It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Brain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
(male)

Cubbieblue0823 HB User
Brain cancer question

Can a doctor rule out brain tumor with a physical exam and nerological exam? I told my doctor my worries about it they checked my balance checked my eyes and muscle strength then confidently said i didnt have a brain tumor? Can they determine that without a ct?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Brain cancer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbieblue0823 View Post
Can a doctor rule out brain tumor with a physical exam and nerological exam? I told my doctor my worries about it they checked my balance checked my eyes and muscle strength then confidently said i didnt have a brain tumor? Can they determine that without a ct?
The doctor likely felt confident because he/she couldn't detect any physical impairment and your reason to suspect a tumor wasn't convincing enough. The doctor is doing the right thing, in my opinion, because this test is not to be used unless there is some reason to believe that there is a tumor. In the past some people were tested multiple times by different doctors. The problem is: The radiation can add up to a dangerous level.

However, if you think the doctor is wrong, you can always go for a second opinion.

Hope this information helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Yeah, if you pester your doctor enough, he'll probably eventually recommend a CT just to get you off his back/ give you some peace of mind.
But as has been stated, the radiation can add up to dangerous levels if you have enough CT scans in your lifetime, and you'll no doubt need a few when you get old (nearly everyone does), so maybe your best bet is just to trust your doctor's judgment now, and save the CT scans for when you really need them.

I'm speaking from experience, being a hypochondriac who pestered an ENT into giving me a CT scan that I probably didn't need, simply because I was having an episode of health anxiety.
Now that I've learned more about CT scans and the radiation levels they introduce into your body, I wish I hadn't had that scan, even though it gave me some peace of mind at the time.
I'm afraid I'll regret it someday. If I ever do get cancer, I'll always wonder, "Could this have been avoided if I hadn't had that CT scan?"

Best of luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 03-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
(male)

Cubbieblue0823 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
Yeah, if you pester your doctor enough, he'll probably eventually recommend a CT just to get you off his back/ give you some peace of mind.
But as has been stated, the radiation can add up to dangerous levels if you have enough CT scans in your lifetime, and you'll no doubt need a few when you get old (nearly everyone does), so maybe your best bet is just to trust your doctor's judgment now, and save the CT scans for when you really need them.

I'm speaking from experience, being a hypochondriac who pestered an ENT into giving me a CT scan that I probably didn't need, simply because I was having an episode of health anxiety.
Now that I've learned more about CT scans and the radiation levels they introduce into your body, I wish I hadn't had that scan, even though it gave me some peace of mind at the time.
I'm afraid I'll regret it someday. If I ever do get cancer, I'll always wonder, "Could this have been avoided if I hadn't had that CT scan?"

Best of luck.
I also have health anxiety...i went 4 times hehee and the doctor didnt want to do it for my health..im trying to trust her but it gets hard at times thabks for the info really appreciate it. They said all my symptoms are due to stress and anxiety. =)

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

Celticsiren HB User

A CT is not a good diagnostic tool for a brain tumor. A MRI is much better.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
(male)

john30332 HB User

MRI is better; but if you doctor doesn't think it is needed - smile and run out of the office. that will probably be the only time in your life a doctor will err on the side of not-caution. none-the-less, you can probably sleep well at night; your doctor probably knows enough to have told you the right thing.

Closed Thread