It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
(male)

Tone1 HB User
Stage 4 colon cancer

My mum(aged 60) was told on 4/5/2011 that she had stage 4 colon cancer which has mets in the liver and to one part of the lung.

She went in yesterday for surgery to hopefully remove the tumor which is in the upper rectum to sigmoid area but the surgeon has told us he could not remove it as it was attached to many blood vessels,they did however bypass the tumor to stop any potential blockage and have fitted a stoma.

This is the first time from reading these boards that i have heard that the tumor could not be removed by surgery and wondered if anyone had any advice for us?

Also she is going to recieve chemo as soon as she recovers from the surgery does anyone know if the chemo would help reduce the tumor?

Thankyou.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Stage 4 colon cancer

I'm sorry, I have no advice, but I just wanted to say that I'm praying for all of you..

Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to slenderella For This Useful Post:
Tone1 (05-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

FEBRUARY 14 HB User

Hi ! sorry to hear about your mum - I had secondaries in the liver too numerous to operate on, but had a year of chemo which reduced them to two which were ok and had a liver re-section in November. Now I have a further tumour on the right of the liver, which is inoperable because of its proximity to the stomach. My docs have said I may be a suitable candidate for radiofrequency ablation - I am keeping my fingers crossed to hear - so don't give up - there are many different treatments out there if an op is not possible ! Thinking of you and your mum - I am 63, so age is not a concern !

Old 05-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
(male)

Tone1 HB User

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,my mum has a appointment to see the radiologist on Wednesday so hopefully they might be able to have a go at getting rid of the tumor that way.

She has recovered well from the op and is fighting fit ready to get the treatment underway ASAP.

Hope all goes well for you!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

eightpawz HB User

You asked if chemo would shrink the tumor, in my case the answer is "yes." I am Stave IV with mets to the liver. In the beginning they said my liver was 75% full of tumors. They didnt' understand why I wasn't in pain, losing weight or jaundice -- nothing. I had not symptoms at all, it was discovered by accident. Anyway, I've had nothing but chemo (FolFox - Avastin, Oxaliplatin, Leucovorin, FU-5). They can no longer feel the primary tumor in my rectum, and the tumors in my liver have shrunk more than 50% in size. My current onc says he won't make a surgical candidate. So, that means I'll find an new doc. I live southern NH within driving distance of the Boston medical mecca.

Keep the faith, and tell her to keep fighting. I have a 2 year old daughter, she's why I don't quit. There are alot of Stage IV's who are now NED (no evidence of disease). I've met a few.

-Dawn

Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
(male)

Tone1 HB User

Good to hear the treatment is working for you,mum was a week into her chemo but was admitted into hospital a week ago with bad sickness etc,,just found out today that she has a twisted bowel which we think maybe the cause,and will be having a op tomorrow to correct it.

Hopefully get back on the chemo in a couple of weeks after this setback.

Closed Thread