It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

Rosie100 HB User
confused over the feel of my breasts...

do cancerous lumps in the breast remain the the same size, shape no matter whether you are lying down or standing up etc? if, for example, you can feel something when you are standing but if you check your breasts lying on your back you cant feel anything, is there still a chance it is cancerous or can you always feel them once they are there? i know that the contraceptive pill and your regular period can create changes in the breast, but i am not sure. thank you.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

Rosie100 HB User
Re: confused over the feel of my breasts...

anybody.....? xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie100
do cancerous lumps in the breast remain the the same size, shape no matter whether you are lying down or standing up etc? if, for example, you can feel something when you are standing but if you check your breasts lying on your back you cant feel anything, is there still a chance it is cancerous or can you always feel them once they are there? i know that the contraceptive pill and your regular period can create changes in the breast, but i am not sure. thank you.
If you have a lump, you will be able to feel it the same way whether you are lying down or standing up to my knowledge anyway. They do not change shape, size no matter what position you are in from my understanding. Hope that helps!

Melly

Old 02-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

Mommy2Baz HB User

I have one that I'm in the process of getting tested (waiting on ultrasound results at the moment). Mine is small and firm, moves slightly from side to side when pushed on and although it can be more difficult for me to find based on the position I'm in, I can still feel it and the size hasn't changed.

For instance, when standing or lying somewhat on my left side, with my right arm above my head, it is easier for me to feel than it is if I'm lying flat on my back. I am guessing this might be because I'm large chested so gravity pulls everything downward when I'm lying flat

It is impossible to tell the difference between a cancerous lump and a benign lump just by feel alone, although there are sometimes certain "characteristics" of cancerous lumps. All the reading I've done says that *most* cancerous lumps are firm, irregularly shaped, fixed in place.

If you have a lump, no matter what you might think the cause, go to your doctor and get it checked out!

Old 02-16-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
(female)

Rosie100 HB User

thank you all for your help. what i could feel has gone completely now so i think it was related to my monthly cycle. ill definately be keeping an eye on it thought! thanks again.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #6
(female)

Mommy2Baz HB User

Rosie, glad it's gone! Lots of women get lumps related to their cycles, so that's probably what yours was. The best way to keep ahead of breast cancer to is be familiar with your own body. I had to point out the lump to my doctor after I found it. She didn't feel it in her breast exam of me.

Mine, unfortunately, wasn't cycle related and wasn't a cyst. I'm currently scheduled for surgery to remove it and have it tested for cancer.

Ah life...isn't it grand?

Closed Thread