It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User
Wink Roll Call

Just want to check to see how everyone is doing?
I am a 4yr survivor, IDC, 1post.node, did tamox.,and aromasin, presently on arimedex..I have been dealing with the side effects..and presently feeling pretty good..I go to Pt. 5days a week, I exercise almost everyday..and try to eat organic food when I can!

So stop by say Hi and tell us about yourself!!
hugs,
cj.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Role Call

Hi CJ

I am almost a 1 year survivor on June 8th. I was stage 1. Did bilateral mast, last summer. No chemo d/t statistics and a low oncotype dx score. On zolodex and tamox. May get my ovaries out this fall-Still thinking about that.

Good health and happiness to all my breast cancer sisters.
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Leea, sorry to meet you under these circumstances, but am very happy to say hi and congrats to you..on June 8th..I do hope you'll have an awesome celebration!
You were diagnosed early..did you feel a lump or was it found on mammo?. Mine was found on a routine mammo stageII, I never did feel a thing.
I had a total hysterectomy last year because of the increased risk of uterine cancer, and the connection to ovarian cancer. It was sort of a shock to my body, it took a few months for my body to settle in without the hormones..but if you do have any side effects, there are some drugs that can help. I went on effexor for a little while because the night sweats would keep me up.
I started this post because I feel like we all need to stick together and help out the newly diagnosed when they come along..Its nice to know that you are here, keep in touch!
hugs,
cj.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

CJ
Yes, I was diagnosed through mammogram. Never felt a thing ,either.-Thank God for mammograms! In my case, it was a lifesaver.

I almost thought I had escaped the family "curse" as I was 48 when dxed, and was starting to feel I would not get breast cancer, like my mom, maternal grandma and aunt. - Thankfully, my mom is a 28yr survivor, at age 83 and my aunt is an 8yr survivor.- Hope I will be "lucky," like them.

I tested negative for the BRCA gene, but my onc still wants my ovaries out, since I was estrogen/progesterone positive.- My female relatives were all late menopause, so I think I probably will go ahead and do the surgery.- Yes the hot flashes are a real pain!! I was taking Gabapentin for awhile and it helped but made me have balance problems. - glad to know there are other things, like effexor to try. - Right now I am just living with it and will see if it gets better or worse after the ooph.

Yes, we all need to stick together and help each other. Keep in touch!

Hugs,
Leea

Old 05-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
(female)

phyl41 HB User

HI there i was diagnosed in sept 06 and have had lumpectomy chemo,radio, and now tamoxifen and herceptin. Feeling tired but really hopeful about future.Would love to find out how other sufferers are coping

Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

To Leea, Please pass on to your Mom, that she truly is an inspiration!! That is just awesome..did she ever have any recur. following the first dx.? I am just so sorry that your family has been so touched by this terrible disease, but it sounds like you are all very strong people...good fightin genes!!
With that history, I can certainly understand why you would have the hys.and ooph. I too tried the neurontin (gabapentin) and had the same problem when my dr. tried to up the dosage..Right now I am taking elavil, after being dx with fibro..and that drug too has been helping with the flashes! so there are many choices, if one doesnt work, or you dont feel good while on it, ask to try another.
hugs back at ya,
cj.

to PHYL, so glad you have found us here, ..and thanks for posting!
would you like to share with us what kind and stage of bc you had?
I too was on tamoxifen for a year and a half, until I went into surgical menopause..I did not experience many side effects, however I was very fatigued as you have stated. Yes, it is HOPE that keeps us going! Are you married, have any children? Those are my main reasons for my fighting spirit!! There have been many advances in treating this disease and more and more women are now living with cancer! There are many very sweet ladies here, glad you have joined. Feel free to ask any questions, or just come and vent!
hugs,
cj.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
(female)

Teresa 51 HB User

Hello phyl,
I had a mast. not radical, no chem, no rad., and I tamoxifen, and now arimidex. What stage was your cancer? Was it in your lymph nodes? I feel very fortunate that I am 3 years out and no cancer. The ladies that have estrogen receptive cancer are very treatable! I find the tamoxifen, arimidex, etc. does make you tired. I definitely do not have the energy I once had.

My grandfather was from Scotland. I hope to visit someday.

