It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #46
(female)

phyl41 HB User
Re: Roll Call

:hi cjammom. Silly beggers means my computer is doing weird things ie playing up. By the way you would make a good cheerleader lol. Was having a good day until i received a knock back for my life insurance. Just pure ignorance on the companies part. Mention cancer and they think the worst. My oncologist is going to deal with them for me Hope you have a good weekend and don't get too tanned with your sunshine.We have wet and windy weather in Scotlandjust now
lots of hugs phyl

Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #47
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi phyllis55 ,good for you on quitting the evil ciggies. I am really going to try and kick the habit this weekend. I will probably end up going crazy but i will give it a good go. Sorry to hear about you having another op. Just remember to think positive.These doctors are wonderful people and there is new treatments every day.I'm sure you will be fine.
have a good restful weekend love phyl41

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #48
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi everyone. Hope that you all had a good and restful weekend. It's fathers day here in sunny scotland so i was celebrating with my dad.I have the doctors this thursday to sign me back to work. Can't believe i have been off for 9 months since my diagnosis. The time has flown by but it did not feel like it when i was going through the chemo and radiotherapy
How long was everyone else off work ? Let me know how you all are doing. I enjoy talking to you all
lots of love phyl41

Old 06-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #49
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Hi Phyl41,
I got my diagnosis in March, had a bilateral mast in April and started chemo in May, so far have had 3 treatments and this 3rd one really kicked my butt. I am still working, just wondering did you take a leave of absence from work. I am thinking about seeing if I can work every other week, because I think this is going to get harder for me. Glad to hear you are doing well. This is an awesome site isn't it. Take Care,
JoJo

Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #50
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi jojo my work were great . Because of the nature of my illness, they have kept me on full pay the whole time i've been off.I work with the deaf, blind and challenging behaviour so i have to be fit and well.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #51
(female)

JOJO39 HB User

Wow that is so great of them. Well I am just going to take one day at a time. Thanks have a wonderful week.
JoJo

Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #52
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi everyone!! How was your weekend!! mine was awesome, spent it with my family celebrating fathers day!! cant ask for anything more!!
JOJO..you hang in there!! try to rest when you can..you sound like you have the best of friends...and they really are taking care of you!! Try to eat as much healthy food as you can..it will help you to stay strong..and remember lots of water too!!

talk to you all soon,
cj.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #53
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi cj hope that you are well. Spent sunday with my dad too.Apart from that it was a quiet weekend just the way i like it. Busy this week getting my oldest ready for his school trip. He's going to Barcelona He's a lucky boy.At this moment in time i wish it was me. well keep in touch lots of love phyl

Old 06-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #54
(female)

Phyllis55 HB User

We had a nice weekend, kids and grandkids stopped by to see us. Even got a visit from some relatives I rarely see. Had my second surgery last Wed to remove the rest of the lymph nodes under my after they found cancer in one of the sentinal nodes. There were two more cancer ones in the last batch they took out. Guess I will find out Thursday what the next plan of action is. I am concerned that this beast is hiding and lurking elsewhere in my now. I havn't been leaving the house much I just don't seam to have any energy, and don't like going about with two drain tubes hanging on me. I will be thrilled to get rid of those, can't be soon enough.
Hope you have a super time in China Phyl, I love visiting different countries and cultures. Hopefully if all goes well, this time next year, my mom and daughter and I will be enjoy the lush greens and cool air of Scotland. That is our goal anyway, and my get well treat. My husband and I hope to visit France one day as that is where his people came from. I bought a computer program to teach me some French, hehe we will see...
I have a consultation with a second oncologist next Fri, then will decide which of the two I have talked to that I will go with. I am not looking forward to dealing with the chemo, but just want to do it and get it over with.
The chemo has me really scared, more so than the surgery did. I have recovered from surgery before. But I watched my dad who at the time was five years younger than I am now, deterioate so quickly after starting chemo. He lived only five months after being Ex. I understand he had a differnt kind of cancer and was a lot farther along, and there are much better treatments thirty five years later, but it is hard to get that vision out of my head. Anyway, I am determined not to let this beast get the best of me, I have things to do and people to see.
Funny story, my husband went with me yesterday to look at some wigs I have picked out to use when the hair starts going. Well my husband has the bald on top, just hair on sides and back look. It has never bothered either of us, it is just how he looks. Well when we entered the store, there was only one person working, who was a male. The man instantly walked up to us and asked my husband if he was looking for a hair piece. My husband shocked told the man, " I don't need no stinking hair piece, I am happy with who I am"
That man had the strangest look on his face, and didn't speak for a few seconds. Kinda did one those visuals gulps. Then cautiously looked at me and asked are you going to be doing chemo or just want a wig for fun. This place also has the breast forms but I opted not to discuss that with the man. heheh.
How have you all handled the missing breast space when dressing to go out? The drain tube wounds are right on the bra band line right now for me so anything is painful at the moment but I was wondering about later. Being In Texas it gets really really hot here so have to keep that in consideration too.
Sorry for the long post, always seams like once I start talking I never know when to shut up.
Hope everything is going well for everyone today.
Phyllis

Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #55
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi phyllis you keep those spirits up and you will be in Scotland in no time.There is a lot of treatment now for breast cancer and its true you keep thinking back to watching how others suffered. Chemo is rough for some people more than others. It depends on the type you get. many different ones. Ican't help with your point about losing your breast,i had a lumpectomy. The wigs are great nowadays also.My partner wants mine when im finished with it . Bed time for me now in scotland.Keep in touch phyl41

Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #56
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Phyllis, I understand your feelings of anxiety, that maybe the cancer is lurking..I think our minds all go there sometimes, its been 4 years since my diagnosis and with every pain I have, I still wonder if it could be a return of the beast!! All we can do is take care of our bodies, keep up with doc appointments, and HOPE and PRAY for the best.
The drains are really the worst!! I hated them, and couldnt wait till the were out.I too had a mast. and used a prosthesis for about a year+. For me, they were very heavy and uncomfortable..I opted to have another surgery, and put in saline implants..Its been about 2yrs since I have had them done, and I am very happy that I did! Its a little painful of a procedure and at least two surgeries, but it made me feel whole again!! Your surgeon will have you wait until your all healed probably around 6weeks before you go get fitted for a prosthesis..or maybe you will consider reconstruction..there is alot of info on the internet, with questions too that you might want to ask your plastic surgeon.
I am so sorry about your dad..and that you had to see him suffer so. But things have changed...there are many more medications which are used to help ease the side effects from chemo..no, its not always without problems, but it is doable..I had some leg pain and mouth sores and was very tired, but with the help of my family, I made it through the rough spots!! and You CAN too!!
and Phyllis..you can come here and talk as much as you want!!
hugs to you,
cj.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #57
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi everyone. Hope that you are all well.Thats me officially starting back work on 2nd july. Can't wait to get some normality back into my life.
hope you all have a super , safe and well weekend.Keep in touch phyl41

Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #58
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hi phyllis. Haven't seen you posting for a while. Just checking that you are okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope that you had a good weekend. We have had very heavy rain all weekend. Very depressing My oldest boy flew out to Barcelona this morning with his class mates so he is lucky having a week of glorious sunshine. I have my 3rd dose of herceptin tomorrow so it will be an early night for me . Let me know how you are doing
lots of love phyl41

Old 07-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #59
(female)

Phyllis55 HB User

I hope everyone was able to have an enjoyable holiday this past week. We had a very lowkeyed day, but had the family around my mom and my two kids and the seven grandkids. Actually had a few hours that it did not rain.
It has rained here almost daily for three or four weeks now. Fortunatly we are not in the flood zone areas but it has been pretty bad in some areas.

I had my first round of A/C on Friday. Started out with a bit of trouble,with the med port, they couldn't get anything to go through it, after trying a couple times to flush it, began thinking there might be a blood clot in there and did not want to mess with it. I did not want any more postponements on this ordeal and told them if they could not use the port today to give me the meds the old fashion way, and will get the port taken care of during this week. A few mins after that we saw the red solution was going through. And then it stopped. So the decision was that there is some position thing going on and when I turn my head a certian way or breath a certian was, it stops the flow. So every few mins the machine would start beeping and someone would call from across the room, stop breathing. I was there from 1:30 to 5:30 and the infusion itself actually just took about 45:00 minutes. They really loaded me up with anti nausea drugs before and during the infusion. I was sent home with two more types of anti naseua drugs and a laxative.
I have not felt any sickness so far, am haveing constipation though with a lot of gas. A little bit more fatigued than usual but not anything to really complain about, and the tiniest bit of a headache. So all in all I feel I came out of the first session pretty well. I have heard that sometimes the effects don't show up for a couple of days, hope that is not the case here.
Phyl hope things go good for back at your job, I am sure it will take a few weeks for you body to get adjusted to a differnt schedule.
Hope everyone takes care and has a nice weekend.
Phyllis

Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #60
(female)

tylersnana HB User

Hi Phyliss! Welcome to the AC group! I had my last AC June 5th....now am on Taxol and Herceptin. I didn't get any reactions for a couple of days and mostly it was the awful taste in the mouth and heartburn. DO drink lots of fluids and take stool softeners. I was never warned about constipation from AC (and NEVER had problems before or since I'm off AC) but I sure did have it!! The bad taste and any other minor problems only lasted about 5 days or so.
I have also had problems with clots in the port. They would have to inject a clot buster med in it (can't think of the name..Activase I think) and have to wait 30 minutes before they flushed it and again, and then it would work and they would start the chemo without problems. Now that I get Taxol/Herceptin once a week it doesn't have a chance to clot so is working well.
Hope this is some help for you.
YES, the rain has been bad ALL OVER Texas!!! Glad we haven't had any for 2 days now!! Hook 'em Horns!!!

Closed Thread