It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #1

Careyanne HB User
Question Underwire bras & breast pain

I have been wearing underwire support bras for the past 6 years thinking I was doing something good to support my breasts. (Background: I am full-figured & have fibrocystic breasts.)

Two weeks ago I began having a deep chest cough from a cold & a week into coughing I felt I had cracked a rib, the pain under my left breast was so severe! The right breast was just a little bit sore but nothing like the pain under the left breast. From one day to the next it seemed it was getting better, then I sneezed & oh my God! The pain was so severe I went to ER 6 days ago. They took a chest xray to rule out pneumonia. No pneumonia detected. I was told I possibly had coughed so much & so hard that I had irritated my chest muscles, was given Demerol & Fenegran for pain & sent home.

The pain seemed like it was getting a little less, then today I woke up & it seemed more painful. The cough has since almost cleared up completely. But the pain remains & I noticed the left breast is warm to the touch while the right breast is noticeably cooler.

Now about the underwire bras....(sorry it's taking me so long to get to my point)....have any of you read or experienced pain due to wearing underwire bras? I'm wondering if this set me up for the pain that my coughing flared up. And is there any studies showing underwire bras can lead to breast cancer?

Thanks & hugs!

[This message has been edited by Careyanne (edited 02-17-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Hey, Careyanne, I thought the name sounded familiar... You sound like you still need help, and if you are not getting adequate and on-going medical treatment for this, find a new doctor. I don't think the bra type has any fault in this, but others may have different opinions. The important thing is what is happening to you now, and I think it has not been resolved, because you are still in a lot of pain... not only that, but one breast is noticeably warmer than the other, so I would think there is some sort of infection or inflammatory process going on. I did notice that you did not say that you were not going to see your doctor (sorry about that awful sentence construction), so I'm going to assume you are still under a doctor's care. I sure hope so, sweetie, 'cause you need to see one again because of continuing/worsening symptoms. Don't let this slide; I doubt that it's just because you cracked a rib (did they look at the X-ray for that?), and you might have something like pleurisy or even an abscess. I know I'm not guessing very good right now, but that's ok, since I'm not a doctor. Just please make sure the doctors take good care of you, and let us know how you're feeling....
wr

Old 02-18-2003, 03:57 PM   #3

Careyanne HB User
Thanks for responding, Winged!

I did a search under "underwire bras" on the web & found some interesting info.
[url="http://www.strategicjungle.com/kathleen/1025bkk.html"]www.strategicjungle.com/kathleen/1025bkk.html[/url] is one site where a health watch reports about a study linking breast cancer with underwire bras.

Also Dr. Sydney Ross has written a book called "Dressed to Kill" showing the relationship between bras & breast cancer.

Dr. Christine Northrup MD says to "stop wearing an underwire bra. Too often this kind of bra cuts off circulation of both blood & lymph fluid around the breast, chest wall & surrounding tissue."

Dr. Jesse Hanley, MD says "not to wear underwire or even tight bras because they block the lymph glands under the breast. Lymph glands play an important role in draining toxins from the breast."

I found all this interesting.

Thanks for your concern. Today the pain is subsiding & I am beginning to believe it may be because I haven't worn an underwire bra since the day I went to ER (almost a week ago). Coincidence? Maybe, but then again, maybe not!

Best wishes!

Old 03-28-2003, 06:22 AM   #4

Katwoman12345 HB User
Hi - I was going to post today asking about breast pain - and I actually thought to myself yesterday if the boned bra had anything to do with it. (my pain is only on the right - and not constant - just an ache that lasts for maybe a minute and goes away) - I do not actually possess any wire-less bras - but after reading your postings, I will go out and buy one and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Kat

Old 04-22-2003, 07:49 PM   #5

enidcoleslaw HB User
Hey, just read your post, and I've had similar pain. Right under my left breast when I wear an underwire bra, it's like a sharp stabbing pain.

I wonder what the connection is, because the pain goes away a few minutes after I remove the bra. I dont think it is cancer related, but maybe there is something else wrong with underwire bras?

Old 07-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #6

mariamommy HB User
There is definitely a lot of sense removing your bra and going without! 90% of the women with fibrocystic breast disease get relief from it if they go without bras. And most likely your breast pain will disappear or diminish a lot if you throw that garment away.

It has been compared to the foot binding process that chinese did... Bras constrict and immobilize breasts, and inhibit the normal lymph flow. They cause the normal ligaments in breasts to atrophy (grow thin and weak) which means your breasts will sag MORE.

Try camisoles/vests instead.

You're on the right track!

Maria

------------------
Breasts are for babies
http://www.00b.com

Old 04-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
Inactive

lammys HB User
Re: Underwire bras & breast pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy
There is definitely a lot of sense removing your bra and going without! 90% of the women with fibrocystic breast disease get relief from it if they go without bras. And most likely your breast pain will disappear or diminish a lot if you throw that garment away.

It has been compared to the foot binding process that chinese did... Bras constrict and immobilize breasts, and inhibit the normal lymph flow. They cause the normal ligaments in breasts to atrophy (grow thin and weak) which means your breasts will sag MORE.

Try camisoles/vests instead.

You're on the right track!

Maria

------------------
Breasts are for babies
http://www.00b.com
They can actually make them sag MORE? WOSERS!
For years I used to have 36DDD breasts. I lost A LOT of weight and of course they "fell". Lately, they've seemed even worse. I also have been getting funny pains in my left breast only. I went to my Gyno and he said I'm too young for breast cancer since I'm only 22! He said that I do have fibrocystic breasts and that could be what I'm feeling. My pain is on the top of my left breast..I can feel a lump, and when I push on it it stings! Any sugggestions?!?!

Old 05-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #8

pibiller HB User
Re: Underwire bras & breast pain

I too had been wearing underwire bra's for added support for years and the pain I had was in both breasts and it was quite severe. I stopped wearing bra's altogether and went to camasols and the pain went away within three days. I tried wearing one over this past weekend just to see what would happen and by the end of the day on the second day the pain was coming back with a vengeance. I'm really beginning to think it's bra's that cause the pain.

Closed Thread