It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Brain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

momtosara HB User
Radiation/Chemo vs nothing

My dad was diagnosed with GBM last week, he is 78 yrs old. His tumor is 4-5 cm and it's inoperable. He has significant other health issues also but until today, was a good candidate for radiation and chemo, but now his health is declining. I haven't seen a time prognosis online for him and we are struggling as to help him with a decision to proceed (if dr allows) or enjoy the time he has, with pain management. Suggestion, advice, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by momtosara; 06-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

Celticsiren HB User
Re: Radiation/Chemo vs nothing

I am so sorry. God bless your family. Nothing about this is easy. The tumor 'doubling rate' for GBM is very rapid. If medicare will cover it get another MRI to check the size of the tumor again. If you are going to do something, do it now. He may respond well, and have a little extra time. This could be the time for relatives to come and visit him, watch a movie, go fishing, or whatever he likes and is able to do. Everyone needs to be upbeat and positive or he will feel like he is surrounded by vultures.

For family members, an assignment, watch "The Bucket List" and listen to what Morgan Freeman says to his family.

My son-in-law, 24, has a diffuse brainstem tumor that has 'progressed' to a more malignant cancer. He has expressed frustration many times at the depressed attitude of people around him.

I wish the best for you, your father and the rest of your family. Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
(male)

john30332 HB User
Re: Radiation/Chemo vs nothing

everyone has a certain number of days, but the doctor does not know what they are. none of it is a walk in the park; but some treatments are easier than others. my seven weeks of radiation was the toughest time i experienced with my GBM IV. but it is easy to do and not too difficult to bounce back from. if the doctor thinks he might benefit from just radiation it may be worth considering. avastin and temodar chemotherapy are not too tough either.

Closed Thread