It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 08:02 PM   #1

mariposa01 HB User
Rash around nipple that won't go away

I've had a rash around my left nipple for about five months. I first noticed it right before I had my annual mammogram and the technician looked at it and said it was probably nothing to worry about. She did say that I should call my doctor though which I neglected to do. Has anyone ever had this and should I be concerned?

Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
(female)

Jennihul HB User
Re: Rash around nipple that won't go away

You have to be really specific if it is ON your actual nipple or just on your areola, around your nipple.

Some breast cancers can manifest as red patches although they are the rarest kind. Called Inflammatory Breast Cancer, they don't come with lumps or the usual symptoms, just a flushing that is unexplainable (ie: not from sunburn,etc) and doesn't clear up. This kind of cancer is very deadly and very QUICK to spread. You have had yours awhile, so I doubt this is what you have.

Crusty, red NIPPLES can come from a type of breast cancer called Paget's. Not to be confused with Paget's Disease, which manifests in bones. Dr Paget was a busy man, apparently. It is usually one-sided and only the nipple is involved in the reddish appearance. This is also somewhat rare.

Red rashes and itchy spots on the areola are more common and usually benign. We see it in alot of people with food allergies, sensitivities to laundry products and general acne problems. Sometimes caused by eczema.

You should show a doctor so you can be evaluated. It's probably nothing to worry about, but if it is something you need to understand waiting is not in your favor. Almost all breast cancers are survivable if handled early.

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

smithn HB User

Jennifer said it best -

Definitely have your doctor evaluate this problem. Also, keep in mind that mamm techs are not qualified in any way, shape, or form to make any diagnostic decisions. In fact, (I don't think you should) this tech could lose her job if you reported her.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Inactive

seekalot HB User

Hi mariposa, I'm impressed, you got great comments from both these posters. Hope you will heed them and get this checked out right away, just on the slight chance it is a problem that needs timely treating.

I say this because I had itching and redness in one nipple and it turned out to be the Paget's (which as Jennifer mentioned is pretty rare, but you never know...) I am completely fine now and they say this type is very unlikely to recur. Also luckily for me, and for you in the unlikely case you may have it, it is one of the slowest-growing and my doctor said easiest cancers to treat. But over the LONG TERM (many years) it WILL threaten your life, so why don't you get it checked out as soon as you can just to stay safe!

Closed Thread