It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Brain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(male)

will5643 HB User
glioblastoma stages

Hello, well, I wish I could tell you that this is going to be a short note, we can only hope.
Let me start at the onset. -

Someone I have known for 40 yrs was diagnosed in July 2011, and 3 weeks of radiation, and half strength chemo, because he is 79 yrs old.
He was still golfing in sept.
My mother was his assistant for 40 years, and he stayed with her under her care for the past four months until two weeks ago this coming Tuesday, and due to the tremendous strain on her, and the fact that he was getting so aggressive, he had to be moved to the hospice.
They (at the hospice) are now filling him with Seriquil and Haldaul , and its making him nuts, so my mother asked them to stop.
He has stopped eating and drinking, and has slept for two days, and they are giving him 100mls of Norval I think it is.
He is angry, we THINK he knows whats going on.. but does he really?
The hospice now says, that they are not going to feed him, be cause he told the nurse that he is ready to die. Now we JUST spoke to his doctor who is also his best friend, and he said to stop giving him fluids, and that it was easier on him to die due to dehydration, that to starve to death.

This is nuts, I want to go and sit by his bed, and stuff pizza and ice cream in his mouth.

We are lost, and dont know what we can do for him now.

Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-23-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: glioblastoma stages

Hi Will

I am so sorry for your pain in all of this. It is so hard to watch someone we care about pass away. I, too, lost a dear, dear friend to glioblastoma. In all honesty, I do not see how a patient saying he is ready to die equates with stopping food to him. I equate it more to the patient underrstanding what is happening to him and accepting it (his coming passing).

My friend was not denied nourishment or water at his time neared. He passed away without denial of them and went naturally. My own dad had brain cancer that metastizied from his lungs and also passed away on his own. Being his power of attorney, I did sign for 'no resusitation" but that was the extent of it. On his last day, I soothed his throat with honey swabs and gave him small bits of ice chips. He had stopped eating on his own a few days previous.

I know that what the doctors and hospice are doing is probably "scientifically' correct, but, boy oh boy, I can understand your upset. Like you, I would be upset if he is being denied anything at all. He will die as a natural progression of the illness... let it happen on its own. Sigh.

There is nothing I can really offer you as it will probably be over before any legal proceedings could be enacted. Talk to him. tell him he is loved. Give him permission to go. My pop left us within a few hours of my telling him that it was okay to let go. Touch him as you talk or just hold his hand. remind him of nice vents shared in your 40 years of friendship.

And be at peace knowing you have cared for him greatly.

Gentle hugs
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread