It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Bloody Mucus

Hi all,

First of all sorry to be so gross. I keep suffering from bloody mucus and it is getting worse. I have had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Endo shows my insides to look like measles. Colonoscopy found pre cancerous polyps very small that were removed but quite a few. Doc thought for sure they would be benign. I was on antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection just prior to colonoscopy so he found no signs that could bd causing my issue. Several months later it has returned far worse than ever before and I am having "accidents" now as well. Mom has crohns and collitis. What on earth could cause this? My blood work is all over the place so it's like a needle in a haystack. No hemerhoids sp?

Any advice appreciated.

Sincerely,
Frosty

Old 08-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Bloody Mucus

Hi..the fact that your mom has Crohn's disease should be a huge red flag to the doctor to have you tested appropriately.

Have you had a small bowel follow-through to make sure no CD in there?

Pseudopolyps can be involved with IBD, no matter with UC or CD, so if they're benign, it could be another red flag. Did the doc do biopsies throughout your colon as well?

Do you have the results of the colonoscopy? If not, get it for your records.

It's not normal to have any bleeding without a cause...

Were you bleeding with mucous before you were on the antibiotics?

Have you had stool testing?

Have you had blood testing for inflammatory markers, autoimmune markers, etc?

Just as an aside, Crohn's in the colon is considered Crohn's colitis..it's still Crohn's (which can happen from mouth to anus). Does your mom have CD only in the colon or anywhere else? Is she on medications?

Hang tough...I suggest you arm yourself with a LOT if information and a huge list of questions for the gastro doctor. If you're not satisfied, maybe a trip to a leading gastro clinic in your area can help get it sorted out.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi..the fact that your mom has Crohn's disease should be a huge red flag to the doctor to have you tested appropriately.

Have you had a small bowel follow-through to make sure no CD in there?

Pseudopolyps can be involved with IBD, no matter with UC or CD, so if they're benign, it could be another red flag. Did the doc do biopsies throughout your colon as well?

Do you have the results of the colonoscopy? If not, get it for your records.

It's not normal to have any bleeding without a cause...

Were you bleeding with mucous before you were on the antibiotics?

He did do the biopsies but the polyps came back pre cancerous. Not sure if he took random ones aside from this. I was bleeding with mucous prior to the antibiotics as well and it has gone on for years but has gotten so much worse in the last few with this year being by far the worst and this is the longest lenghth of time I have endured it. The antibiotics seemed to stop it in it's tracts making both the stool sample and colonoscopy not show it's presence and I remained free from it for about 2 months after. That was earlier this year or December, not sure now.

Mom is on many meds. She has had her entire large intestines removed and has only a very small portion of her small intestines remaining. She has disease in her rectal stump as well but meds keep it at bay for the most part so hers affects the colon only. Thank goodness. She has had this or was diagnosed in her early 20's.

I did make an appt yesterday and will be seen on the 25th. I will get a copy of my records at that time as well. As for autoimmune there is something present but no one can pin point the problem as I have other conditions as well. It's as if my body is destroying itself organ by organ.

Thank you so much for you response. You information is very valuable to me.

Sincerely,
Frosty

Have you had stool testing?

Have you had blood testing for inflammatory markers, autoimmune markers, etc?

Just as an aside, Crohn's in the colon is considered Crohn's colitis..it's still Crohn's (which can happen from mouth to anus). Does your mom have CD only in the colon or anywhere else? Is she on medications?

Hang tough...I suggest you arm yourself with a LOT if information and a huge list of questions for the gastro doctor. If you're not satisfied, maybe a trip to a leading gastro clinic in your area can help get it sorted out.

quincy

Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi...since most autoimmune never likes to party alone, just interested to know (if you're up for sharing) what other illnesses you are dealing with.

Since your mom has Crohn's disease, it's very plausible you have an IBD as well.

Was your colon looking like measles..you mean your stomach and small intestine? Were you tested for gastritis bacteria and is that why you were put on antibiotics? which one..flagyl?

Did the doc take biopsies there as well?

Does bowel cancer run in your family?

Is the doctor that you're seeing the same one who did the scopes?

q

Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi Q,

Sorry I was gone so long. Computer crashed on me and I just got it back.

He took several biopsies. I was on levaquin for an upper respiratory infection and he thinks that solved the problem temporarily. He had hoped for good at the time but I have had it for many years, just never like now. I am under an extreme amount of stress though so perhaps that is why it is worse. I don't know how many biopsies he took. Of the upper GI he thought I had H pylori or however that is spelled.. My Neruo says that everyone has that as it is a natural bacteria that is supposed to be in our bodies and the antibiotic regimin he had me on for that made me so sick and did nothing for my symptoms.

I had my gallbladder removed in 09. I had a 2 1/2 in stone that hid for apparently a very long time. According to the docs anyway. Appendectomy, female issues (yay) Osteoarthritis for certain and from birth according to the doc for that, Rheumatoid uncertain. Periphial neuropathy, dystonia in one leg that is completely numb from the knee down. I had a fusion surgery in 2006 of my lumbar spine that failed and gave me far more problems than I had to begin with.

Since I was 27 I have had a high WBC they cannot identify through bone marrow biopsies, no other type tests have been run, if any are even available for that. It runs 16-23. Now proteins and such are off according to spinal tap the Neuro did. Iga, IgH etc. Other stuff too but I don't have the paperwork with me to give you specifics. Doc thought at first perhaps a gluten intolerance but that is not it. Given my family history clearly it can be others but with so much going on, I am a train wreck and in constant pain. I cannot help but wonder if my cages could be causing my problems as well because of the constant pain could they be irritating part of my bowel? Although I didn't have them before. But I'm losing control which is also part of the spine condition although only with the problem mentioned here which is bad enough.

Have had other parts removed but they are normal like tonsils and sinus etc. Just not a healthy cat. I did have menengitis when I was younger as well. Mid 20's.

Thanks for your help and concern,
Frosty

Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
(female)

fifistoosh HB User

Hi, Chrons and Ulcerative Colitis can run in the family, sorry. I have UC, just before an attack I get bloody mucus, I also have great urgency in going to the toilet which can cause accidents. When you have to go, you have to go! When I see the affected areas of colon they do look like they have measels. Good luck getting diagnosed.

The following user gives a hug of support to fifistoosh:
Frosty6 (08-23-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to fifistoosh For This Useful Post:
Frosty6 (08-23-2011)
Closed Thread