It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User
Question about red spot on breast

I am 42 years old and my mother had breast cancer, so I naturally get concerned when I see changes in my own breasts. I faithfully have yearly breast exams with my GYN as well as an annual mammogram. I admit to not being so good about my self-exams . About 5 weeks ago, my husband noticed a red spot on the upper (outer) left side of my left breast - he at first thought it was a pimple. I didn't look like a pimple to me, but I was busy and just didn't pay much attention to it. I looked at it later and realized it felt raised on the skin and when I pushed harder on it, I noticed that it felt hard underneath, but not real deep (if that makes any sense). I decided it was probably just a skin irritation and left it alone. The color seems to change from time to time - sometimes it's darker red and other times it's lighter red and there seems to be what I can only describe as a shadow around it. When I pull the skin taught around it I can actually see the "lump" which is quite irregular in shape - it's very small though - maybe only .75cm.

I have noticed that my left breast seems to be a little bigger than my right and when I put my bra on this morning I really noticed that the left side did not fit as well as the right. It seems to be bigger around the outside. Isn't it normal for one breast to be larger than the other anyway?

I have an appointment later this week with my GYN to have this looked at, but I've been curious to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this. I know breast cancer shows up in different forms for everyone and since this doesn't fit the "feels like a marble, or a pea, or a grape" symptom I thought I'd see is familiar with anything like this.

I'm not easily scared - I'm very realistic, so if anyone has been diagnosed with breast cancer by something that started out like what I've described, please don't be afraid to share it with me.

I'm grateful for any comments!

Last edited by tinamarie0914; 06-13-2005 at 12:26 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinamarie0914:
wwwgirl (04-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #2

gardening_grand HB User
Re: Question about red spot on breast

Tinamarie
The best thing you can do is see your gyn. as others on this board have said NO lump should be left unchecked. One time I did have a red spot on the side of my breast.It was kind of like a boil.It was red ,Then started draining later and just went away.My breast have never been the same size right one always bigger. when I went for my mammo I was just going for routine check as I did not feel any lump.I was diagnosed with DCIS. which is early stage cancer.So definitely get this checked out .Best of luck to you .Hope everything comes out clean.Robin

Old 06-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

tinamarie0914 HB User

Thanks for your reply, Robin! Is it true that if a lump is cancerous it won't be detected so close to the surface of the skin? Of course now I'm a little more nervous, because when I checked it tonight I do feel a larger lump deeper underneath it. I have very dense breasts though so it could all be my imagination. I'm trying to just ignore it until I see my doctor on Wed., but everytime I look at my husband and/or my little girl I start worrying again.

Thanks again for responding - I appreciate your time.

Tina

Old 06-14-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamarie0914
I am 42 years old and my mother had breast cancer, so I naturally get concerned when I see changes in my own breasts. I faithfully have yearly breast exams with my GYN as well as an annual mammogram. I admit to not being so good about my self-exams . About 5 weeks ago, my husband noticed a red spot on the upper (outer) left side of my left breast - he at first thought it was a pimple. I didn't look like a pimple to me, but I was busy and just didn't pay much attention to it. I looked at it later and realized it felt raised on the skin and when I pushed harder on it, I noticed that it felt hard underneath, but not real deep (if that makes any sense). I decided it was probably just a skin irritation and left it alone. The color seems to change from time to time - sometimes it's darker red and other times it's lighter red and there seems to be what I can only describe as a shadow around it. When I pull the skin taught around it I can actually see the "lump" which is quite irregular in shape - it's very small though - maybe only .75cm.

It sounds more like a cyst but even so, you need to have it checked out.

I have noticed that my left breast seems to be a little bigger than my right and when I put my bra on this morning I really noticed that the left side did not fit as well as the right. It seems to be bigger around the outside. Isn't it normal for one breast to be larger than the other anyway?

It is common for one breast to be larger than the other.

I have an appointment later this week with my GYN to have this looked at, but I've been curious to know if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this. I know breast cancer shows up in different forms for everyone and since this doesn't fit the "feels like a marble, or a pea, or a grape" symptom I thought I'd see is familiar with anything like this.

I'm not easily scared - I'm very realistic, so if anyone has been diagnosed with breast cancer by something that started out like what I've described, please don't be afraid to share it with me.

We're all very glad to know you'll be seeing your GYN! Breast cancer doesn't take on any same, certain symptom. It can be different each time with each individual. Because you have a family history of breast CA, you will forever need to keep a close watch on your breast health! Please let us know how your appt. goes. A mamm and ultrasound are in order.

I'm grateful for any comments!

Closed Thread