It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

needtoescape HB User
Solid lump

Hi,
I finally had the ultrasound and the lump is solid - so biopsy is the next step. I know 80% of biopsies are benign. But I can't help but worry - mostly because of other health problems I have. All those vague ones that usually get ignored - abdominal pain, fatigue, nausea. I've been dealing with the abdominal pain and fatigue for over a year. The nausea is newer. And the one that scares me the most. Unexplained weight loss... I am 5'2" and have weighed as much as 282 (I should weigh between 110 and 126). Never have I lost weight without trying very very hard. I am down about 40 pounds and quite a bit was without trying. Even if the breast lump is benign, I am worried about cancer is some part of the digestive system. I see my gastro. doc in about a week. I get regular endoscopy because of a pre-cancerous condition in my esophagus - so I would nothing nothing could have developed there without being caught early. Never would I have believed that losing weight would worry me. If the lump is cancer, I am guessing it started elsewhere since I have the abdominal pain/nausea for quite some time now.

I see my reg. doc tomorrow to get his suggestions on what surgeon to see for the biopsy. I just hope I can get in soon and get it done soon. I found the lump Aug. 2 and it took until last week to get the ultrasound. I am leaning toward asking them to take the whole lump out - rather than the needle biopsy or core biopsy.

Oh, one other good thing: the lump has smooth edges - so that increases the chance it's a benign fibroadenoma.

Anyone have a cancerous tumor that had smooth edges? Also - did anyone have cancer in their breast that began in some other primary site? Anyone have opinions on types of biopsy?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Purple Hugs HB User
Re: Solid lump

I'm so sorry you are going through this.. and know the turmoil of looking at all the possiblilities...

I was given great advice of taking a 3rd party with you, and a notebook in with me, with words and diagnosis in there so that i have a page to flip to given the diagnosis.. then you can have questions ready for each scenario...

this way.. you have the questions ready to hand.. and if your brain screams at you, you just have to pass it to the consultant or perhaps ask the questions if you can. You an write down the answers too. ((Hugs))

Thankfully my smooth lump was benign but i had it removed just in case. I felt a bit silly about this, till a nurse chatted with me and said that if it was her... she'd do the same as she'd seen 'benign' biopsies belong to malignant lumps. I don't want to scare you.. this is just the opinion of a nurse i met.

As for your stomach pain and nausea.. speak to your Dr/consultant, NOW.. just to get it checked.. could be totally unrelated.. but if not they really really need to know NOW.

Wish you good results! I know how hard things are for you at the moment having been there myself.
((hugs))

Old 10-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
(female)

needtoescape HB User

I really really appreciate your reply. I know I will feel silly about being so worried when the biopsy is over with and benign, but I know everyone else is the same way! Just the possibility is enough to make a person crazy.

I see the surgeon tomorrow and hopefully will get the biopsy set up soon. I also want it OUT and plan to specify that I want an excisional biopsy unless that is not feasible for some reason. I think it's small enough and close enough to the surface for that.

I'll post back and let you know the outcome. Hopefully it will be benign.

On the other issues, I see my gastroenterologist next week and I'm going to ask for an endoscopy at the very least to ensure that nothing has developed in the esophagus. And of course, I'll let the various doctors know all of the issues going on so know one is in the dark.

I guess being unemployed right now is a mixed blessing. But I'd like to get it all resolved and be gainfully employed within a few months!

Thanks again. It helps just to know someone read my post and cared enough to take the time to reply. Hugs. N2E

Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

needtoescape HB User

Biopsy is set for Oct. 19th. I should have results by Friday the 20th or Monday the 23rd. I'll post results.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
(female)

needtoescape HB User

My lump was a benign fibroadenoma. If I had it to do over, I might trust the fine needle biopsy rather than going with the excisional one - but it's over. Thanks for the advice and understanding.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User
Question Re: Solid lump

Hi, I am going through just about the same thing, I had a mammogram last Friday, and Tuesday the doctor's office called and wanted me to go back for a spot check and ultrasound, I had that done yesterday, and they found a solid lump. I am waiting for them to get me in to see a surgeon, I am thinking about having the entire lump removed instead of just a needle biopsy. I just don't think I would trust the needle biopsy. I have had lesions found in my colon, and in my chest, but they don't want to do a biopsy on them yet.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
(female)

needtoescape HB User

Good luck Valley. I hope your lump is benign. My incision is healing well. One thing they didn't warn me about is the hardness and I was a bit concerned until I called the surgeon's office and they said it is "normal". I don't know how long it lasts, but it will make it difficult to detect any future problems if it stays this way. I now have a fairly large hard area where the surgery was done to remove the lump. My reg. doc. said it's probably from a hematoma that will eventually absorb into the tissue.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
(female)

Valley HB User

Thanks for the advise. I had my needle biopsy done Friday, so I should know something by Wednesday. I was scared out of my mind, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

anna317 HB User

"Needtoescape":

I have an excisional biopsy tommorow. Needless to say I am very nervious! Can you fill me in a little on what to expect during the procedure and after?! My doctor could not do the needle one because my lump is moving a lot. I found it two months ago, my doctor strongly believes it is benign, but wants to remove it just to be safe. It did not show on mammo or ultrasound, only MRI showed some abnormality in the area, but it did not seem to concern my doctor much (and he is a very good one, very causious).
So I really need some encouragement for tommorow!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
(female)

cody48 HB User

To all of you who are undergoing uncertainties, my prayers are with you. Please keep us up-to-date.

Closed Thread