It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

TimW HB User
Worried. Being called back for 2nd mammogram...

I've been doing my mammogram exam every year for the last seven years since I turned 40 -- for the last two years with the advanced technology of digital, and it has always been normal.

This month I just had it done and a day later I was called to come in to have another one done next week. (Only for the Left side). I was told that this is not uncommon to have ait redone (also 17 other people are being called to come back for similar reasons). I was also told that there is a lot of "dense tissue" in my left breast, and, that the radiologist just want to be sure that it's all being seen properly. I'm just nervous because this never happened to me before, and, for the first time I'm being examined again.

I often do my self-examination. There has not been any palpation of lumps, or discharge, or changes in the niples or dimples on the skin of the breast or an oversize dropping of the breast.

Under these circumstances, how worried should I be about being called back in?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: Worried. Being called back for 2nd mammogram...

I too am having to go back for a repeat and an ultrasound this coming Friday. I am about the same age as you are and this is my second time and I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about it too. The first time I did end up having to have a biopsy, but at that time was told, even having to return for the additional procedure, that my chances of it being cancer were not even 10%! Obviously it is best to have it checked out, but the chances of either one of us having anything more serious are slim! Let us know how it goes.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
(male)

TimW HB User

Update: I went back last week. This second mammogram was different, it compressed the breast areas harder. They sent me back to the waiting area....1/2 hr later I heard someone calling my name. Then they told me I needed an ultrasound....that's when I got terrified. Once the ultrasound was done, I got to talk to the radiologist, a very pleasant lady. She said "she only sees good tissue through the ultrasound, but she wants to be sure that what she's seeing in the breast X-rays is nothing serious. She showed me the images. (She suspects it's just dense tissue.) So an MRI is ordered. Just waiting for the insurance authorization.

I'll keep you posted.

-- I.H.O.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
(female)

springbreak HB User

My surgeon wanted me to do MRI even with a normal mammo becuase i too have very dense breast tissue in my right breast. i declined the MRI 3 months ago , but had to come back in august because of other problem. this time i did the MRI. it is not that bad, especially if you take valium before it.but I know how you feel.

Closed Thread