It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

thedale HB User
Stage 3C bowel cancer

Hi,

This is my first post so your patience would be appreciated!!

Just been diagnosed with stage 3C bowel cancer. Had a right side resection, avoided the stoma thankfully. It has infected 19 out of 32 lymph nodes, including the top one, and was in blood vessels in the area.

They have found numerous lesions on my liver which, whilst they think are clear, have recommended MRI and possibly PET scan (think that's it anyway).

I'm a 47 year old mother of 4 kids 7-12 years old and am quite frankly scared witless.

I know I'm facing chemo, probably fairly aggressive as well. Does anyone have any advice or info which might help. Maybe you've been through it yourself and are still round to offer advice.

Survival rates seem to vary from 28% to 44%. Do you think my age and the fact that I am a fighter and as stubborn as a mule will help!!

I know I'm not giving in or up without a hell of a fight.

The following user gives a hug of support to thedale:
Touben (08-31-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: Stage 3C bowel cancer

I have not had cancer just wanted to say good luck and you sound like a strong lady and you should be ok.
I know how very scared you must be ..Attitude and wanting to beat this helps alot. The Chemo will be rough but you will get through it ..Stage 3 many people beat it I do pray that the Lesions they have found on your liver are nothing.
I do hope you have friends and family that can be there to help with the kids as some days chemo days you are going to need help..Keep us updated Prayers for you

Last edited by Administrator; 08-31-2011 at 12:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gardenandcats For This Useful Post:
brother83 (05-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
(male)

Touben HB User

Hi,

I'm scheduled to have a series of tests to see what i have. I just want to say goodluck to you. Your very brave woman having to raise 4 kids.
If you belive in God, know that I will be praying for you.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
(female)

thedale HB User

Thank you for your good wishes. Thankfully got all clear on CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis last week. Starting 8 cycles of oxaliplatin and capecitabine chemo wednesday. Infusion that day followed by about 3300mg daily of Xeloda for 2 weeks. 6 days off then cycle 2 begins again, and so it continues for about 6 months.
What do they say "whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger". Well I know which side of that I'm going to end up on!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I do wish you well. My husband, then 65, was dx with stage 111C eight years ago. 11 out 18 lymph nodes were affected. At that time he was not given oxaliplatin which is now given for even some stage 11 rectal cancers. He is doing so well even though he now has prostate cancer. He had six months of chemo, 5Fu and leukovorin, along with radiotherapy. I hope you have good support who will help you through the next few months which will be challenging but doable. We have a friend who has just finished his second round of chemo for the same cancer (we think they did not get all the first time) but he is well and we are celebrating his 70th birthday this weekend.

Do post to let us know how you are getting on.

The following user gives a hug of support to Nassau one:
vanebob (01-21-2012)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
(male)

malbarmu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedale View Post
Hi,

This is my first post so your patience would be appreciated!!

Just been diagnosed with stage 3C bowel cancer. Had a right side resection, avoided the stoma thankfully. It has infected 19 out of 32 lymph nodes, including the top one, and was in blood vessels in the area.

They have found numerous lesions on my liver which, whilst they think are clear, have recommended MRI and possibly PET scan (think that's it anyway).

I'm a 47 year old mother of 4 kids 7-12 years old and am quite frankly scared witless.

I know I'm facing chemo, probably fairly aggressive as well. Does anyone have any advice or info which might help. Maybe you've been through it yourself and are still round to offer advice.

Survival rates seem to vary from 28% to 44%. Do you think my age and the fact that I am a fighter and as stubborn as a mule will help!!

I know I'm not giving in or up without a hell of a fight.
It sounds like your medical team has you well in hand, Yes Chemo sounds on the cards,
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, enjoy your family:

The following user gives a hug of support to malbarmu:
spek (10-29-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

Jasmiina HB User

Dear Thedale,
I truly wish you the most success in your recovery! I see that you are very strong woman, and are willing to fight! Good for you!
I can only add, that such treatment as Virotherapy is considered to be very helpful once cancer patient undergoes chemo. As far as I know, it decreases the side-effects caused by chemo and significantly improves immune system.
Maybe this is somehow helpful to you.
Best wishes,
Jasmiina

Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
(male)

vanebob HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stage 3C bowel cancer

Hi
I'm sure attitude makes a big difference, l was diagnosed with bowel cancer, had major surgery after intensive radiotherapy (so painful) then the same chemo you're having, l was widowed 3 years ago, my wife fought ovarian cancer but sadly lost the battle. I work full time and have a 17 year old daughter, life is full and tiring, l've now got secondary's in my lungs. I don't feel ill and l wont let it make me ill either, it sounds as though you will fight this too, l sincerely wish you all the luck in the world. The chemo was bearable by the way, the only side effect that bothered me in any way was the pins and needles in your extremities made worse by the cold, l had to wear gloves to take milk from the fridge. Good luck and keep smiling.

Closed Thread