It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bowel Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
(male)

sameoldfears HB User
22yr old male needs advice

Hello, thanks for taking the time to at very least try and help with my query.

I am a 22 year old male, about 4 months ago I started getting abdominal pain and my bowel movements started changing, at first i took no notice of it as i thought Id took my painkillers for my back on an empty stomach, but the pain only got worse, and was nearly constant, my bowl movements got worse, at first it was fresh blood and alot of loose stools, then over time that changed to only having a bowel movement at most once a day , with alot of staining, and the stools are dark brown with black threw them. Also it appears the lower left hand side of my abdomen has swollen up a bit, and now the lower section of my back is sore too. And recently I have had no energy to do anything, not really left the house atol. My dr has arranged a colonoscopy, I dont know when that will be though.

I know this question may be hard to answer, but when people say its good to catch cancer early, how early do they actually mean? Is it weeks, or months?

I mean I know this might not be cancer, but all i can find online with these symptoms leads to this, I cant think of what else it could be. I have neurofibromatosis type 1 and also have scoliosis. These are the only other underlying health problems I have. But in researching NF1, the risk of caner is increased. So im just very panicy the now.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
(male)

malbarmu HB User
Re: 22yr old male needs advice

A visit to your GP seems to me in order and very practical

Last edited by mod85; 10-24-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

Jasmiina HB User

Hi,
Even though I am not a cancer patient, I can only say that the line where it is early caught and where not is not so strict - it always depends on the particular individual.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

Jen0501 HB User
Red face Re: 22yr old male needs advice

Go immediately to your family doctor or a Gastr- Interoligist.
I have had cervical, breast and colon cancer- all were caught super early due to regular check ups and with the breast cancer- I found the tiniest sphere under my arm. I waited two weeks, went to my OBGYN and within a week I was undergoing surgery and pathology reports. Within 3 weeks I was undergoing chemo.
Please, youngin'- get thee to the doctor!!!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

brother83 HB User

hi same old fears i think you have right to worry but please listn to what i say and do what i tell you its important try get the earliest appointment as possible for the colonegoscopy spelt wrong i know soz about that try keep a record of bowel movements and how much blood your passing. the swelling on the left hand side of your belly you need to start taking photos of it so you have a record of how bad the swelling gets its also to be kept as proof incase you get fobbed of by your doctors like my brother did luckily he kept photos on his phone if you can take a photo while holding a ruler or anything against the swelling so you can get a base line of how little or how bad the swelling is. if your starting to feel weak go back to see ur doctor and keep an eye on your weight make sure your not losing too much weight if your a biggish lad dont think losing weight is a good thing especially if its at a quick speed these are warning signs my brother had all the signs but because he already had a medical problem ulcerated colitis they ignored the warning signs so much so that my brother ended up a bag of bones by the time my mam finally got them to listn it was too late but my brother had the cancer in his body for nearly a year and a half he had no chance but you do if its only been 4 months and your already down for a colongoscopy that will help but ask for a ct scan and an ultrasound just to be sure. dont ignore what is happening to you please make sure the doctors do everything possible for you make sure you dont get fobbed off please fight if they have caught it in time you will have a fight on your hands but at least you will have a chance something my little brother never had i wish you all the best and hope that its just something small like a small tear in ur anus or hemoroids but if its not and you need someone to talk too im a good listner. oh ive just found a home test kit you can use to see if its something to worry about you need to go to health check shop on the computer its called faecal occult blood test it costs 20pound but theres a help line if ud rather speak to someone first the number is 0845 0941861 i hope ive helped even if its just a little bit keep fighting and try keep your chin up im thinking of you take care

Last edited by brother83; 05-17-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: missed some info

Old 05-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
(female)

brother83 HB User

hi its me again if your worries are getting really bad which they probably will ive just found something that might help its a cancer home test kit the only problem is its 20pound to buy its called faecal occult blood you have to order it on line at the health check shop there helpline is in uk the no is 0845 0941861 what the test does is you need a sample of your #2 if u know what i mean you put it into a small sample bottle and then there is some sort of solution you use this along with the sample ( it might be easier going to the health shop page and read for yourself ) just incase ive said it wrong either way you will get an answer that might help put your mind at rest till the colonoscopy is done i hope ive helped if not im really sorry to have made things harder for you hand on heart i just want to help someone to stop them going through what my baby brother went through i know what it is like to sit helpless and not be able to help.take care sameoldfears

Closed Thread