It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #1

emarion HB User
Post sore on breast

i have what i can best describe as a sore on one of my breasts. it started several months ago as a small patch of dry skin and has grown and gotten red, won't go away. i am scared that this is a symptom of breast cancer. does anyone have experience with this sort of thing???

Old 07-07-2002, 04:23 PM   #2

Ltb3105 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by emarion:
i have what i can best describe as a sore on one of my breasts. it started several months ago as a small patch of dry skin and has grown and gotten red, won't go away. i am scared that this is a symptom of breast cancer. does anyone have experience with this sort of thing???
Please get it checked out, if anything, for peace of mind. I waited for my first mammo and now I've got a suspicious cyst and see a surgeon tomorrow!

Never wait especially when something doesn't go away. Let us know how you make out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2002, 06:41 PM   #3

emarion HB User
went to the doc today and he is having me put lamisil on it for a couple weeks and if it doesn't heal go to a dermatologist. i'm a little concerned about putting something that says for ATHLETE'S FOOT on the box. i hope it can't hurt me!

Old 07-09-2002, 05:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
i would call the makers of lamisil ..you should be able to get that info off the box and ask them if it can be used elsewhere safely..but if it were me i wouldnt wait ..i would see a dermatologist right away...also you mite ask the dr if he thinks a mamogram is called for....

Old 07-09-2002, 06:13 AM   #5

emarion HB User
i think since it is not a lump, it's on the surface only, they aren't concerned about a mammogram. unfortunately i can't go to the derm without a referral, so i will have to wait the 2 weeks. gotta love insurance...

Old 07-09-2002, 09:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
not to scare you ..but a lump isnt the only breast cancer symptom
Early breast cancer usually does not cause pain. In fact, when breast
cancer first develops, there may be no symptoms at all. But as the
cancer grows, it can cause changes that women should watch for:

A lump or thickening in or near the breast or in the underarm area.
A change in the size or shape of the breast.
A discharge from the nipple.
A change in the color or feel of the skin of the breast, areola, or
nipple (dimpled, puckered, or scaly).

A woman should see her doctor if she notices any of these changes.
Most often, they are not cancer, but only a doctor can tell for sure.

Old 07-10-2002, 08:07 PM   #7
(female)

DawnP HB User
Search on the internet for information on Paget's Disease. It is breast cancer that starts as an exema (sp?) patch on the skin. I don't want to alarm you but want you to be aware so in case this is the situation it isn't left untreated. I read on Oncolink that usually there will be no accompanying lump in the breast so a mammogram would likely come out negative. I would recommend that you see a good breast surgeon to be safe! All the best to you and please let us know how you are!

[This message has been edited by DawnP (edited 07-10-2002).]

Old 07-11-2002, 06:01 AM   #8

emarion HB User
thanks for the info. i'm a little relieved that my patch isn't on the area they described (and i'm half the age of the typical age of onset as well). but i think i will call for a referral in one week instead of two!

Old 08-30-2003, 10:57 PM   #9

DeborahA HB User
Question

I have quite a similar spot on my breast. We had some kind of itchcy, awful dermatitis, were seeing dermatologists on a monthly basis, I have scars on my body and so does my husband from the episode. We were treated for scabies, for non-specific dermatitis, you name it. I spent $1.500. in the first six months of 2002 on prescriptions and OTC meds, mostly steroid creams and antibiotics. It finally stopped, spontaneously, when my husband changed jobs, I knew others in his workplace were complaining of strange rashes as well. I had it much worse than my husband did, I couldn't wear street clothng and actually had to quit my job, I couldn't bear anything around my waist. I'm lucky I had freelance connections to fall back on. I don't know if it was a chemical or a parasite or whatever in his workplace, but we are all clear, thank goodness.

My skin cleared up everwhere 6 months ago, everywhere except this one tiny patch just on the the areole of my left breast. This grew larger and more irritated and in spite of Bactroban, etc., it's not improving. It hurts, too much to press on and feel around to see if there is a lump underneath or around. On reading on the net, it fits the parameters for Paget's. It stays raw, gets a little crusty, itches, doesn't ooze, but doesn't ever heal, never gets smaller. I've never gone back to bras though I am in regular clothes agiain after the dermatitis. Bras just hurt too much, kind of scraping the area. It's about the size of a cigarette burn, maybe a little larger, red, raw, hurts way too much to be touched even quite gently through the top of my nightie during sex. It makes me not want sex at all, I draw back, afraid I'll bump it, scrape it. This is beginning to be a real problem, the lack of intercourse and normal sex, though I take care of my husband, I just have no desire for regular, mutual sex because of fear of being hurt. My right breast is fine. I've blown off my last couple of mammaograms, I'm 48, in full peri-menopause. I was kind of hoping it would finally heal like the others (though they looked different, smaller, more like pimples) until my best friend stopped by today and I showed her and she got quite upset. She's a cancer survivor, so her fear is infective. I am calling the gyn first thng Tuesday morning, in the meantime, should I even be fretting? Pagets is only 1% of breast cancer cases, is that, along with my weird circumstances, enough to disqualify me from further worry?

Any advice? Anything to try to apply to the lesion to cut down on the topical pain, something that might heal it? I have Bactroban from my dermatologist days, nothing to stop topical pain. Should I not add anything to the Bactroban until I see my gyn? It doesn't seem to be helping. I just started taking antibiotics from the dentist, I have an infected tooth, I'm wondering if they will help, though antibiotics didn't do a thing for the original dermatitis, whatever that was.

Thanks for letting me get the questions and explanations out, also thanks for letting me vent. Worry is a terrible thing, I can feel my hair get grayer.

[This message has been edited by DeborahA (edited 08-31-2003).]

Closed Thread