It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #1

gardening_grand HB User
Has anyone had a wire guided biopsy?

I am scheduled to have a wire guided biopsy on May 18th.was wondering how much discomfort people have with this.Doctor said to day the area would be about the size of a golf ball.The diagnosis was moderately suspicious malignancy .Thanks for any replys in advance Robin

Old 05-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #2

triplet HB User
Re: Has anyone had a wire guided biopsy?

I had one a month ago. When I had my mammo done they saw some changes so I proceeded to have a sonogram where they found a suspicious area. The radiologist suggested a repeat sono in 6 months in which I promptly said no way. I have cystic breast and am scared to death that one day one of those little cysts will be cancer. So i wanted the whole thing removed. Since they couldn't feel it I needed the wire guide biopsy. Mine might be a little different than what your having since I was having mine removed. It was more nerve wracking waiting for the day to do it then it actually was. I went to the radiology department and they did the sono again and then they proceeded to insert the needle into the cyst. I have had many cysts drain and it always amazes me how painless they are for me. Well same for this , just a little pressure and they taped the wire down and off to the or for me. The biggest problem I had was waiting for those results to come back. I hope this helps you and I hope all goes well for you. ( Sorry if this is more info than you needed)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Once you arrive to the hospital on the day of your surgery, you will be taken to the mammography suite in the Radiology Department prior to the surgery.

A technologist will meet with you, explain the procedure, and The radiologist will then enter the room and talk to you about your case and the procedure. The breast will be cleansed and then local anaesthetic given. Then, a needle will be placed into your breast and then a mammogram taken to localize the breast lesion (and the tip of the needle). Many times the needle needs to be repositioned, but you should not feel this. Once the needle tip is successfully placed within the abnormality in question, a flimsy wire is passed through the needle and the needle removed. The wire tip is in the abnormality of question and is used to guide the surgeon to the abnormality. The wire is secured with a bandage and you are then transferred to surgery for the excisional biopsy. As mentioned, your surgeon performs the biopsy. The anesthetic works well for most women and they say that really the most uncomfortable part of the whole procedure is the period some of them have to wait before the operating room is ready for them - they have to lay there with the guide-wire in place and no one likes to lay in the same position for very long. Hopefully, your surgeon will be right on time and your case will go quickly. Your surgery should take about 45 minutes or a bit longer. Good luck to you - let us know your results!

Old 05-06-2005, 08:37 PM   #4

gardening_grand HB User

Thank you triplet and smithn for your very fast replys.I know what ya mean about the wait .This can be such a dragged out process. For me mammo april 14,spot compression april 19, see surgeon may 5, wire guided biopsy may 18,then who knows how long for results. I don't think I will have any nerves left by then Thanks again I will update youwhen the time comes

Old 05-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

You should have your results within three days. If you don't hear from your doctor by then, call his office, ask for his nurse and tell her you want your results. She should be in contact with your doctor nearly every day in person or via page. Oftentimes, results sit in a doctor's mail folder until they are either brought to his attention or until he finally gets a break from his busy call and can sit and do some good desk time.

Closed Thread