It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

Thrad5446 HB User
Biopsy: What to Expect?

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could let me know what to expect during a biopsy. I've had a lot of procedures done in my life, but this one is extremely new to me.

When I spoke to the nurse who called, it sounds as if they are going to do a Incisional biopsy and take a small part of the lump. They are also going to do an ultrasound at the same time as the biopsy.

She told me she was pretty sure I would be under a local anesthesia during the process.

For those of you who have experienced this can you tell me what to expect? And what to expect afterwards?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
(female)

mom2twinboys HB User
Re: Biopsy: What to Expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thradia View Post
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could let me know what to expect during a biopsy. I've had a lot of procedures done in my life, but this one is extremely new to me.

When I spoke to the nurse who called, it sounds as if they are going to do a Incisional biopsy and take a small part of the lump. They are also going to do an ultrasound at the same time as the biopsy.

She told me she was pretty sure I would be under a local anesthesia during the process.

For those of you who have experienced this can you tell me what to expect? And what to expect afterwards?
Ok, I cant speak for myself since I have not gone through this (yet!) but I did go with my daughter last year for what sounds similar to what you are saying(?). I think they told her it was a core biopsy (meaning: they would take a small part and send to lab). I can tell you from my just having gone with her what took place.

We waited in the waiting room, then was taken into another room with an older very nice lady tech who asked my daughter questions and filled out a form. We then went into the back where she changed into a gown for the top and left her jeans on...kept her clothes in the little locker in the room she changed in. She was then called in to the room where the lights were dimmed down a bit while I sat literally outside that door. I looked at my watch and I kid you not it was exactly 11 minutes and she was out and getting her shirt back on!

From what she told me they laid her on the table, yes there was a sonogram or something that they went by as they did the procedure....they did numb her and she said that was a slight sting/burning feel then one more time they moved it in a bit further and she felt another sting/burn and then hold breath and clip and done. Two small stitches that absorbed on their own and call back or wait for results. She was perfectly fine and I forget now what they called it. I remember when I went in with her to get her shirt back on she was shaking tremendously but it was NOTHING she said honestly and loved the doctor who did it...she was great! Only reason she was shaking so bad is because being a woman and having something done at that area was just overwhelming and I believe I may be doing the same thing But I must remember HOW FAST it was and how great they were. You will be ok....I wish you luck...and if you are nervous just be sure to let them know that...good luck with it and keep us posted Hugs*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
(female)

Thrad5446 HB User

Thanks for the reply! That's amazing that it was so quick! Hopefully mine is the same way.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
(female)

Linda49er HB User

Hi Thradia

If it is a "core biopsy" I had that with my first visit with the surgeon. The surgeon uses the ultrasound machine to see the lump in question on his screen to help guide him. Another name could be a "punch biopsy" as that is how the machine that he actually uses to get the sample acts like.

I'm not sure if having big breasts or small breasts makes a difference but mine hurt. They normally take 3 samples I think. My first two samples hurt and the last one I didn't feel a thing so I think the anesthesia worked better in that site. I don't want to scare you but don't really want you going in thinking there is absolutely no pain. You could also talk to the doc's nurse that assists him how it is done. You could tell them too you are nervous about having it and maybe they would advise you if you could take something before the test. It never hurts to ask I have heard others say too it didn't hurt so its kind of individualized as to one's pain tolerance too. I actually have high pain tolerance. Plus, I didn't know what to expect and that makes a difference too.

Take care and best wishes!!!
Linda

Old 04-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
(female)

ebcc1990 HB User

I had a core biopsy yesterday. Mine was fast and pretty painless (small poke to numb the area). My situation is probably similar to others who've posted here...Routine mammo, called back for more slides and an ultrasound...found an area in the left breast that appears to be a fibroadenoma but they cannot say for sure without the biopsy. So, I've done everything they asked me to and now I sit here worrying and thinking of every worst case scenerio there could be! I should have results tomorrow but the stress is terrible! Anyone have a similar situation? I am 42 and feeling very old right now!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

EBCC, So sorry that youve had to go through all this! Waiting..its a horrible, emotional time.. Just wanted to say Hi, and I do hope that all turns out well for you, and that you get the word..benign!! Whatever the case..there are people on these boards that can help you along the way..if treatment is necessary.. I went through this at 43..and youre right it makes you feel much older..
Heres praying for the best possible outcome for you!
hugs,
cj.

Closed Thread