It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Unhappy Help Please - what might happen next?

Hi Everyone,

I am almost 55 yrs. old. I just had my yearly mammogram about 2 wks ago. All my other mammograms have been fine. I do have fibrocystic breasts (lumpy), so I cannot tell - and hardly ever check - if I have lumps. Anyway, my drs. office called and said the dr. (gyno) wants to talk to me about my mammogram. This has never happened b4. If he wanted another regular slide of a mammo. from another angle, he would have just said so.

What reasons do drs. call you in for concerning your mammograms? I have to wait til monday to go and find out. Any answers or thoughts would be very helpful. Also, if any of you would reply with any stories or anything that I could look up and therefore be semi-prepared for this dreaded dr. visit!!! :<

Do they do anything between a mammogram and a biopsy? How are biopsys done - in dr. office or outpatient or what? I am going wacko thinking and waiting!

Please reply with any info.

Thanks Wannabe

Old 11-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
(female)

mrsg1202 HB User
Re: Help Please - what might happen next?

They usually do another mammo first, then an ultrasound if necessary. The biopsy, if necessary, can be done in the hospital as an outpatient. But, since you are not being called back for another mammo or ultrasound, I wouldn't be too worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hi ToBeFree,

I am 54 and also have lumpy breasts I have had normal mammograms, the last one being last December. A couple of weeks ago, I found a lump in my right breast....it felt totally different from any of the other 'lumps'. I saw my doctor today and she wanted me scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound, and wanted me to see a surgeon. Luckily I was able to get all the appointments within three weeks. (My doctor was hoping for 2 weeks.) I guess nothing happens all at once. They will use the mammogram and ultrasound for evaluation, but no treatment is done until you have a consult with the surgeon. If your regular doctor performs surgeries, I imagine you would stay with that doctor. Mine does not do surgeries. That is as much of your question I can answer. I don't know anything about the diagnostic mammogram or ultrasound, or anything about biopsys or needle aspirations. I guess the type of lump they find, determines the outcome.
Mine is about 4-5 centimeters and firm, but it moves around a little and is not fixed. I would love to have some info on what can be expected at each visit.
If anyone has any answers, I'd be glad to read them, too. Good Luck!

Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your help.

GingerTea, how long did it take b4 they called you after your mammogram? Did they just say to come in and talk about it or any further info? Of course, you found the lump. I felt nothing but all sizes of lumps (bumpiness) and not tenderness. Is your lump tender?

When my gyno examines my breasts at my regular yearly exam, he did hesitate on one side, but I guess, then went on because he knew I was fixing to have my yearly mammogram.

One more thing. It might make a difference in what my dr. has me do (diagnostic wise), because I have a $5,000. deductible. And he knows that unless it is absolutely necessary, to hold off until the 1st of next year. I thought we were going to get away with only paying around 2,000 - 2,500 this year. But, if I have to have several tests, I just might make it! This health insurance is driving us to the poor house!!!

Ok, so any more ideas or answers and such? Anyone? Thanks in advance for the help.

Take care. Wannabe

Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 AM   #5
(female)

Stavia HB User

I had an abnormal mammogram for the first time last month. The hospital where I had it done called me the next day to tell me and to schedule a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. Neither my doctor nor I had felt any lumps.

I had the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound done 2 days ago. The ultrasound tech was very chatty so I took advantage of that and asked a lot of questions. According to the tech, ultrasounds, unlike mammograms, are very good at distinguishing between cysts and solid masses. Cysts are not and don't become cancerous, wheresas solid masses may or may not be cancerous. Biopsies are done to determine whether a solid mass is cancerous or not.

I was told before I left the hospital that I had a cyst and that nothing needed to be done about it unless it became painful; then it could be aspirated. I'm waiting to talk to my doctor now; I think I'll feel more comfortable if he confirms the "nothing needs to be done" part.

I don't know if this helps at all; just thought I'd relay my experience. Good luck and try not to worry. I keep hearing that the overwhelming majority of abnormalities are benign.

Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

Hi ToBeFree,

I found the lump myself....my last mammogram was clear. I haven't been in for the diagnostic mammogram or ultrasound yet. I, too, have very lumpy breasts, but this lump felt so different, I knew it wasn't normal. It has definite boundaries and is round and firm. I have the ultrasound/mammo in a little over a week, and my doctor said to come in and discuss the findings one to three days after that. She also had me make an appointment with a surgeon.......even tho I don't have a diagnosis yet. I think she is just being cautious.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi there,

Thanks Stavia and GingerTea,

Your information and stories helped me a lot! Thanks for talking. I do not feel less anxious, but do feel some better because I am now more knowledgable! And I know that lots of other people go thru the same thing. I hope you have good results on your procedures gingertea. And Stavia, I hope your dr. says all is good and not to come back for awhile!

