It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

Post-It HB User
Advice on monthly exams?

Hello! I am 24 and recently getting serious about my health. Unfortunately I was "blessed" with very large breasts and I have trouble figuring out what is normal and what isn't when I do my monthly self exams.

When I asked my gyno about exams, she said, "if it feels like oatmeal, it's fine, if it feels like it shouldn't be there, get it checked out." OK, except neither of my breasts feel like oatmeal? Both of them feel like sacks of very tiny marbles, all the way around. I assume that because both of them feel the same way, that's just the "texture" of my breast tissue. I guess I'm just wondering what "normal" is supposed to feel like?

Second question, I have very itchy skin on both of my breasts. I live in a dry climate and during the winter it is particularly bad. I just chalked this up to dry skin until I read about paget's disease. Don't have any of the other symptoms except just itchy breasts/nipples. Should I be concerned?

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

Nicola21 HB User
Re: Advice on monthly exams?

Hiya,

I was just going logging on her to post a similar thread to yourself.

I to am "blessed" with large breasts, and i was checking my breasts (at a bit of a stupid time tho, im on my period lol) and they feel like marble sack (i was trying to think of a way to describe it, and u hit the nail on the head).

Do we just have to look for an abnormal lump that isnt like all the rest? and will it show on your skin?

Also is there a specific time of the month that people should actually be checking?

nic x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User
Re: Advice on monthly exams?

Each woman's breasts have their own special shape and 'lumpiness.' A doctor will suggest that you become familiar with the normal make-up of your own breasts, the feeling under your fingers of natural lumps, along with the sensations you experience.

Office exams are very important, because a doctor is familiar with what feels normal and what doesn't. The larger your breasts, the more you have to feel. If you have a question about a lump or group of lumps, your doctor will recognize the nature of these. Ask questions during your office exam.

I am not so 'blessed,' but I detected a lump that was obviously not something I had felt before. Getting a follow-up office exam to check out the lump turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.

If you're familiar with the feeling of the normal, healthy state of your breasts, you are more likely to recognize a lump that shouldn't be there. If you ever are in doubt, let a doctor check you out.

Best wishes,

Nikki

Closed Thread