It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

hopefulrose HB User
Question wish I had more info

Diagnosed with breast cancer 4/25 had lumpectomy 5/2. I had no idea what to expect, especially the tests involved prior to surgery and I am a nurse. We make the worst patients. I think the second you are told you have cancer someone should hook you up with someone who's been there and can explain everything to you. It's a week later and I'm still reeling. My daughter had her first mammogram yesterday and she is 37 but my mom died from breast cancer also so she is starting her yearly checks now.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User
Re: wish I had more info

Oh hopefulrose I so agree with you..I was dx 4yrs ago, and I can remember feeling the same exact way..so much info, so much to absorb at a time when you mind would rather shut down. Has the dr. told you anything about your cancer? That would be the first place to start..because whatever treatment you will have, will depend on what type of cancer and what stage the cancer was. So very sorry about your dx., and the pain this is causing you. My grandmother also had breast cancer,she lived to 92yrs old and did not die from breast cancer.. but so far I am the only one in my family to have been dx with it..and I hope it stays that way..It is good that your daughter is being checked, and having a mammo. Do you have family or friends that you can lean on for support?
Rose, please come back here anytime you need..hopefully someone here can shed some light on things you may need help understanding, or maybe you just need to vent..either way there are ladies here that are kind and compassionate, who have been where you are...and are here for you!
I will be saying a prayer for you,
I'm here if you need,
hugs,
cj.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

hopefulrose HB User

Thanks for the kind words. I have family and friends that got me through the last week but none of them have experienced what I have gone through and they don't understand the words or their meaning. I think am lucky with my cancer, the cure rate being 90%, regardless of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy. I have not yet seen an oncologist or radiologist. I know I will need radiation but am not sure about chemo. The incision line where they took the lymph nodes is killing me. It is sore, swollen, and very hard but not red and I don't have a fever. I did adopt a dog from the SPCA when I got my diagnosis and that was the best thing I could have done. She is a sweetheart.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

Linda49er HB User

Hi there Rose,

Welcome to the board but I am sorry you are here for those reasons. I am a Cancer survivor of almost one year (May 30th).

I understand your position right now 100%. I was in the same exact position last May 30th. I think alot of ppl think nurses know everything and don't need support but when it comes nurses being diagnosed with something like BC its a whole different ballgame. I was just as scared and shocked as any other person. Same when I was pregnant....i'm a woman then, not a professional lol.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My sister had bilat. BC at the age of 37 and she is alive and well today. She had a Stage 1, no chemo but did have radiation. 23 yrs ago rad wasn't as good as it is today. My sister got burned from her neck down to her ribcage. I got a small burn on my neck during my last week of regular doses. With my lotion tho it healed fast and great.
I also had 2 aunts at the age of 60 who got bc also, they are alive and well at the age of 65 now. Then I have two nieces and multiple other family members with a history of cancer so it sure runs in my family.

Oh Cj, psst, forgot to tell you I had blood drawn for the genetic screening but when I called the lab and had them check to see why it wasn't back they found out that it was on hold because they wanted $3000 up front! Like I have that? lol. So doc is dealing with it with the insurance cuz we weren't sure it needed pre-auth. Daughter had her 3 mon. ultrasound today so waiting to hear on hers and my mammo still.

Rose, its a good idea to get a journal and calendar for everything you go through. It will really come in handly. I started my journal but when chemo started I forgot to write in it. Now I can't find it so have to look for it. It gives you something to look back at.

I started to read the books on BC that my surgeon gave me and I finally put them up because it confused me and scared me cause I didn't understand it. So don't try to read too much too fast.

Do let us know how you are doing and whats going on. Like Cj said, we are here for you

Prayers for you.
Take care!

Huggs,
Linda

Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
(female)

Linda49er HB User

Hey Rose!!

Hey there girl how are ya???? Haven't heard from you in a bit and wondered how you were making out? What is your surgeon saying? Have you seen an Onc yet?

Hope all is well!!! Let us know how you are doing

Hugs,
Linda

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

marleon 51 HB User

hey rose just thought i would send you quick message i to have breast cancer had lumpectomy in Nov 2006 started chemotherapy Jan have just finished course now about to start radiotherapy 20 sessions I am so lucky i have been quite well throughout and i believe the mind is a powerful tool and if you are positive it sure gets you through I lost my hair early on that was a bit devastating but there are things you can do to help with hair loss the ice cap is one My diagnosis was breast cancer stage 2 they removed 5 nodes 1 was positive im hormone neg and her neg Im a real positive person and my husband away abroad working so have to soldier on After the initial shock which numbs you and you cannot take anything in because you think they have given you a sentence its all the waiting for results that got me but once i got told all i was more relaxed. I have it im going to fight it ,so lets get on with it. and i have god bless i send you a big hug and please if you want any info no matter how trivial you think please e mail me ( I think you can get my e mail address ) i am here for you

Closed Thread