I had my diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound last week. The lump I found on the right breast is a solid mass and the radiologist classified it as probably benign. The ultrasound detected it and found it to be solid. It measured 7 x 4 x 5 mm, and could be felt by all the techs. Strangely enough it didn't show on the mammogram. Probably because I have dense breasts to begin with. They found a small cluster of 3 microcalcifications on my left breast, and took several pictures of those. The radiologist also classified those as probably benign, so both abnormalities are classified as Bi-Rad 3's. The radiologist wants a re-check in 6 months. My regular doctor wants me to keep the appointment to see the surgeon, and let her make the final determination. Is it usual to follow-up with a surgeon after getting a probably benign diagnosis? Has anybody on this board had to have a biopsy or surgery with a probably benign diagnosis? My mammogram less than a year ago was clear, so these are new abnormalities. My Mother had breast cancer at age 58, so I wonder if they are just being cautious? I am a big wimp when it comes to needles, so the thought of a biopsy gives me the creeps. Any input would be appreciated!
If I were you, I would keep the appt. with the surgeon. And, I would want a biopsy, just to make me feel better about the lump and to make sure it is benign. I have heard that some go away by themselves. But, I am a big scaredy cat and would have to make for sure that it was not cancer!!! But, that is just my opinion.
And you used the word "probably" a lot. Probably - leaves something to the imagination and is not a for sure "not". Because your lump is large, I would not wait 6 months to go back. If you wait any time at all, only wait 3 mo. Do not take any chances - in case it does grow!
Take care of you. Hopefully someone that has had this before will reply.
I plan on keeping the appointment. "Probably" was the term used by the radiologist,
but I think all classifications of BiRad 3 are termed "probably" benign. I'll leave it to the surgeon to decide what to do. She specializes in that area, so I would guess she could tell me more after she examines everything. I just wondered if anyone with a Bi-Rad 3 rating ended up with a biopsy. The lump appeared so quickly, it took me by surprise. Then for the mammogram to find something abnormal in the other breast too, just took me by surprise.
I agree that if for no other reason than for peace of mind, I would at least ask about the biopsy. I am not sure what my reading was, but a year and a half ago I had something suspicious turn up on my mammogram. The ultrasound did not resolve the issue. Even though the radiologist said my chances of cancer were less than 1 in 10, they recommended a biopsy as did my gyn. I went ahead and had it and it was not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be. I also had the results (negative as expected thank God) in two days, which was sooner than I expected. I had what is called a stereotactic core biopsy.
gingertea i am kinda going through the same thing have been having mamograms and ultra sounds because of abnormal mam which said benign but seeing a breast specilest ultra sound showed solid mass in both breast the radaolgest cocerned about left breast spec concerned about right had a biopsy schelduled now im having a breast mri done in am before biopsy everthing soposed to be binign so why breast mri at a special womans place im confused also
Thanks all for answering! I guess I just need to wait and see what the surgeon says. Seems that's all I'm doing lately......waiting. Oh well, guess I'm learning patience.
BioAdoptMom3.....what is a stereotactic core biopsy? How long does it take, and does it hurt? I've read about it, but would rather hear from someone who's actually had it done. Does anyone know if they can biopsy both breasts for different abnormalities in one day? It seems they use different techniques on different problems. DazedandConfused1.....are you having the MRI and biopsy done at the same time? Sounds like you have a problem in each breast too. Let us know how it goes. Are any of you ladies peri-post menopausal yet....sometimes it depends on your age on the treatment they decide. I'm 53 and still have regular cycles.....bummer, I know.
they put biopsy on hold till results of mri which i had done this morning they said it would take 5 to 7 days for the doctor to get results so im waiting to it is nerve racking sometimes let us know how yours turns out
The stereotactic core biopsy is done if the lump is not easily accessible and cannot be felt with the human hand. It takes about an hour. When I went they had me lie on a table on my stomach with my breast in question hanging through a hole. They were very compassionate, both the radiologist and the techs and I have heard similar stories from other women. They compressed it like they do in a regular mammogram which actually is a blessing because the compression stops the blood from circulating as well so you feel less pain.
When they numbed it all I felt was pressure and I am not exaggerating at all. When they first went in I felt a pinch bad enough to make me say ouch. They apologized and said they would give it a minute or two longer. They did and I never felt anything other than pressure again. When they were done the tech had to compress it with a gauze pad for about 10 minutes, then they bandaged it and I was free to go. If I did not take extra strength tylenol around the clock for those first 24 hours I would start having pain, but by the next day I didn't even need that. The results came in within two days.
I am 46 and may be in peri, but no doctor has told me that and I have had no hot flashes, so probably not.
Thanks BioAdoptMom3. The lump I have is very easy to locate, so I guess that probably excludes that type of biopsy. If I stretch my arm way above my head, part of the lump pushes against my skin and you can see the outline. By this time tomorrow at least I'll know if the surgeon plans on any kind of biopsy, or just plans to watch it for awhile. I've been on edge all day, just because of the unknown! Isn't that silly? I'm probably getting myself worked up for nothing.
