It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 AM   #1

worryworttx HB User
Breast Duct Removal

Does anyone know about how they actually removed the entire duct?
I am having surgery next Friday, but I can't get a firm answer on the actual surgery or how the procedure will occur.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2004, 05:34 AM   #2

stevie3126 HB User
Re: Breast Duct Removal

Hello,
I was having a spontaneous nipple discharge in March of 2003 and proceeded to seek help due to high risk factors for breast cancer. My mother had pre-menopausal breast cancer and died at the age of 53, so you can imagine that I was extremely concerned. I don't know your specifics and can only tell you how my procedure was preformed and my final pathology outcome. I was brought into the ultrasound department where they located the duct that was in question and placed a needle into that area that protruded out somewhat. I was taken to the holding area of surgery and proceeded with general anesthesia. My doctor made an incision approximately one and a half inch long that was along the line of my aerola. The only complication that I had was from nausea due to anesthesia which I knew would occur because my body does not tolerate pain medications. I can only use ibuprophen for pain, however; they can give you something for the nausea during surgery. I did not experience any excruciating pain, but I have a high tolerence for pain and every individual is different. My final pathology report was a papilloma with atypical ductal hyperplasia, which does put an individual at a higher risk for breast cancer. At first my nipple was somewhat inverted, but with time it is very hard to detect that any surgery was ever performed. The incision is also hard to detect. I have to travel 100 miles to go to the hospital that did my surgery, but you must be proactive in your healthcare today and I was going to go to the best. This particular hospital does cancer patients only and they are a research hospital as well. I see a gyn/oncologist and I believe the 100 mile trip is worth my well-being. I hope everything goes well for you and if I can offer any more help just ask. As for me it was a fairly simple procedure with very little discomfort, but as I stated before every individual is different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread