It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
(female)

Prince31 HB User
Exclamation Please help me...long term pain after biopsy

Hi all,

I had a double biopsy back in the beginning of February. I had a “mass” removed from under the nipple in the left breast. Before hand, I literally woke up on morning in severe pain. My breast was flaming red, puckered, dented, a whole size bigger, the nipple and areola was stiff. My GYN put me on antibiotics for a couple of months. When that didn’t change anything, she sent me for an ultrasound and a mass showed. Because the antibiotics didn’t help matters, she feared “Inflammatory Carcinoma” She sent me to a surgical oncologist. She, by looking at me, didn’t feel that was the case. However, she wanted to do a “slide” but I was in way too much pain to let her squeeze my nipple so she did it on the right and fluid came out. I never had pain in the right breast so I was confused as to why that happened. Anyway, she sent the slide off for results and it came back showing “Papillary cells” and her nurse called with the results and informed me I needed to be scheduled for a “incisional biopsy of both breasts” This was in December. It took until February to have the biopsy only because the head radiologist at the hospital who performed my ultrasound “got on the doctors A**” for putting me off so long. So, I go in for the biopsies. I have the lump removed from the left breast. This left a 5cm deep whole that needed packed by home care nurse for the next 2 weeks. In the process of that, I landed in the ER due to infection and incorrect packing! Also, she biopsied the right breast by taking out half of my milk ducts to look for papillary carcinoma. I am clear on both. Unfortunately, while in the ER for the infection in the left breast (5 days after surgery) they noticed 2 pea sized lumps on the underside of my breast and I almost came off the table when they pushed on them. They are still there and are still just as painful! The surgeon felt it was no big deal but ordered another ultrasound. The head radiologist performed the ultrasound again. By this point we are on a first named basis! She insisted on a breast MRI. This was March. I had to go back to see her AGAIN for another ultrasound that my surgeon ordered and the Radiologist Doctor asked “why haven’t you gone for the MRI I suggested?” “Because the surgeon felt it wasn’t necessary!” Well, keeping with her MO, she got on the phone with her and I was scheduled for the very next week! I had my MRI and nothing showed. However, we are now into July and I am still experiencing pain. This doctor of mine proceeds to tell me it’s “hormonal” and I have a low threshold to pain! I still have 2 lumps in my breast where the milk ducts were removed that are so painful, I can’t lay on my stomach. When I am sleeping, sharp shooting pain wakes me from a sound sleep. I ache all the time. The only relief is warm wet wash clothes and a heat pack. Both breast hurt still. The right nipple is numb to sensation, but I can feel pain. I feel like I am walking around all day with someone “pinching my nipples!” It can get excruciating! I am also a diabetic and figured maybe I was just extra slow in healing. But this doctor of mine made me feel like I am an A**!!! How in the world can my right breast all of the sudden be “tender breast syndrom or hormonal” when I never had pain in it Pre-Surgery! How does laying face down on a hard chiropractor’s table leave me in severe pain for the next 48 hours!! I can’t have any pressure put on my breasts still!!! Has anyone experienced long term PAIN after these types of biopsies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
(female)

dizzyblond HB User
Re: Please help me...long term pain after biopsy

Wow!!! What an ordeal you have been through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though the good news is that you have been checked out in every way possible and everything looks clean, I am amazed at the post-biopsy reaction you have had to endure!!! I have noticed some tenderness at my biopsy site (had it in April) - mostly deep inside), but it is absolutely nothing like yours. Is there a possibility that you can have this continuing pain evaluated by another dr.?

What a nightmare you have had to endure.... and maybe the residual pain you are experiencing now is simply taking time to resolve - those poor breasts have been through A LOT!!!!!!! Does taking OTC pain reliever (part. an anti-inflammatory) help at all?

Best of luck to you as you fight though this - hopefully the worst part is over and you are on your way to healing!!!!

Closed Thread