It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

saint90ms HB User
Mammogram needs retaking, please help!

Hi everyone... I am 38 and had a hysterectomy 4 1/2 years ago. Ive been on 1 mg. of estradiol ever since. Today I had my third routine yearly mammogram.

I received a call back just a while ago saying that I need to go back tomorrow for a retake of my RIGHT breast. She said that the breast tissue is very dense and appears very white on the image. However, tumors also appear the same color and the radiologist felt it needs to be relooked at. I am very worried because my last two mammograms were fine. The previous report says that the "breast parenchyma is heterogeneously dense". Not sure if that was for both sides or one. It didn't say. Also, there were several scattered benign appearing calcifications in the left breast a year ago. Anyone else had something similar happen. I am very worried because I was on high doses of hormones back in the last 90's trying to get pregnant through fertility treatments (about 8 years worth).

I appreciate your input and helping me understand some of this.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User
Re: Mammogram needs retaking, please help!

If they are calling you back to repeat the films on the right side they just did it is because the films were not good. Maybe this doctor likes darker films, maybe they were having trouble with their mammo unit, maybe there is motion. The facility must not have digital mammo or they could darken the film somewhat.This has nothing to do with your breast. If you were in for a screening mammogram (meaning you were not aware of any problem) then I would not worry. <breast parenchyma is heterogeneously dense> only means your breast tissue is dense. That does not mean anything bad. Benign scattered calcifications means just that, benign calcifications.
If the facility is calling you back for a work up
1). They would not be just repeating a film they just did.
2). The usual procedure if the Radiologist saw something is to have your doctor reschedule you for a diagnostic work up.
I would not stress at this point.
Newfie11

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

saint90ms HB User

Thanks for the reply. The mammogram was done with a digital machine, not with films. Does that make a difference? I'm still not going to worry.....ok, yes, I am a little worried!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

This is very common. I had to go back after my second routine one about two and a half years ago and I was terrified. The first thing they told me was that it happens about half the time. Let us know what happens and try not to worry too much.

Nancy

Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

<The mammogram was done with a digital machine>

Yes it does as they can see the picures as soon as they are taken. They can also make the the image darker or lighter and magnify it without having to redo the it. UNLESS this is a new machine and they are not use to using it. Digital is preferred for dense breast as it gives a better image. I am at a loss here.
Newfie11

Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

westllen HB User

I feel the radiologist wants a re-take for a clearer image. I wouldn't worry either at this point. I know, easier said than done.

I had a full hysterectomy in 1996, have been on Estratest HS daily ever since, and then premarin cream 3x a week for the past 2 yrs. I understand your concerns. I've discussed this in depth with my dr. We've decided to keep the hormorne therapy going at this point.

Good luck

Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lulubells HB UserLulubells HB User

I have had to do back every other year for retakes or a untrasound. I do not push the panic button when they call.... I expect that call..

Closed Thread