It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 158
blossom64 HB User
Unhappy Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

I found a lump in my breast last August and went for a mammogram & ultrasound that they said was normal.......well....the lump is bigger now and I have a hard lump near my skin under left arm. (lump in is in left breast). So in two weeks my surgeon is going in to do a biopsy of both lumps.

I have been feeling really cruddy for quite a few months, although I though most of it was from some meds that were making me sick. I got the flu and it made me really, really ill. I just got over that and my throat is still messed up.

Breast cancer runs in my family, my great-grandmother died of it, and my grandmother had a double mastectomy and went on to live another 30 yrs without chemo or radiation.

I guess I am reaching out because I am so concerned about these lumps. Does anyone know what the odds are of them being benign?

Any advice or help is appreciated. I am into herbs, have been for years, so am going to get some herbs for immune system building and cancer fighting.

Blossom

 
Old 02-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

I'm going through something similar, so I feel your pain. I found a lump in my right breast last Thursday, had an ultrasound Monday and am waiting on the results. I'm 27, but my Mom is an 11 year survivor, so I've already started having mammograms and ultrasounds (had my baseline for both done 4 months ago and everything looked "normal" then apparently).

From what I've learned in my research-driven craze, about 80% of lumps are benign. (((HUGS))) and thoughts for a negative biopsy result.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 158
blossom64 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

I did some reading and saw one website that said 9-46% of breast lumps are malignant, geez what a spread on percentages huh? Do you know where you found that website? I am reaching for straws I guess, I am so concerned over this lump in my armpit, not a good sign if it's malignant, it's probably spread already. Thanks for your hugs, and hugs back to you, and best wishes for your results. This is really scary stuff. I am 41, and am not ready to cash in my chips especially after surviving a horrific car accident 6 yrs ago that killed my late husband. I figured that if God wanted me, he would have taken me then, maybe I am wrong

 
The following user gives a hug of support to blossom64:
abbygold (10-06-2011)
Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

I have a small lump on my right elbow (my breast lump is on the right side too) so of course that's worrying me also, but I figure I can only get through one thing at a time so I'll wait for the results of the ultrasound and then go from there. I've also been dealing with pain in my right arm, shoulder and leg for the past year that I've been told is carpal tunnel - now of course in the middle of the night when I can't sleep because I'm worried about cancer, I wonder if carpal tunnel has been the cause after all.

It's terribly scary, but I just keep telling myself that my Mom survived it (I like to say kicked its' butt!) and she was 42 when she was diagnosed. All I can do is deal with the results, no matter what they might be! I have faith that whatever happens, there is a reason behind it, and I'm focusing on my 4 y/o son and 8 y/o step daughter to get me through this darn waiting!! All any of us can do is stay positive when faced with adversity. To dwell on the negative doesn't help at all (although much easier said than done, I know!).

Last edited by moderator2; 02-09-2006 at 09:26 PM.

 
Old 02-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 158
blossom64 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Thanks for the websites, I will definitely check them out. I understand pain all too well, just had spine fusion surgery last march, and have a badly herniated T7-8, can't work due to my disabilities I was hoping to get hardware out of my back this summer, but may not be able to now with all this lump stuff going on.....

I am trying to rely on my faith in God that whatever is his will for me I accept. It's more the unknown I guess getting to me right now, I wish it wasn't 2 weeks out for the biopsy. Thanks for your support

 
Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Sometimes being able to rely 100% on God's plan for us is soooo difficult.

I'm sorry to hear about your pain problems I hope the lump issue resolves itself quickly and with a good result, so that you can concentrate on healing from your other surgery.

The unknown is definitely the worst. I hope that if my lump turns out to be a solid mass that I get a biopsy sooner rather than later. This week wait since I first found the lump has been dragging.

Hoping for a result from the u/s tomorrow though!

 
Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 158
blossom64 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

don't be disheartened sweetie if it doesn't show anything, mine didn't, and the X-ray doc came in and told me that I had prominent milk duct glands and just to keep an eye on it. I wish I had been more diligent with my self-breast exams. I had been so sick from meds then the flu I didn't do them like I should have, and when I had that ultrasound I really doubted that it was nothing because I could feel the lump and so could the U/S tech. Let me know what your results say. Hugs, Blossom

 
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Albans, Herts, UK
Posts: 142
girlwondering HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Just to let you know, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I can understand first-hand how tough this is--I am 34, my mother died of breast cancer after a 6 year battle (which ended last year) and early 2005 I found a series of lumps on my left breast, just under the armpit. Thankfully, they were lumps resulting from "cyclic changes" in my breasts. Please try to keep your chin up until you are given any definite news, whether positive or negative. Your spirit needs optimism or it is too hard to get through the day-to-day.

