It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

Angel6 HB User
Miralax Question..

For several months..(Since October) I have been dealing with alternating Constipation and Diarrhea though its mostly constipation. So I figured I just wasn't eating right so I began to add more fiber to my diet which seemed to be working as far as making me have a bowel movement..but my stool had mucus in it I wasn't extremely worried because I didn't see any blood.

Just last month I started getting pains in both of my sides Mostly my left side and also really bad back pains in the late afternoon. I went to the emergency room a few weeks ago because my stomach felt really swollen on the inside. The doctors did a few tests and when they looked at the X-rays it showed I was severely constipated so they told me to drink Magnesium Citrate to get my bowels moving. It worked and I felt completely fine for a week or so..and then the pains came back and I was constipated all over again When I had a bowel movement it mostly came out in little balls.. I was starting to get worried that I had something more serious like Cancer..and of course I worry about everything so I made an appointment with my doctor.

he told me to start taking MiraLax and follow the instructions on the bottle.
So That is what I have been doing..and it seems to be working as far as making me go and loosening me up on the inside But now my stools sometimes look like really small flat pieces that are also kind of narrow But only in the morning after taking miralax, They thicken up a Bit as the day goes on but not much...and I've never had flat narrow stools before So I was wondering if Maybe the Miralax might have something to do with that? I'm still on the first week of taking it and I'm using it like my doctor said to except now I've started taking it every other day Which he told me was okay. I'm about to get a job so I can afford to go back and see him soon because I am a little worried..I just wanted to ask if anyone else might have had this happen after taken MiraLax? Just to ease my mind a little until I can see my doctor again

Also the colors of my stool are normal (sometimes they're green but thats probably because I eat A LOT of leafy vegetables) and I've never seen blood in my stool.

Any comments or help is very appreciated thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Miralax Question..

A number of things can cause a change in Bowel Movements, it could be the medication you are on or it could be something else.
I also suffer Diarrhea and Constipation and have different stools which can be like small balls or thin narrow wavy type.
After a Colonoscopy I was found to have DIVERTICULITIS but I believe that IBS can cause similar stools.
If in doubt speak to your Dr. Good Luck, Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Angel6 (07-14-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
(male)

paininthedupa HB User

I don't know what your poop is supposed to look like when taking Miralax, but regarding your constipation... how much water do you drink every day? What about coffee or diet coke? For a normal healthy stool and body function, a good rule of thumb is half of your bodyweight in ounces of water every day. That's a minimum. If you work out, run, or are in a hot environment when you're sweating, drinking more water than that is prudent.

The Following User Says Thank You to paininthedupa For This Useful Post:
Angel6 (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

Angel6 HB User
Smile Re: Miralax Question..

Thanks both of you for the replys! Its actually starting to look a lot better. They're thickening up and looking more healthy I think I just needed to give it time to start working, But I will still see my doctor when I can and talk about getting a colonoscopy done just to be completely sure

and to paininthedupa:
I've recently started to drink about 5 or more 8 fl oz bottles of water everyday. I also drink at least 1 cup of coffee per day and a soda maybe Once a week. Should I drink more water than what I already am?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
(male)

paininthedupa HB User

That's a good start. Unless you weigh 80 lbs, 40oz of water isn't enough. Take your weight, divide it in half, and that is the number of ounces of water you need to shoot for each day. Coffee and soda doesn't count toward that number. Make sense?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
(female)

rsdinme HB User

A few months ago I had a bad case of constipation that lasted nearly a month. I have RSD and developed shingles also as well. I went to the ER got XRAYS and was told to take Miralax it didn't even come close to solving my problem. I'm a big water drinker so that wasn't a problem I wasn't eating fried food and I was pounding the veggies down me, while drinking the Miralax 3x aday.
Finally what worked for me was eating "tomatoes" I ate them two days in a row and all came loose..I had the side pain which finally went away once I was able to have a bowel movement.
Since then I make sure I keep the tomatoes in my diet and all has been ok with the Mirlax on a reg basic. Best of luck
eunie

Closed Thread