It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
(female)

nellie99 HB User
Breast lump and implants

I have implants that are located under the muscle, and about a month or two ago, I found a hard lump in the outer side of my left breast. I've just blown it off and have never asked my doc about it because we are dealing with other health issues at the moment, and I never gave it much thought. However, I thought about it now because it is a little tender tonight. I guess I have just assumed it has something to do with the shell of the implant or something. Has anyone else detected a lump with implants?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
(female)

Kalie HB User
Re: Breast lump and implants

You should have the lump checked by a Dr. Are your implants saline? Saline doesn't form lumps when it leaks b/c it's basically water. The lump is also not likely to be scar tissue forming against the wall of the implant because your implants are under the muscle -- you wouldn't be able to feel a lump under your pectoralis, and your lump is over your pectoralis.

The lump could be a cyst, a fibrous benign mass, or a cancerous tumor. I don't mean to frighten you, but as a breast cancer survivor who found a lump I urge you to get it checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
(female)

nellie99 HB User

Thanks Kalie.

Yes, my implants are saline. I have made an appointment for a physical since my doctor has been hounding me about it anyway, and I've now had a three week long period (maybe that's why the lump was tender). I am 37 and haven't had a physical in 10 years, which is very stupid on my part. I just hate them, but then I think of how selfish it is not to have one because I have four kids and a husband who depend on me. At any rate, I go in on the 30th.

You say that you had breast cancer. Was it caught early? I hope everything is going well for you:-)

Nellie

Old 08-19-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
(female)

Kalie HB User

Don't beat yourself up about not going to the Dr, nellie! Just make sure you take care of yourself from here on out.

Thanks for asking about my health. My cancer was caught at stage II (2 tumors in the left breast, no metastasis or lymph node involvement) which is early and very treatable. That was 2 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I've had a nasty recurrence and it has spread to my lung, liver and back. I just learned that a few wks ago. I am now stage IV and undergoing chemo, but I should be fine in a few months.

The medical community is having a difficult time with breast cancer in women in the their 20s b/c the cancer behaves differently and has different characteristics from cancers in post-menopausal women. I was diagnosed at 25, I'm 27 now.

I think the important thing that people should know about cancer is that it isn't a death sentence. I have to go through some pretty harsh treatments, but I'm going to be fine. Take care of yourself and post back when you learn more about your lump.

I'll be thinking of you!

Old 08-19-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
(female)

nellie99 HB User

I am SO sorry to hear about your recurrence. I promise to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Your positive attitude is definitely an inspiration to us all:-)

God bless,
Nellie

Closed Thread