It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2003, 06:49 AM   #1
Inactive

CCmakes3 HB User
Post Ultrasound images - what does cancer look like?

Hi,
I had a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound yesterday and one ovary looked very different from the other. The right ovary looked small, dark and oval shaped, but the left was at least twice as big and very irregular shaped, with a lot of white streaks inside of it. Does anyone know what this would indicate? I am kind of worried because my doctor only ordered a pelvic ultrasound, but after looking at my left ovary for about 10 minutes, the tech announced that she would have to perform a transvaginal ultrasound. I don't see the doctor again until Tuesday, so I guess I won't know anything until then, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with this. I've tried to find ultrasound pics of ovarian cancer (or even normal ovaries) on the internet but couldn't find a thing.

Old 05-31-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
cc,
I know what you mean... I could not come up with anything in the time I searched, either. I know you are feeling very scared and anxious right now, but you should remember that usually things turn out ok. I don't want to second guess you, and I know little about how they do the US, but I do know they have lots of knobs and dials and can look deep into tissues or stay on the outside.... Are you sure you were seeing both ovaries at the same resolution?

Please try to take a few deep breaths and relax... I know your visit seems months away...just know you are not alone.
wr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 09:08 AM   #3

Robinjkar HB User
I found these pictures,but they are not of ultrasound pictures, they are acual pics.I don't know if that helps or not.I'm going to keep looking because I just had a pelvic ultrasound on Fri and was wondering the same thing.
Robin [url="http://www.bioscience.org/atlases/tumpath/freprod/ovary/ovary.htm"]http://www.bioscience.org/atlases/tumpath/freprod/ovary/ovary.htm[/url]

Old 06-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #4

Robinjkar HB User
Hi, me again, I found these photos, but its really hard to tell what you are looking at.If you try to enlarge the photo it will take you to a "login in" page,If you want to sign up there is a charge.
Robin [url="http://www.emedicine.com/RADIO/topic511.htm#section~pictures"]http://www.emedicine.com/RADIO/topic511.htm#section~pictures[/url]

Old 06-01-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Inactive

CCmakes3 HB User
Thanks for your replies, ladies! I am certainly not an ultrasound expert, but I have had about 7 or 8 of them in my life due to recurrent cysts, pregnancies, etc. I pretty much knew what she was looking at because of the things she would type in onto the screen (for example, "Left ovary, trans view," "Left ovary, long view," etc.) Every image of the left ovary looked very different from the corresponding "view" of the right. But maybe I should just be glad that the right one appears to be OK!

I have so many things racing through my mind right now, including the recent findings that hormone replacement therapy causes cancer, alzheimer's, etc. and are no longer recommending it at all, for anyone. So what will happen to me if I have to have a hysterectomy at 34? I guess at least I have finished having children.

Anyway, you two are so kind to have responded. Robin, the pictures were fascinating and wr, I am taking your advice and trying to breathe easy for the time being. I have a lot of work to keep my busy on Monday, so that is a blessing!

Take care,
CC

Closed Thread