Hugs to you both,
Karie

 
Old 02-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom64
don't be disheartened sweetie if it doesn't show anything, mine didn't, and the X-ray doc came in and told me that I had prominent milk duct glands and just to keep an eye on it. I wish I had been more diligent with my self-breast exams. I had been so sick from meds then the flu I didn't do them like I should have, and when I had that ultrasound I really doubted that it was nothing because I could feel the lump and so could the U/S tech. Let me know what your results say. Hugs, Blossom
When my Mom had hers done they told her it didn't look like anything to worry about, that she had dense breasts and it was normal for her, and to come back in six months. Thankfully she got a second opinion because it was cancer and it had already spread to a few of her nodes when they did her lumpectomy.

I will keep you updated! Trust me I plan on making sure they take the lump out, whatever it is, and do testing on it!

(((((HUGS))))) to you too.

 
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwondering
Just to let you know, you are both in my thoughts and prayers. I can understand first-hand how tough this is--I am 34, my mother died of breast cancer after a 6 year battle (which ended last year) and early 2005 I found a series of lumps on my left breast, just under the armpit. Thankfully, they were lumps resulting from "cyclic changes" in my breasts. Please try to keep your chin up until you are given any definite news, whether positive or negative. Your spirit needs optimism or it is too hard to get through the day-to-day.

Hugs to you both,
Karie
Thanks Karie I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom I think going through something myself would be much easier than watching my Mom go through it.
So glad to hear your lumps were from cyclic changes. I am hoping that is what mine is, but it hasn't gone away yet and seems to have gotten bigger over the past week. Ah well, will wait until the doc calls me today and then go from there!

 
Old 02-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 158
blossom64 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

The reason he's not doing the biopsy for two weeks is I live in a small town and he only comes here once a week and won't be here next week. That has me a bit worried. I tried to move the lump because I read if they move they are most likely a cyst. It didn't move. It's on my left breast below the nipple and to the left an inch. I also read that most benign lumps are on the outside of the breast closer to armpit. I believe I feel two lumps, I don't think he noticed the second one.

I know I shouldn't be getting worried yet, but it's kind of hard.

My dad died of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 11 years ago, so the lymph node that's huge in my left armpit is freaky. I have had enlarged lymph nodes many times, but they always went away after a few days, this has been over two weeks.

Trying to maintain, and knowing this two weeks is going to go by so slow.

Monday I am seeing an ENT because I am so hoarse (feels like a cotton ball constricting my throat), and I got over the flu a month ago. They are going to do a flexible largynscopy.

Thanks for all your support, hugs, Blossom

 
Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom64
The reason he's not doing the biopsy for two weeks is I live in a small town and he only comes here once a week and won't be here next week. That has me a bit worried. I tried to move the lump because I read if they move they are most likely a cyst. It didn't move. It's on my left breast below the nipple and to the left an inch. I also read that most benign lumps are on the outside of the breast closer to armpit. I believe I feel two lumps, I don't think he noticed the second one.

I know I shouldn't be getting worried yet, but it's kind of hard.

My dad died of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma 11 years ago, so the lymph node that's huge in my left armpit is freaky. I have had enlarged lymph nodes many times, but they always went away after a few days, this has been over two weeks.

Trying to maintain, and knowing this two weeks is going to go by so slow.

Monday I am seeing an ENT because I am so hoarse (feels like a cotton ball constricting my throat), and I got over the flu a month ago. They are going to do a flexible largynscopy.

Thanks for all your support, hugs, Blossom
Trust me, I know what you're going through with the waiting. I called my doctor's office this morning and the report still hasn't geen received. I wanted to scream at the receptionist "just call and get it! Don't you know what this is doing to me?!"