I saw the surgeon this morning, and she checked out the mammo and ultrasound and did a breast exam and another ultrasound and said that unless I felt something growing, I could wait 3 months and come back in to be checked. No needles this time! The 'mass' is probably just some thickening and one small complex cyst she wants to watch. All that stress over needles for nothing!
well i went and had my mri done tuesday morning they said it would take at least 5 to 7 days before my doctor got the results my doctor called me the next day wensday and said they contacted her by phone i need a stereotactic biopsy highly suspicious of cancer can they be wrong could it turn out to be benign
bioadoptmom3 when u had your stereotactic biopsy did u have to have chest and lung ex-rays before your biopsy? i had a breast mri done said doctor wouldnt get results back for 5 to 7 days they called my doctor next morning to tell me highly suspicious for cancer to do a stereotactic and my doctor set me up for x-rays and my biopsy but i need these test before my biopsy and to sign papers
Dear DazedandConfused, an MRI has a scale based on the weight of the tumor, which indicates the liklihood of a mass being malignant...I hope and pray your mass is benign, but having been in the field for years, I am inclined to agree with a surgeon I knew years ago who specialized in breast cancer:
he one day confided in me that he did not understand at all women who shrunk from having a breast biopsy or who insisted on "keeping" a breast which was shown to have breast cancer and could cost the woman her life...
I do not believe in "watching" a mass, whether it will "grow" or not--that is impossible to "watch it" first of all, and second, why take the risk? That's sloppy medicine on the doctor's part IMO...if you have a mass that gets your attention, then for life's sake, get a biopsy...quickly...breast tissue is highly plasic, that is things grow and spread in it readily...if the biopsy comes back positive for malignancy, do not opt for the "simple" but get rid of the breast...the risks just ain't worth keeping the breast...besides, who wants a diseased, rotten breast anyway?
I knew a case in which the girl went for the simple--by the time she and the surgeon realized the cancer was not completely removed, it had wrapped itself around her esophagus and aorta...she died, leaving a 5 year old son parentless...the grief her mother (my best friend) and her son deal with every day can not be assauged or comforted...every day this girl's mother and son hurt for loss of this beautiful young mother...all because she tried to keep a diseased breast intact, and her doctor concurred in this decision! I have had many many elderly patients who had a radical mastectomy "years ago",ie. ten, twenty, thirty, years ago...what does that tell you about the survival rates? These ladies lived to a "ripe old age", fully enjoying their lives...I realize there is chemo and new radiation therapies etc. and that it is not politically "correct" to be advocating radical surgery, especially if you don't know if its malignant yet or not, but I am encouraging you with all my heart to go after this with the attitude of "get rid of it if it's gonna kill me..." type view...that is the view this successful surgeon had and he imparted to his patients...few of them died from breast cancer...they were survivors, and were thrilled to be survivors...patients that let doctors "whittle" at a cancer a little at a time, end up dead...if it's malignant (God forbid!) then command your doctor to get rid of it--all of it with a wide resection...hopefully it will turn out benign, but this is written in case it is not to encourage you to fight for life...I sincerely mean it that i will be praying for you and hoping fervently that it is benign...
cannalee it started over a year ago i had my first mammogram then came a letter from hospital and a call from the doctor abnormal mamogram he sent me to a surgen who sent me to hospital for a biopsy i went the doctor who was to do the biopsy was late and they had a paitent that was preped for surgery he did a quick us said it was a cyst wait 6 months have doc re ck that was for right breast went back to doc he said wait have us in 6 months i did went for us they took us radioligest came in and said why are they doing your right im concerned with the left so doc made app. for left hospital lost my mammograms got my report for left it said previous mammo not located area of hypoechogenicity in left breast hypoechoic mass further management decisions should be based predominantly on clinical findings went back to doc my lump could never be felt he said not to worry well i called a breast specalist got a appointment she did a ultra sound on both breast another mammogram but mammogram said benign finding for these she also had a dignostic mammo wait 3 months and went back they repeated us her radeoligist was concerned set me up for core biopsy that week when i got home message from them to go and get a mammo of left before my biopsy went back to doc she said she was waiting on biopsy she was sending me for breast mri of both said it would take 5 to 7 days before she would get the report and would call i went for mri they told me the same thing wouldnt get report to doc till then so i was shocked when i got the call the next morning for my appointment to have a stereotactic biopsy tommarrow im going in foe x rays is that normal to have lung cheast before this type of biopsy i will do what ever i have to to take care of this i have 3 grandsons im not ready to say good bye to or my son a daughter im a nervous wreck i know its deep and cant be felt dosent show much on mammo but does on us and mri it has been very confusing for over a year now and thank u i am praying to it is benign