It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
(female)

jo237 HB User
Worried I may have a Bowel Disease?? Please Help

Hello to you all, I have had bowel issues for about 4 years now where I would have constipation followed by 3-4 days of loose stools. Recently I developed quite bad cramps and pain on my left side and bloating. My GP sent me for an xray and rang me a few days later to go and see her. My xray showed moderate fecal loading and no bowel gas. also on the xray was an underlying mass. she sent me to the hospital for possible surgery and they told me it was a fecal impaction and the fact I had been "going"was just the overflow. They sent me home with laxitives which i have taken for 5 days now. I feel the BM are still only "overflow" and the horrible pain and cramping is still there. They said they would perform a barium enema in six weeks time just to check?. I feel as ill now as did last week and nothing has changed. My xray also showed that the colon was not in the right place and appeared all bunched up and moved to one side.
I am VERY VERY concerned that the fecal impaction is merely a symptom of some other underlying disease and not a "one off" problem.
My questions really are; Can a fecal impaction be a reason for some other disease? Even tho on digital examination of the colon there was nothing showing and on a rigid light thing?? about six inches long didnt show anything else, could there be a cancer of some sort higher up in my colon.
I thank you in advance for your replies and to hopefully put my mind at rest.
Regards
Jo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
(female)

laura3364 HB User
Re: Worried I may have a Bowel Disease?? Please Help

Hi,

It will be hard to for you to be diagnosed since they can't look inside your colon until you are completely cleaned out. Fecal impaction can be the result of other conditions but the contrast test you had did not show any obstructions or strictures, which is good. I think you should see a gastroenterologist because your GP might not be familiar with all the specific digestive issues that are related to fecal impaction. Take it slow, one thing at a time...you are going to feel miserable until you are somewhat regular again. This kind of constipation could be a sign of IBS if more serious conditions like a stricture can be ruled out. Keep going to your doctor, find a GI, and let us know how things are going.
LH

Closed Thread