 
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: california
Posts: 39
shelley2977 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

LADIES, I HAVE JUST READ ALL OF YOUR POSTS AND WANT YOU BOTH TO KNOW I HAVE YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER JULY 2003 . PLEASE MAKE SURE TO GET ULTRA SOUND OR MRI . EVEN AFTER BOTH OF THESE TESTS THEY STILL DID NOT SEE MY TUMOR. YOU MUST BE PRO ACTIVE AND REALIZE THAT YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER WITH DOCTORS. I AM SORRY TO SAY THIS BUT I AND MY FRIENDS HAVE ALL EXPERIENCED THIS. JUST KNOW THAT NOW A DAYS THE CURE RATE IS SO VERY HIGH (NOT THAT I HOPE EITHER ONE OF YOU HAVE CANCER).WAITING FOR RESULTS SUCK AND YOU MUST BE PUSHY BUT NICE. PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET HOW SCARED YOU ARE WHILE WAITING. I WISH YOU BOTH ALL THE BEST, AND MY HOPE IS THAT YOU BOTH HAVE A BENIGN GROWTHS. REGARDS, SHELLEY

 
Old 02-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #14
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 40
Mommy2Baz HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley2977
LADIES, I HAVE JUST READ ALL OF YOUR POSTS AND WANT YOU BOTH TO KNOW I HAVE YOU IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER JULY 2003 . PLEASE MAKE SURE TO GET ULTRA SOUND OR MRI . EVEN AFTER BOTH OF THESE TESTS THEY STILL DID NOT SEE MY TUMOR. YOU MUST BE PRO ACTIVE AND REALIZE THAT YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER WITH DOCTORS. I AM SORRY TO SAY THIS BUT I AND MY FRIENDS HAVE ALL EXPERIENCED THIS. JUST KNOW THAT NOW A DAYS THE CURE RATE IS SO VERY HIGH (NOT THAT I HOPE EITHER ONE OF YOU HAVE CANCER).WAITING FOR RESULTS SUCK AND YOU MUST BE PUSHY BUT NICE. PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET HOW SCARED YOU ARE WHILE WAITING. I WISH YOU BOTH ALL THE BEST, AND MY HOPE IS THAT YOU BOTH HAVE A BENIGN GROWTHS. REGARDS, SHELLEY
Thanks Shelly ((HUG))

My u/s results came back showing a 1 cm mass and I immediately asked my doctor's office to call and make me an appointment with a surgeon - I didn't even wait to see what his recommendation was. I met with the surgeon last Thursday, who immediately said "let's take it out" which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting him to recommend a needle biopsy first, which I didn't want, but he didn't even suggest that.

My excisional biopsy is scheduled for March 6 (13 days and counting) and then I should have the path results within 48 hours. So the wait continues, but at least I feel like I'm being proactive!

It took me calling the radiology department at the hospital myself before I found my results!! I have too many other health problems, all centered on my right side, to make me wait any longer for these results!

 
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: california
Posts: 39
shelley2977 HB User
Re: Lump under arm & in breast, biopsy in two weeks

mommy2baz, you go girl! it is so good to hear that you are being proactive. i hope it is just a small 1cm (that's very small) noncancerous growth. the hard part is just waiting for the surgery. most of the time they are noncancerous growths. you are in my thoughts and prayers, you seem like a tough girl , keep taking care of yourself. shelley

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
AGUS/AGC pap results - questions about ECC & endometrial biopsy angel4747 Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian 38 04-11-2012 11:21 AM
My tests show NOTHING! but lump is there!! nanceetrip Cancer: Breast 5 04-17-2009 06:38 PM
Rash & Lump AshleyMarie416 Cancer: Breast 8 09-30-2008 12:26 PM
My girlfriend is more than likely having surgery on a lump in her breast. MrZeely Women's Health 12 08-05-2007 06:04 PM
Solid lump needtoescape Cancer: Breast 9 11-06-2006 10:23 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Arimidex
Aromasin
Evista Femara
Folic
  Ibuprofen
Motrin
Tamoxifen
Tylenol
Valium




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



uptownJ (35), shellie562 (3), Jaye66 (3), boobootwo (3), janewhite1 (3), nibbsie (3), ImateacherandMynameisLynn (2), willowthewisp (2), Seraph (2), osteopenia1 (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1182), MSJayhawk (1015), Apollo123 (913), Titchou (862), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (763), ladybud (760), midwest1 (671), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!