It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

4sanity HB User
Elevated CRP Level!

Just got results back from physicial - cholesterol 211, doctor not too concerned. Had an EKG as well with physical and he said all looked good. He wants me to come back in a month though to repeat the CRP test since it came back at 17! (Normal is 0-3). I was freaking out but his nurse said it could just be that I had an infection. I did have a cold when I was in to see him and had some dental work - do you think that's all it could be? I am going to go insane waiting 4 weeks to repeat the lab work - I do have a family history of heart disease, but not sure if I should freak out more about potential heart attack or the cancer risk the websites mention with elevated CRP levels! Any feeedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Elevated CRP Level!

As you've probably found out from your research, elevated CRP levels are indicative of inflammation. It could be from a number of things, including but not limited to the following:

•Cancer
•Connective tissue disease
•Heart attack
•Infection
•Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
•Lupus
•Pneumococcal pneumonia
•Rheumatoid arthritis
•Rheumatic fever
•Tuberculosis

(Please note these are listed in alphabetical order, NOT in order of likelihood!)

So, yes, it's possible that your CRP was elevated by the cold, or even inflammation around your gums due to the dental work. Usually you hear of chronic elevated CRP's being related to heart disease, but this doesn't mean you're in imminent danger of a heart attack. It just means that if, in fact, you have chronically elevated CRP, you need to do whatever you can to minimize the affect on your body, and that would include diet, exercise, and possibly medication.

Sounds like your doc is right on top of things, and I, personally, don't think this is something to get all that worried about. Just something to be aware of and make sure you're doing whatever you CAN do to maintain long-term good health. The follow-up test will give you and your doc more information but, please, don't lose any sleep over this one.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 08-14-2011 at 01:01 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
4sanity (08-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

4sanity HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty View Post
As you've probably found out from your research, elevated CRP levels are indicative of inflammation. It could be from a number of things, including but not limited to the following:

•Cancer
•Connective tissue disease
•Heart attack
•Infection
•Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
•Lupus
•Pneumococcal pneumonia
•Rheumatoid arthritis
•Rheumatic fever
•Tuberculosis

(Please note these are listed in alphabetical order, NOT in order of likelihood!)

So, yes, it's possible that your CRP was elevated by the cold, or even inflammation around your gums due to the dental work. Usually you hear of chronic elevated CRP's being related to heart disease, but this doesn't mean you're in imminent danger of a heart attack. It just means that if, in fact, you have chronically elevated CRP, you need to do whatever you can to minimize the affect on your body, and that would include diet, exercise, and possibly medication.

Sounds like your doc is right on top of things, and I, personally, don't think this is something to get all that worried about. Just something to be aware of and make sure you're doing whatever you CAN do to maintain long-term good health. The follow-up test will give you and your doc more information but, please, don't lose any sleep over this one.

Ruth

Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #4
(female)

4sanity HB User

Ruth -

Thank you for the reassuring information. At first I was totally freaked out, but the 2nd time I called the doctor's office, the 2nd nurse was more reassuring that it was probably an infection. That being said, I have taken steps immediately to improve my diet and exercise as I have known for some time that I cannot keep putting that off. Thanks again - makes me feel somewhat calmer.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

A friend of mine has a T-shirt that I love. It says :

"Worry is NOT preparation!"

A good mantra for life!

Ruth

The following user gives a hug of support to SamQKitty:
4sanity (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
(female)

4sanity HB User

Food for thought! Thanks for the reminders on worry!!

Closed Thread