It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #16
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: DX in Michigan

Tom52

I am glad to read about the negative scans. You surely have all options in the open.

Regarding your question, you can read several suggestions on how to choose a surgeon from the net. Just type "how to pick a surgeon" in a search engine and you get lots of ideas.

Wishing you the best.
Baptista

The Following User Says Thank You to Baptista For This Useful Post:
Tom52 (08-13-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
Inactive
(male)

Tom52 HB User
Re: DX in Michigan

Well, it has been a long and twisting road since I last posted here.
I thought I would post again to offer some hope to those who are faced with prostate issues.

Bottom line = GOOD NEWS

First, when I last posted I was waiting for an appt with the radiologist to discuss seed implants. While I was in the waiting room, I struck up a conversation with another gentleman. He was seeing the same doctor and he told me his experiences. His cancer was gone (he thought) but he had urinary and ED issues.

My appointment proceeded, but the doc said I was not a candidate for seeds. My prostate was a little too large. He wanted to put me into IMRT. He also said that he would probably re-class my cancer from low risk to intermediate risk because of some questionnaire and my age. The doctor also said that I may have the aggressive form of cancer, again because of my age. (I am 59) I did not quite understand that.
I asked, 'when do I need to make a decision?' He replied,’ by the end of summer' (It was August 29) He may have been joking, but I didn't get the joke.

The appointment left me feeling that the doctor was in too much hurry to get me into his radiation beam. I asked his nurses to tell me the names of the best surgeons in town. A couple of weeks later I received a registered letter for that cancer center telling me that my condition required immediate attention and wanted me to contact them regarding my treatment decision.

Next, I started looking for a surgeon.
After a 1 hour meeting, the doctor agreed to do the surgery. DaVinci laproscopic RP.

The surgery was scheduled for thursday October 27, 2011
I felt great after the surgery, must have been the anesthesia and the morphine.
Discharge was the next day at about 1pm
I have been walking / strolling 1-2 hours daily since getting home (20 to 30 min walks)
Food has not been a problem. I am tolerating regular foods and things are flowing smoothly with the help of colace.

The cath was removed yesterday Nov 4, 2011 (quite a relief) 8 days inside.
Day 1 without the cath I needed 2 pads. (the first one fell into the toilet)
Day 2 looks like I will get away with 1 pad.
I credit the skill of the surgeon and the surgical team with sparing the nerve bundles, allowing my urinary functions to return so quickly.
In fact, I remember the surgeon coming into the recovery room and telling me that the nerves separated easily from the prostate.

I also got the pathology report yesterday
Here are the highlights:

Size: (L x W x H) 4.5 cm x 5.2 cm x 4.5 cm Weight: 69.7g
Surgery: Robotic/DaVinci
Tumor type: Acinar (The most common type of prostate tumor)
Gleason Grade: 3+3=6
Maximum dimension of largest tumor nodule: 0.9 cm
Multifocal: No
Peripheral Zone tumor: Left Apex
Extraprostatic tumor extension: No
Margin Status: All Negative
Seminal Vesicle involvement: None
Lymphovascular invasion: No
Left and Right pelvic lymph node status: N/A
pT2a NX MX
Tumor confined to prostate.

I have not yet talked to the Doctor about the pathology. That will be coming in December. I wonder if i would have gone the surgery route if I had known how small the cancer was. I also wonder how the Uro that did the biopsy ever hit that little piece of cancer.
That is one of the problems in medicine today. They cannot image the cancer very well, so they couldn't tell me how large the tumor was from the biopsy results. They also couldn't tell me if it was aggressive enough to kill me, or just sit there for the next 25 years.
Anyway, I have no regrets. I made my decision. The surgeon did a great job.

I hope my experiences can offer some hope to those folks that are struggling with prostate issues.
Best of luck to all
Pray for Peace

Tom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread