It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
(female)

Brandy Lee HB User
Exclamation Lump behind my nipple...and I'm worried!

Hi. I've been having a dull ache in my right breast for about 3 weeks now. I'm due for a check-up anyway, so I made an appointment; it's for tomorrow. In the meantime (yesterday), I happened to undress in front of the mirror, and as I took off my bra, I immediately noticed a very slight change to my right nipple. It's very subtle, but it's just enough that it made me look really closely. As I touched the area, I (again immediately) felt a lump. The area of the lump is sore -- only when I touch it. The dull ache has not gone away; it comes and goes throughout my entire breast, and it wakes me up several times at night.

My appointment is tomorrow, but I know I probably won't get any definitive answers. I'll have to wait for an appointment with a breast doctor etc. etc. etc....

I should say that I had a total hysterectomy 11 years ago (at 28), and I'm on straight estrogen for HRT. I don't know whether that makes any difference, but....

If anyone has any suggestions etc., I'd appreciate it a lot. How aggressive should I be if the doctor says it's just an infection or something (which it may in fact be)?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User
Re: Lump behind my nipple...and I'm worried!

Brandy...First of all, remember that about 80% of all lumps are benign (non-cancerous). Next, let me ask you a couple of questions...
1. When you press on it, does it feel like a round ball (like a grape, rubber ball, or eyeball)?
2. Does it move when you push on it, or is it stuck in place?
3. Do you have any redness or itching on the outside?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
(female)

Brandy Lee HB User

Painaway, thank you so much for the response.

There is no redness per se'; it's more of a (very light) blistery-looking thing on the outside of the nipple. As far as how the lump itself feels: it's a little difficult to get a really good perspective on it, as it IS sore to the touch. If I poke too much at it, I start to feel nauseated. From what I CAN feel, though, it seems to be more of an oval shape than round. It also doesn't seem to move around.

Again, thank you for your time and information!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Lump behind my nipple...and I'm worried!

Brandy

I know you are worried but it is more than likely benign. My prayers are with you. I hope you'll update.

Take care, Nadine

Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

Have you had a baby recently? Even if you haven't, it sounds like it could be inflammation or infection to me. Is it warm to the touch?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

painaway HB User

DUH!!!!! Just re-read your post...I guess it's hard to be pregnant lately when you had a hysterectomy 11 years ago!!!! Sorry!! I think it could definitely be infection or inflammation, though. And even if it's not, it's probably just a benign mass. Prayin' for you girl!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
(female)

Brandy Lee HB User

Thank you, Painaway, and thank you, Music!

I sure hope you're both right -- that it's just an infection or a benign something. I'll definitely update when I know more. Thanks again, ladies!

Closed Thread