Glad you joined us, breast cancer surviors...As CJ said, we all stick together. I feel we try to hold each other up until strength returns, then repay the favor by helping support a new comer.
Take care.
Teresa

Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hey Teresa..glad to see ya girlfriend! How are you feeling? How is the exercising going? Ya know pretty soon we will be putting on our tiny weeny itsy bitsy yellow polka dot bikini!! hehe..
luv and hugs,
cj.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
(female)

Teresa 51 HB User

Hello CJ,

I am feeling better! I finally found a GP-he's actually internal med. and he's old as the hills...but I thought "he must be doing something right, maybe he can teach me something." I have an appointment with a podiatrist May 29th.
I'm hoping for a miracle. I have been taking gluco/chond/with boswella. After
taking this for two weeks, I can tell a difference. I believe the boswella has helped my fibro and some of my joint problems. I am very encouraged!

I have been very busy and trying to stay moving to gain back my strength. It is working. How are you doing? Are your feet any better? I walked some but had to stop 'street walking' because my feet were swelling so badly. Now I stay up and moving but no street walking

Hope everyone Spring is cool!
Take care,
Teresa

Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Tee, I too have an appointment with a podiatrist next week..had my last knee shots today..they hurt, but I am thrilled so far with good results. I have never heard of boswella..what is that? glad that it is helping you..i take elavil for my fibro, it also helps a little with sleeping which they say people with fibro do not get enough of! I tried glucosamine with chondroitin once but I think I am allergic to it..my eyes swelled terribly.
So glad you are moving...it is so important..street walking is def. tough on the feet..when i walk in the park I walk on the running path which is dirt and small pebbles, i think its a little easier on the feet..but i dont do much of that anymore..the plantar fasciitis hurts too much..but I love the arc trainer at the gym so I do that..We havent heard from Linda in a while!!

LINDA ARE YOU THERE???
YUP spring is cool..expected to go to 90 tommorrow, I am going to relax at the beach!
have a great weekend,
hugs,
cj.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #11
(female)

Jezzie25 HB User

Hi! I am a 1 year and 1 month survivor. I had a lump. and had radiation for 33 days. I have decided that I want to change my birthday to April 6. I am taking Femara ...sort makes my bones ache a little and sleepy, but it's better than having breast cancer! Y'all sound like a lively group...haven't you noticed most survivors are lively?!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Jeezie. Nice to meet ya!! I'm with you..having had cancer..and surviving cancer does make me feel reborn in some ways...taking time to smell the flowers, enjoying everday, appreciating all that I have been blessed with, and loving my friends and family like never before!!
I too have muscle and bone pain, I take arimidex..first started on aromasin, and delt with the pain for a year and a half until I could no longer take it!! I seem better on the arimidex..I go to pt. however, and I think he has helped me with alot of the pain.
YUP, Lively group!! Really nice women here on this board..
We try to stick together..and be here to help out those newly diagnosed, and those that need to vent! Its a good place for that, because no one understands better than a sister!!
HUGS TO YOU,
cj.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
(female)

phyl41 HB User

hello teresa i was stage 3 with one lymph node infected. they say i am very treatable but some days its telling my brain that.Glad you are free.Its nice to chat with someone who understands .keep in contact phyl

Old 05-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
(female)

Teresa 51 HB User

I spent three years just going through the motions, work, family good times and bad. I finally came out of hibernation...I believe talking to other BC survivors has gotten me back on the road to living. I want to make it and I am making plans!! You stay strong and do things that make your quality of life better. massage therapy, pedicure, facial, volunteer work, meditate, etc. Glad you stayed in contact.
Teresa

Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi Ladies

Just checking in. Hope everyone is enjoying their Memorial Day wkend!

CJ, thanks for the kind words re my mom. Yes, she is a tough lady. She never did recur, which I find amazing, because she never had chemo or any anti-hormone therapy, only did the single mast and had a large tumor. She is now in her 80s.

I did stumble upon a remedy for my hot flashes only a few days ago: I've had to take BP meds recently, D/T losing all my hormone protection. Dose recently upped to twice/day (Altace). When I increased the dose, my hot flashes went way down. - Yey!!! - I can finally sleep and feel "almost normal"!
I know the Catapress patch is supposed to help hot flashes, so maybe other BP meds, can help as well.

Leea

Closed Thread