It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

JOJO39 HB User
Angry Tissue expanders, need advice

Hello,

I had a bilateral mast. and getting ready for chemo, then radiation. I did not have the expanders put in during surgery. I was told that I would have my tissue expanders put in after radiation. To get my self through treatment first without having the risk of infection because of my white cell count going down.

Then I was told they should be put in before radiation because of the risk of the skin sticking together and not going in. So then I suggested having them put in after chemo but before radiation and they said no because I would have to wait to long before getting radiation, I know all these doctors are now on the same page and suggest me waiting until have radiation, Obviously these treatements are most important. but has anyone had tissue expanders put in after chemo and radiation and had no problems?????? Someone please answer me as now I am so stressed about this.

Thanks,
JoJo

Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
(female)

Linda49er HB User
Re: Tissue expanders, need advice

Hi there JOJO,

I'm no help but I would think that the Radiation doc would be the best to know which way to go. I had a nickle size opened area in my incision and he would even do radiation until that was healed. He said if he didn't wait the radiation could actually unzip my incision. How many radiation treatments do you need to have? I had 31. I went every day for 6 weeks.

I wish I could be more help. Hopefully you will some better answers from your radiation doc. My oncologist would tell me "let the radiation doc decide that. Then my primary doc would say, let your onc doc handle that. So, thats what i did.

Good luck
Hugsss,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the info. The radiation doctor and plastic hand doctor are talking. I just wanted to be able to get the tissue expanders in without trouble from the radiation. I am going to have 6 weeks of radiation. Normally they are place in after the mast. but in my case they were not. Oh well, chemo is the most important which I am starting in two weeks.
Take care have a great night.

JoJo

Old 04-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi JOJO, just curious, does your Plastic surgeon specialize in hand surgery?Have you asked to see any pictures of his breast work, or perhaps get the phone number of a patient that he did? What type of implant have you decided on?
cj

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi CJ,
How are you doing? It is called Plastic and Hand Surgical Associates but he actually specializes in reconstruction. Luckily I have a cousin that is a P.A. at that office so I have been getting a lot of info from her. Because my expanders were not placed in after mast. (That is because they scheduled my surgery so quick I had not had a chance to consult with reconstruction doctor.) They want me to go through chemo then radiation before thinking of reconstruction. Which I agree is most important. When I met with the radiation doctor she was just afraid if I had radiation before my expanders were put in they may not fit, because of shrinking the skin and skin sticking together. My surgeon actually left me some pockets on my breast and the reconstruction doctor doesnt seem to think it is a problem doing the surgery after radiation. I was a bit freaked out last week when I was getting all this info thrown at me. I guess I should have had the expanders put in during surgery but that was not the case so now I have to go to step B. I decided on just the expanders and implants. Do you mind me asking if you have had reconstruction? Not interested in the tram flap. But chemo is first. I go to a class on Thursday to learn about chemo than I imagine will start the following week. Still having problems with my arm, there is a cord under my armpit that is not streching. I am going to another physical therapist appt on Tuesday. I hope all is well with you. Not a great weekend weather wise. I am going to try to go into work tomorrow for a little while and see how I do. It might be good to get out of the house. Hope you are feeling good, Have a wonderful week.
JoJo

Old 04-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi JOJO, That sounds like the perfect place to go for your recon..I had mast,chemo but no rads. I didnt want the tram surgery either..just too many things that could go wrong..and I have been on the bad end of that way too many times, so I opted for a saline implant..I did this about 2yrs after my mast. my port collapsed the vein and I had a terrible time then so I had to keep putting it off..In my opinion, I also wanted to give my body, my breast time to heal from the surgery and chemo before going in and putting in something artifical..I can tell you JOJO that its the best thing that I did for myself..its not without pain..but with some meds its bearable and in my opinion definitely worth it! I wouldnt think twice about doing it again if I had to..If you ever need any more info or just someone to talk to about that, I am here for you! Also the fact that you had bilateral..youll get an awesome match..and probably never have to wear a bra again!! Oh, I did nipple recon, and tattoo also.
I had the cord problem also, they didnt even recommed PT for that, but with exercise it has gotten better..still have some tightening down that arm though.
I know its all so much to take in! and after having such a diagnosis too, its not easy..but you sound good..asking questions, getting info..thats a great place to start! I hate to hear of anyone having to go through this..so really JOJO, my heart goes out to you..
keep in touch okay?
cj

Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
(female)

nana x 4 HB User

JoJo, I had the expander put in before chemo and rad. They ended up taking it out because it opened backwards toward my lung.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi Nana,

Thanks for the info, I am waiting until after chemo. Not sure if before radiation or after. Did you ever have them put back in?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
(female)

nana x 4 HB User

No I never had it replaced. I'm a nana. I was 56 and felt no need to go through that. I do know a lot of people who have had them and love them. At my age..who cared. I added you to my prayer book. I belong to an orgazation where if people need prayer I hold the book and add persons as asked and everyday we all pray for everyone in the bok. So know that people around the us are praying for you. God bless you

Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi Nana,

Thanks so much, that is nice to hear about the prayers. What a great thing. Know that I am praying also for everyone here.
Take Care,
Thanks,
JoJo

Closed Thread