It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

stiff person HB User
Unhappy Ignored Lump

Hi
I felt a lump in my breast about a year ago...I was 34, and didnt think much of it...I didnt even really consider it a "lump" so to speak. I have very large breast and they are lumpy every day...this was a small pea size something or another, It was hard, noticable but it was small and not painful at all...so it was easy to ignore. Later on I couldnt find it??? Would a real lump go away or always be there? I went to my next GYNO exam, let the doctor do his regular breast exam and he felt nothing so I let it go at that.

With October being Awareness month...I saw adds and shows left and right that prompted me to get serious about what I felt all that time ago...I had my next Gyno exam (this would be about a year later) I told the doctor that I thought I felt something one time, but later it was gone...he again did his exam, felt nothing, and told me to have a mamo just to be safe??? (because I am getting Older) I am going to have my first Mamogram, in two weeks (I have rescheduled it Twice) and now I am so scared that this may be breast cancer. I feel that I may have actually ignored something important.

How long is too long to have a lump go from, curable, to incurable? Is a lump always a lump? does it grow? do they dissapear? How fast does it spead or grow? I hope I am worried over nothing...

Last edited by stiff person; 11-01-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Lightbulb Re: Ignored Lump

Lumps don't always mean cancer, it could just be a normal change. But go ahead and have the mammogram, if it is anything to be concerned about the earlier you get treatment, the better. I have had mammograms since I was 40, and last week was the first time that they found anything, a small solid lump, which I will be having a biopsy for soon. I just had my GYN exam a week before and the doctor didn't feel anything, so do go ahead and get your mammogram. Best of luck to you I am now 58 years old.

Last edited by Valley; 11-02-2006 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Ignored Lump

it may be a cyst.....cysts come and go depending on your cycle.
an ultrasound should be able to determine if it is a cyst
cysts are basically harmless.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Ignored Lump

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff person
Hi
I felt a lump in my breast about a year ago...I was 34, and didnt think much of it...I didnt even really consider it a "lump" so to speak. I have very large breast and they are lumpy every day...this was a small pea size something or another, It was hard, noticable but it was small and not painful at all...so it was easy to ignore. Later on I couldnt find it??? Would a real lump go away or always be there? I went to my next GYNO exam, let the doctor do his regular breast exam and he felt nothing so I let it go at that.

With October being Awareness month...I saw adds and shows left and right that prompted me to get serious about what I felt all that time ago...I had my next Gyno exam (this would be about a year later) I told the doctor that I thought I felt something one time, but later it was gone...he again did his exam, felt nothing, and told me to have a mamo just to be safe??? (because I am getting Older) I am going to have my first Mamogram, in two weeks (I have rescheduled it Twice) and now I am so scared that this may be breast cancer. I feel that I may have actually ignored something important.

How long is too long to have a lump go from, curable, to incurable? Is a lump always a lump? does it grow? do they dissapear? How fast does it spead or grow? I hope I am worried over nothing...
Go get the mammogram. Also don't do any second guessing about whether or not it ever was "anything". The body has enormous self healing powers even if the "something" was there before. If you keep yourself otherwise healthy, AND get checked out, you have nothing to feel bad about and will be able to face anything that does come.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
(female)

stiff person HB User
Smile Re: Ignored Lump

Well, I had my Mamogram a few weeks ago...I have heard nothing from the Lab so I guess all is well...I guess I can now put aside this obsession thinking that I have BC and accept that I "must" be healthy as far as that goes.

(Thank God) and I am truly thankful....thanks for the kind words and advice. The thing that gets me is I felt a very definate, pea sized hard mass, how normal is that? If I can be sure that its nothing, I could easily let it go...they dont usually miss anything do they?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User
Lightbulb Re: Ignored Lump

You can go where you had your mammogram done and request a copy of the report. Your doctor should have called you by now.

Closed Thread