So I might have to have a diagnostic mammogram and a breast Ultrasound. Then it goes from there. Either a biopsy/needle apiration or ? I should take it one step at a time and start with the dr. Then I can probably have the 1st 2 things next week also. It is just 2 doors down from my gyno. and not too busy, usually!

Thanks again ladies. I will report back next week after the dr. appt. This weekend, I will research the net. Probably should not, as it might scare me more, but I do seek out as much info as I can about health problems (mine and my relatives).

Take care. Wannabe

Last edited by WannaBeFreeToRoam; 11-03-2005 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone/anyone,

I know, I have been posting on someone elses thread, talking to gingertea, but here are some questions that I need answered.

Some history: I went to my gynocologist yesterday, because he called me to talk about my mammogram (yearly). My husband went with me for support. The doctor said that my breasts were very dense and that I had a 1cm node in my upper left quadrant of my left breast. He wanted me to get a diagnostic/compression mammogram and a breast ultrasound. One hospital I could go to, would take 3 weeks to get in and the other one that is 1 hr. away (Hermann Hospital/Houston) would take 1 week. I chose the 1 hr. away one. I called and they gave me an appointment on Friday!!! It is sort of a relief (not as long to go beserk) to get it done so fast!

Also, when each procedure is done, if needed and if they can or have room, they can go ahead and do either the needle aspiration or a nodule/lump biopsy in the same day! Would be nice!!

These are my questions:

Does a compression/diagnostic mammogram hurt? I hear that they squash your breast a lot harder. And do they do it with the same type of machine as a yearly mammogram?

Also, is a breast ultrasound done the same way a abdominal ultrasound is? Or is it different?

More ?s:

If needed, does a needle aspiration hurt much? Do they give you pain or valium meds? Is it a big needle?

And, how does a lump/nodule biopsy work? Does it hurt, do they give you pain meds or valium?

I would appreciate any answers, stories or help. Thanks in advance.

Wannabe

Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 AM   #9
(female)

Stavia HB User

I haven't had a needle aspiration or a biopsy, but I can tell you about my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.

My diagnostic mammogram was done on the same machine as the screening mammogram. They took one shot that was exactly like the shots they take for screening; it didn't feel any different than the screening shots. They also took 2 shots using different "plates" (I'm not sure what they're called); the "plates" were smaller and they felt more comfortable to me. I always find mammograms pretty uncomfortable, so this was a relief.

The ultrasound was just like a pelvic or abdominal ultrasound. It didn't hurt a bit.

It's good that you were able to get an appointment quickly. I had to wait a week for mine and then on the morning of the appointment the hospital called to reschedule me for 5 days later. The longer I waited, the more ridiculous my mental state became.

Good luck on Friday ! I'll be thinking of you.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Stavia,

Thanks for the reply. It helped me to at least understand the 1st two steps. So, that is not completely different, it is just whatever happens next, or not! I am sure that I will at least have an aspiration.

I am a little freaked, but so far, it is controllable. Just do not want to do much of anything, but I know I should keep myself busy! My nervousness is bubbling just below the surface and comes out every now and then!!! :<

I will report back this weekend. Hope that it is good news. Thanks again.

Wannabe

Old 11-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully this is my last update on this topic. I have no problems/no cancer of the breast. The Spot/Compression mammogram was done 1st. They had my picture/old (film on the wall) and the tech. only took 1 picture. It was of the one area and they did press harder. But to me, it did not hurt, much. When the tech came back from developing that one, she said it looked like a lymph node!

Then I went down the short hall in my lovely "shirt" to the ultrasound room. A different technician did the breast ultrasound. Had to lay on my right side and raise my left arm over my head. She greased me up - mostly under my left arm and then on the left upper quarter of my left breast. She checked me out thoroughly and I watched the screen. She took 6 pictures. She took them out for the doctor to see and they both came back in. The dr. said, that she and the technician could not see a thing. Just normal breast tissue.

She thinks that when they did the spot/compression, that my lump, flattened out (it was only 1 cm). I did ask them about a black spot I saw several times on the screen, and they said that was a blood vessel?!!! I guess that tells you not to guess at what you think it might be. Just wait and let them tell you what it is or is not!

They did have all my mammograms to compare the new ones to. And I looked at my last one, from October. There was a white spot on there, so something was there, and I am very glad that I went to get it all checked out! And I am very happy that I am past that! At least for this year!!! :>

They will send the report to my gyno dr. and he will either call me or tell me to come in. So I will have to wait til sometime next week!

Keep having your mammograms, ladies. I had my 1st one when I was 40. Then one every 2 years. When I turned 50, I had 1 every year. It really helps the technicians to have something to compare your new ones to. And if I had cancer, it would have caught it early enuf, I think.

Take care. Wannabe

Old 11-14-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

That's great news To Be Free! It must take a load off your mind. You can never be too cautious when it comes to breast health!

Closed Thread