It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

yourspecialmiss HB User
I have a lump in my breast: should I be worried?

I'm 23 y/o and i have a lump the size of a globe grape in my left breast.
I discovered it about 3 weeks ago. It's not painful, it's kind of moveable and it's pretty hard.

I scheduled an appointment with the breast center and I'll be going in on Tuesday afternoon. A part of me is worried and a larger part of me is not. There hasn't been any woman in my family that has died of cancer, yet alone breast cancer. Am I in denial or something? Has anyone gone through this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

Kalie HB User
Re: I have a lump in my breast: should I be worried?

You should be concerned enough about it to get it checked, but try not to worry yourself sick about it. I was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 25 (I'm 27 now). 2 Drs sent me home without ordering any tests because they said I was "too young" to have breast cancer. I didn't believe them and I finally found a great Dr who performed my biopsy and subsequent mastectomy.

Make sure you get all your questions answered!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

yourspecialmiss HB User

hi Kalie,
I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. 23 and 25 are pretty much the same in terms of age. Are you the first woman in your family to have this? Also, what is a biosy and what is a mastectomy?

I really don't have any questions to ask. What should I be asking? I just want to know if this thing is bening and how/when I can get it removed. I'm guessing there are a lot of other things I should be asking.

Last edited by yourspecialmiss; 08-16-2004 at 08:23 AM.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Hi, I am older than you are (45) and just recently had a lump found on a routine mammogram (my first mam). I was told right then and there by the radiologist that most are not cancerous (like 95%)! Those are pretty good odds. I think you are very wise to have it checked out. Chances are also that IF it is cancerous, since you just noticed it a few weeks ago you would be in the very early stages of it. What they will probably do is a mammogram and ultrasound. Usually an ultrasound can tell them if its just a fluid filled cyst, which is very likely. If so, then most likely nothing else will need to be done. If its not, then you will have a biopsy. I just had one called a sterotactic core biopsy. It really wasn't that bad. If you have more specific questions as time goes by, feel free to post them here those of us who have been through similar things will try to help.
Good luck and you are in my prayers!
Nancy

Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Any news from your appointment? Hope it went well and everything is okay.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
(female)

Kalie HB User

Hello again yourspecialmiss,

A biopsy is minor operation where the surgeon removes the lump (or part of it) and then sends a sample to the lab to see if the cells in the lump are actually cancerous. A lump can be many things from a cyst (fluid filled and non-cancerous) to fibrous (solid tissue, but still non-cancerous) to pre-cancer to cancer. One lump can also be composed of a combination of the above.

Although I had 2 distinct tumors, I also had tiny bits of cancer throughout the breast so I had my one breast removed (mastectomy). I had a plastic surgeon perform reconstructive surgery and now even in a bikini you can't tell I had the breast removed!

I am the only person in my family to have any kind of cancer. Just make sure that your Dr is thorough and finds out for sure one way or another what that lump is. Saying, "it's probably nothing" isn't good enough. Whenever I hear a Dr say "probably" I interrupt them actually

Ask for an ultrasound. This test is very easy to perform and will tell you if the lump is fluid filled or solid which is a good place to start. If it is solid, I think you should have a biopsy b/c there isn't any other way to know for sure if the cells are cancerous. In my experience, it was best to have the lump removed entirely and have the whole thing biopsied b/c part of my lump was non-cancerous and part of it was deadly. What if the surgeon only sampled the part that was benign?

I don't mean to frighten you, I just want you to make sure that you're ok! No one looks out for us better than ourselves. I have found that especially at our age, people are much more likely to say, "it's probably nothing". I hope I don't sound like I'm down on Drs either, b/c the Drs that I ended up with saved my life. Unfortunately, I had to see some not-so-great Drs before I found them.

If you don't mind, pls post back to let me know how you are.

Old 08-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

yourspecialmiss HB User

Thank you for your replies. Kalie, you sound like a strong woman. I'm glad the surgery went well.

I had my appointment yesterday and they performed an ultra sound. They detected the lump and ruled out the possibilty of a cyst. The doctor believes it's fibrous and has suggested that I either do a needle biopsy or remove the lump via surgery. I'm a bit hesitant about the surgery and I asked her about the supplements I heard on the board. She said the supplements will not work for a fibrous lump and surgery (or leaving it in) is the only other option.

Thanks again for your responses. I will be checking in to let you know how things are progressing.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

i also had a first mammogram the doctor called me in to scedule a ultra sound the found a mass said its probley nothing but sent me to see a surgen who now is sending me to have a ultrasound guided biopsy does anyone know if this hurts

Old 08-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #9
(female)

Kalie HB User

Thanks yourspecialmiss. Don't worry too much about your surgery -- it's very simple, quick, and almost painless. When I had my lump removed I didn't even get general anaesthesia, I was awake for the 30 minute procedure. Afterwards, I didn't sleep on my stomach for about a week, but I didn't even need narcotic pain killers. I just took some Advil.

The needle biopsy is even less invasive, but remember the results may not be as accurate due to sampling. If the surgeon removes the entire lump, he can have all those cells checked by the pathologist. If he takes samples with the needle, he could grab part of the lump that is benign, or pre-cancerous, and not realize that 1mm to the right are invasive cancer cells.

When is your procedure? I'll be thinking about you!

dazedandconfused, you are also talking about the needle biopsy. Very little pain involved. I hope everything works out!

Old 08-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

thank u should i tell them to take the whole lump to be sure as far as i know breast cancer doesnt run in the family but my grandmother was adopted and we dont know about her birth parents and she died of cancer my mother has cancer and her brother died of cancer all different cancers im not sure when the procidure is i seen surgeon on tuesday the nurse was soposed to set it up before i left and she asked if she could call me in a couple of days i said yes but if i dont hear from her by noon tommarrow i am calling her bet if it was her she wouldnt be waiting i think he was having a guided ultrasound needle biopsy but it is a nother surgen doing it from the one i seen so maybe he will decide do remove the whole lump

Old 08-20-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
(female)

Kalie HB User

Well, dazed, whether to take the whole lump or not is a decision to be made between you and your Dr. Ask him/her about the pros/cons of both procedures. I can only offer my experience to you, and when my lump was removed it was composed of 3 different types of cells: benign, pre-cancer, & invasive cancer. I was very glad to have that knowledge and I would not have had such complete knowledge if I had the core needle biopsy.

As far as your family history goes, it's good that you don't have a legacy of breast cancer in your family. But, only 10% of women who are diagnosed with breast cancer do have a family history. That means the other 90% (like me) go home thinking, "How did this happen. It doesn't make sense."

Good idea to follow up with the Dr's office. If they don't call you, you must call them!

Old 08-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

thank u i did call they faxed my records to the hospital they are waitng on hospital to call with appointment she said should here on monday

Old 08-22-2004, 11:39 PM   #13

CandySummersRN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourspecialmiss
I'm 23 y/o and i have a lump the size of a globe grape in my left breast.
I discovered it about 3 weeks ago. It's not painful, it's kind of moveable and it's pretty hard.

I scheduled an appointment with the breast center and I'll be going in on Tuesday afternoon. A part of me is worried and a larger part of me is not. There hasn't been any woman in my family that has died of cancer, yet alone breast cancer. Am I in denial or something? Has anyone gone through this?
Cancer is nothing to play games with.......
A history of cancer in familys is just a rule......
"Rules Can Be Broken".........and know this from personal experence as a nurse!

Sincerely

Candy Summers, RN

Old 08-22-2004, 11:44 PM   #14

CandySummersRN HB User

undefinedundefinedundefined

Last edited by CandySummersRN; 08-22-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Closed Thread