It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

tarthur1966 HB User
Unhappy Pain under armpit-Need relief after Mastectomy!!

On Nov 11 I had a mammogram, two weeks later I had a mastectomy. I start chemo in Jan. To say the least it has been a wirl wind?!?! I am 40 years old and the Mother of 4, grandmother of 1. I have always done well with pain (no medication during any child birth), but after the mastectomy I have had pain that runs up my arm into my arm pit, this is non stop. The doc says it is normal due to nerves around lymph nodes that were removed. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this numbness, pain to let up. I have been on 3 different pain pills. Nothing seems to help. Also, does any one have any idea how long this last????

Please help!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: Pain under armpit-Need relief after Mastectomy!!

It may take several months before your pain level gets better, your body is healing nerves are regrowing and the internal swelling presses on muscle and nerves. If lymph nodes were removed then the circulation to the area is sluggish and disrupted.
Has your doctor had you try using a duragesic patch? It may help alot, along with an oral pain med for breakthrough pain. The patch stays on continuously and is changed every 3 days, it delivers medication through your skin.
You have to get your pain under control as pain will delay the healing process.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

pinkwarrior HB User
Re: Pain under armpit-Need relief after Mastectomy!!

I sympathize with you because I have the same problem although not as acute. It comes and goes so randomly. I find that exercise helps. I try to keep moving my arm around and following the exercises they recommended. It doesn't make it go away but assures me that I'm doing what I can to keep it flexible. Good luck to you. I am nearing the end of my chemotherapy and ready to celebrate that. Stay focused on the body's ability to heal and you'll get there!

Closed Thread