It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Brain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

aimerz1970 HB User
Unhappy Glioblastoma Stage 4 brain cancer/ astrocytoma

My Mom had a brain tumor removed a few days ago, and is diagnosed with brain cancer. After a family meeting with the surgeon this morning, we are told that she has stage 4 glioblastoma/astrocytoma. She will be going through 6 weeks of radiation as well as chemo therapy and only has a 25% chance that chemo will work. My Mom is 53 years old.

Has anyone experienced this, we are going into this blindfolded and do not know how to help or cope with this. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to aimerz1970:
Kane1116 (10-12-2011)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

sunshine57 HB User
Re: Glioblastoma Stage 4 brain cancer/ astrocytoma

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with a Stage 3 anaplastic astrocytoma on January 8, 2007.Was just wondering if you got any replies on your thread. Also wondering how your mother is doing. Hope all is well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

aimerz1970 HB User

Hello...

Thank you for responding, no I did not receive any replies. My Mom passed away on 12/15/2006. The worst day of my life.

My Mom went through radiation, and chemo twice. Back in May, her MRI showed 3 more tumors and the doctors gave her less than a year to live. She was able to stay home until she lost her Memory in July, then she was in the hospital for awhile, then eventually in a nursing home. She regained her memory for a very brief time in July, but then by August, she lost it again. She did not know who any of her family was. By November, she could no longer speak to communicate. Then slept. Alot. We moved her into hospice care in December.

I really hope the best for your sister in law. I know exactly how you are feeling now. The past year has been a whirlwind of emotions, so I have been there, done that.

Bless her, and your family.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
(female)

sunshine57 HB User

So sorry to hear that your Mother could not beat her battle with the cancer. It sounds like you are a wonderful daughter to have gone through all of this with her, bless your heart. I am sure this was not an easy year for you. Brain cancer takes so much from a person and no one realizes it until seeing your own loved one in that position. My sister-in-law has been in treatment for 3 weeks. Everyday is a surprise, some days are good and some are not. It is really unreal how fast the cancer took over her body once she was diagnosed. Her balance and her memory were really bad the first 2 weeks and now seem to be getting better, of course when one thing gets better something else comes up. She has very severe pain on her left side and also double vision. I guess we never really know what will will have to endure in this life, but this seems to be one of the hardest, as I am sure it was for you. I guess this is the reason we have to live life to the fullest and enjoy everyday the best we can. I hope too that you can see some sunshine and rainbows in your life and continue to help others as you have me by sharing your story. God bless you.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
(female)

boat4ever HB User

I just want to say Im very sorry to hear about your Mother. It sure is a terrible thing when that "C" word enters into are family. God bless you!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
(female)

dalsmm6 HB User

My husband was diagnosed with glioblastoma on 2/06/2006. After 2 surgeries, radiation, and chemo we are now in hospice care here at home with myself as primary caregiver. Can anyone tell me about the progression at end stage? He currently sleeps approx. 23 hrs per day and eats little, communicates very little. I just want to optimize his care and get some idea of a timeline?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Dear dalsmm6

I have never posted on this board before, although I sometimes read here. Cancer is too familiar a word in my circle of family and friends. Your posting has so touched my heart and I wanted you to now that someone out here is going to be praying for your husband and you.

Three years ago I lost a wonderful friend, Mike, to stage 4 glioblastoma/ astrocytoma. His wife is one of my oldest and dearest friends and our children grew up together. I also lost both my father and uncle on the same day due to brain cancer that was a progression of lung cancer. My mom is a survivor of breast cancer and I, myself, am a survivor of myxoid liposarcoma. My mom, dad and uncle were all diagnosed within a week's time. I was the primary care-giver for my parents, so I have have been on both sides of the cancer fence.

Of course, we all know that there really are no timelines. Smiles. Personally, I feel that call is entirely up to God in the end. I truly have no doubt that you are already giving your hubby the most optimal care that you possibly can. All your love for him just shines between the lines of your posting.

I need to tell you, that from my perspective, it is a much harder job being the care-giver vs. the patient. As a care-giver, it is so hard to endure the pain of watching a loved one fade. When my dad was in his last days, I would just speak gently to him and let him know that Mom was okay (she was going through chemo as he was in hospice). I knew this was his greatest concern and when I would tell him that Mom was okay, I could feel his body relax, even though the Morphine sometimes made him agitated. So I guess my only advice to you would be to continue to tell your husband that you love him, let him know that he has been a good husband, and let him know that you will be okay.

Sigh, it is all so sad. But I want you to know that my mom is really fine now and has continued to enjoy her life. There is so much hope for you in this, although it may not feel like that right now.

My niece, at age 6, once wrote to me when we lost my husband's mother, the following words:

"I know that God has an extra special, soft bed waiting for Grandma."

That will be my hope for your husband. And my hope for you is peacefulness in your life.

Sincerely
reach

Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
(female)

aimerz1970 HB User

Sunshine, how is your SIL doing? ******hugs******

Closed Thread