It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User
Mammo done on breasts with implants?

Hi everyone,
I had a saline breast implant put in about 2yrs ago after having breast cancer. Do people with implants still have that breast mammoed? My onc says no, but after reading a few posts on various boards here, many women have still have them done..anyone have any advice?

Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
(female)

lillydale8 HB User
Re: Mammo done on breasts with implants?

If you had a mastectomy and have an implant reconstruction, then you don't need a mammogram on that side. If your implant is for augmentation to increase breast size, then yes. A good mammography center knows how to take pictures of the breast around the implant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

There are two schools of thought on this. At one time mammos were never done for implant reconstruction after a mastectomy. Then they started discovering some times cancer cells were still located in the skin covering the mastectomy. At that time mammograms were recommended. Surgeons differ on how much breast tissue they take off even on a mastectomy.Some surgeons will leave small amounts of breast tissue when doing a mastectomy. This does need to be imaged.The problem arises in the fact you cannot do a pushback (implant displacement view) to see much. There is nothing to pull forward once the implant is pushed back. Some areas of the skin can be seen, especially on digital but there are many areas that cannot be seen due to the implant. Saline blocks just as much as silicone.
If your doctor is comfortable saying that you do not need mammograms on that side and you feel comfortable with it by all means follow his advice. If you still have questions get a second opinion.
Newfie11

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

thank you so much ladies for your replies. Having an implant and no extra tissue, I would think it would be almost useless to even try.It is interesting that it is available.I will speak to my Oncologist again. Unfortunately my surgeon is no longer in practice otherwise I would go back and speak with him. I have found that I get alot of good advice from other women, who have been through the processes instead of dr.s. I have had some bad experiences with doctors and hospitals and I dont have alot trust anymore.
thankx

Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you looked into ultrasound as well? It would seem to make sense for you. They often do these in addition to the standard mammo when they find something suspicious. So, I don;t see why they couldn't do it on you. And I would want that extra ounce of prevention, so to speak.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
(female)

pk428 HB User

I just finished my last chemo and had my follow up visit. I had a double mast. and both my oncologist and breast surgeon said I did not need any more mamograms. They said there is less than a 1% chance of reoccurrence in either breast, and if something did come back that I would feel it right away. Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Pk!
So sorry that you had to go through all that, but I am happy to hear that you have finished your chemo!! Horray!!!
That is just what mine have said, however because I have had some bad experiences with both Doctors and hospitals I have become very skeptical.
Are you going to have any further treatments? Will you be taking some medications? I have been on tamoxifen and aromasin..and am now trying arimidex so far it's 4yrs and no sign of any recurrence!
Best wishes to you
your sister survivor!

Closed Thread