It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

anxietygirl123 HB User
Ovarian Cancer at 16? PLEASE help!

I hope this is the right place for me to post this. I am a 16 year old girl, with bad health anxiety and diagnosed hypochondria and recently i've been getting very hung up on my lower abdomen/pelvic area and how everything feels down there. I am convinced i have ovarian cancer, and even though my parents keep assuring me it isn't i'm petrified!

I've heard about these ovarian germ cell tumors that can affect teenagers and i am extremely worried this is what i have! The problem is, i always believe i have some type of cancer because of a certain feeling i might be experiencing or a pain i might be feeling and i tend to obsess over it. But i am so scared that i have ovarian cancer and i keep having bad panic attacks over it, especially since i just lost my Grandma to esophageal cancer last month.

Since last month i've been having lower abdominal cramps, excessive flatulence, a tight feeling in my lower abdomen and a slight change in my bowel movements along (both of these have been slightly better recently) I also have lower back ache occasionally and my period is a few dates late but it has arrived now.

My mum keeps telling me my symptoms would be getting worse if i had cancer and that it is just my anxiety causing my bowel to be upset and other functions such as my period and that i am obsessing and dwelling on how my body feels down there, but i'm scared!

How likely is it that i have ovarian cancer at 16? Please help!

Anxietygirl123

The following user gives a hug of support to anxietygirl123:
hopeful9146 (09-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
(female)

misty073 HB User
Re: Ovarian Cancer at 16? PLEASE help!

I am sorry I don't know anything about ovarian cancer. Your dr would be the best one to talk to.

But I was wondering if you have/or see a phyciatrist? Having anxiety like this is no way to live. I have anxiety and I also get like you where I am convinced there is something wrong. I do see a phyciatrist and now take meds for my anxiety. (although I have to wait till my next appointment and get them changed). But other than just medication we talk about my health anxiety. I do have some serious health issues that have gotten worse because Drs just passed m off as having nothing wrong so she says my concerns are valid, but we have also discussed measures to help ease my mind. I am terrified of skin cancer so
she suggested a yearly appointment with a dermatologist.

I would guess you don't have ovarian cancer but I an not a dr or know anything about it. But you sound like you have anxiety and that is a valid medical concern. And this is no way to live, believe me. Talk to your GP about your concerns and anxiety it can get better. I also have an 18 year old who is the same way. She also has health anxiety. The phyciatrist is waiting to start her on some anxiety medication until after she gets tested for cushings. She has almost all of the symptoms...but she also could be creating the symptoms with her anxiety.

Last edited by misty073; 08-03-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

jacey75 HB User

Ovarian cancer would be really, really uncommon at your age, but I agree with Misty073, it sounds like you need help with your anxiety much more than with your ovaries. By all means, see a doctor, but also talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about your anxiety. The worrying and obsessing can make you feel physically sick even when you aren't, and that's no way to live.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

the symptoms you're having could be all kinds of other things, some as simple as a minor stomach upset, or even ovulation! my friend gets cramps and actually feels when she ovulates..... don't blow it all out of proportion, but of course don't blow it off either. go to a gynecologist and get a pelvic exam.....they can tell how your ovaries are from that......I'm pretty sure you don't have cancer.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
(female)

hopeful9146 HB User

i agree with the others. you should first go to the ob/gyn clinic and get all test done including pathology test(blood test) as well. Explain to gynecologist how you are feeling and where you're feeling it. Some times young ladies your age can have all sorts of hard menstral issues. But by all means wait for your pap and blood test results.
Wishing you the best.

Closed Thread