It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006, 03:08 AM   #1

Loz23 HB User
Information on bowel cancer

I am sorry if I am posting on the wrong board but I am looking for some advice. I am a very worried 25 year old female, I have been having problems with my bowels for about 18 months now and it seems to be getting worse, my symptoms are change in bowel habbit loose watery yellow stools and occasionally constipation (sometimes with mucus, no blood that I have noticed, I have stomach cramps daily along with nausea,back pain and sometime chest pains. I am worried now as my doctor says it might be an idea to have a Barium Enema (I have no idea what this is) is it a test for cancer?. I have no history in my family of colon or any other cancer that i am aware of. I have had an ultrasound scan which came back clear and normal blood work. please can you tell me if these symptoms are typical as I dont know anyone who has had this cancer and am unaware of what the early signs and symptoms are.

Very worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
(female)

Toot Toot HB User
Re: Information on bowel cancer

Hi. I cannot speak to whether you're experiencing symptoms of colon (or any other) cancer, but I can address the barium enema. A barium enema is simply an x-ray-type test that looks at your large intestine. A tube is inserted in your bootie; I've had it done and, while it's uncomfortable, it's not painful.

I'm experiencing some symptoms myself and am awaiting a referral for a colonoscopy. We shall see.
Romans 8:28

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Because of your age, it sounds very much like IBS, which can give you the symptoms you describe. I was diagnosed with this at age 29, and except for the watery yellow stools, I had every symptom you mention. The cramping could very well be colon spasms, which are quite painful. I had two barium enemas back then, about a year apart because my symptoms didn't go away and I went to another doctor, but both tests came back clear so based on that and my symptoms, it was diagnosed as IBS, or spastic colon as it was referred to back then.
A barium enema is not a big deal, and most of it depends on who is administering it - my second one was alot more comfortable and alot quicker than the first. The day before you will be on a clear diet and will also have to use something to clean yourself out. You do not want anything left inside that will show up on the x-ray as 'something' so being completely cleaned out is important. The test itself is pretty simple - they will insert the barium into your colon, then you will be asked to lie in different positions and the table will turn this way and that....this is to get all the different x-rays they need. Again, not a big deal. After the test is complete, you will be allowed to go to the restroom to get rid of the barium and then go home. The most 'discomfort' you will feel is hunger from not eating the day before

Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

Kenyaa77 HB User

Just my two cents, ask for a colonoscopy instead or on top of the Barium. My mother had the Barium done three years ago, the tube is longer and went right past the tumor that had been growing, her cancer is lower in the rectal canal and she could have been saved from all the trouble shes going through now.

Closed Thread