It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

carole27 HB User
Question pain from the medi port

4 weeks ago i had my left breast removed along with 23 nodes. the area is still very swollen. does any one think this is normal? this past thursday i also has a medi port inserted on the right side just below the collar bone. today is sunday & the area is still very sore & it is difficult to move my arm properly. (such as raising it to wash my hair in the shower or fed myself) (i have a feeling this may be because the right breast is so large (dd) that the site can not handle the weight). has any one else experienced this problem? if so what do you think the long term pain will be or do you think the posr should be removed? one last question. is it very painful to take chemo treatment without a port? thank you all for your advise & GOD bless all of us. carole27

Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
(female)

carpediempenny HB User
Re: info on medi port

HI, I am sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort. It is no fun at all. I had 27 nodes removed on the right side and a port put in on the left side two weeks ago. I am not doing too bad. I have some pulling on the scar and the back side of my arm is numb and almost a burning sensation. I had drain in for a week because of the removal of the nodes and after that came out I felt a lot better. I had to shower with my bra on and or some contraption to hold the drain tube and bulb. I was a nervous wreck every time I showered. This whole process is so uncomfortable.

Just take it one day at a time. I know it is hard. I am no where near the end and I am mad, frustrated, scared, extremely tired etc.

Take time for yourself, this is our time to pamper and spoil ourselves even though it doesn't feel that way. Our health is most important at this time.

Good luck, hugs for you too,
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

carole27 HB User

thank u for ur response to my medi port question. i'm just surpirsed that the dr said i would be in pain for a "few days" & here it is 5 days later & i can hardly move my arm away from my side. good luck to u also. carole27

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

Survivor 1957 HB User

i am so sorry your in such pain, i know the fear, the burning, the numbness, and i only had 4 nodes taken 11 days ago.... A friend of mine is a massage therapist and has worked on many women with breast cancer. maybe some mild massauge would help your back and arm...Why dont the doctors tell us about the pain and burning, Is it that they hope we dont have any or is it they dont want us to be scared? All I do know is that I am the type person that wants to know what is happening to my body and what to look out for, i would not of known the ups and downs of all of this if it was not for this board and the nation cancer society hot line.
good luck to us all, i am so glad we have each other for information sharing
k

Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: pain from the medi port

I don't have breast cancer but I have Ovarian cancer. I didn't find that having chemo without a port was painful at all. Aside from having to get *****ed each time. Just dealing with the different after side effects is the painful part.

as for your port question, I would imagine that the discomfort and what not is normal. I had a port in my upper arm and found that I couldn't even sleep on one of my sides because it would pinch the line against my collar bone.

Good luck

Last edited by Suzi Q; 10-24-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
(female)

jgore HB User

Dear Carole27
I hate to tell you this, but!!! I had bi-lateral mast. last December and had 7 nodes removed on the left side--they put the port on the right side. I still have numbness and "strange" feelings in and under my left arm--even with lymphydema therapy. I had extreme (hyper) sensitivity in my chest up until recently when my dr. prescribed Lyrica (a med used for neuropathy in diabetics); and that has helped the sensitivity. I can stand to touch my chest now whereas I couldn't before. I'm a thin person, so my port really caused me problems. It stuck out. It was placed where any bra strap touched it--so, wearing prostheses was a form of hell. I had trouble finding comfortable sleeping positions--between my "numb" left arm and my "port" right side, I was miserable most of the time. Looking back, I kind of wonder how I got through it all. But, that's the point I want to make--you WILL GET THROUGH IT ALL. There is light at the end of the tunnel--a rainbow after the storm--etc., etc. All the crap you are experiencing now is what you get with the type of surgery you had. All the crap you are going to experience is what you get with the chemo treatment you will have. The next few months will not be comfortable. I wish I could hold your hand.
Jackie

Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
(female)

carole27 HB User

Thanks So Much For Responding To My Medi Port Question. I Think If I Had Known Better I Would Have Turned Down The Port. It Is Extreamly Uncomfortable All Day & Night. In The Day The Pain Is From My Large Remaining Breast Pulling On It & In The Night It Is Partly The Same Plus Positioning To Try & Get Some Sleep. Good Luck To U & God Bless. Carole

Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
(female)

carole27 HB User

Thank U So Much For Responding To My Medi Port Question. I Can Only Thank God That I Don't Think I'm Doing As Bad As You Have Been. My Left Side Is Already Starting To Feel Alot Better Except For The Sensation From My Elbow To My Under Arm. As For The Port I Wish My Oncologist Had Better Explained It To Me & Had Also Taken Into Consideration The Size Of My Remaining Breast (dd). I Think That This Is Where Most Of My Discomfort Is Coming From. Also, I Was Told The Port Would Be Under The Skin. Well It Is Under The Skin But Bumped Out. I Believe I Would Have Preferred To Be *****ed On Easch Vist Rather Then To Have The Discomfort Of The Port. Aren't We All In Enough Discomfort Without Having To Endure Something That Is Really Not Necessary. I Wish All Of Our Drs Would Better Infor Us. Again Thanks & God Bless. Carole

Old 10-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

cjammom HB User

Hi Carole..I dont want to frighten you..but I had a terrible problem with my port..and it only happens rarely..but it needed to be removed..it is called superior vena cava syndrome..the port actually collapsed the vein leading to the heart, so the blood pumped up to my head, but had no place to go..it needs immediate attention..the symptoms for me were: red face, swollen face, shortness of breath, heavy chest feeling..my port was never comfortable from day one..if you still have pain with it..insist on an xray-it can detect what I had..
hope its nothing...just normal healing..but do look into it if your still in pain.
hugs,
cj.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

jgore HB User

Really, the port is better than no port. You get stuck so many times--blood test, chemo iv's, etc., that you will eventually be grateful for the port. I'm sorry yours is hurting so much. If it keeps hurting, call your doctor. It should be tolerable after a week or so. It's never comfortable, just tolerable. But there are things that can go wrong--i.e., my port area got infected a couple of times--cleared up with antibiotics though.

Closed Thread