-09-2001, 07:08 PM   #6

JanieB HB User
Dear Diane Z,
Regarding the question for small bowel cancer, Chemo would be used to try and drastically reduce the tumour before any attemp of surgery would be performed... The more they can shrink using chemo, possibly followed by radiotherapy the better the diagnosis for the patient...This regime would be the best as opening up the abdominal wall would mean taking too much of the small intestine....and with it being stage 4 which is quite far advanced the chemo is the safest and best option...My husband had non hodgkins lymphoma of the small intestine and is in remission 3 years from surgery and chemo...I send you my best wishes and good luck....And most of all I know how you feel...So please do not hesitate to post more questions...

Closed Thread