It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

klo289 HB User
mammogram after an ultrasound????

I had an ultrasound about a month ago to look at a lump that my doctor found in January. The report made no mention of the lump, so my doctor wasn't even sure if they found it or not. He has recommended that I have the lump removed and refered me to a surgeon. The surgeon won't see me until I have a mammogram. I am confused, because from what I've read, ultrasounds show more than mammograms....so why are they wanting a mammogram now? I am 27 and my doctor thought that maybe the radiologist was being somewhat dismissive because of my age. I'm just really tired of waiting to find out what this is...my mammogram is still over 2 weeks away. Will I know anything that day, or will it be another week or 2 before I find anything out? It really has me scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: mammogram after an ultrasound????

Klo-

Yes, usually they do a mammogram 1st or in conjunction with an ultrasound.
As, I understand it, the tests pick up slightly different information: The mammogram shows there is "something there," where as a ultrasound may suggest whether it is solid or fluid-filled, like a cyst.

The only way to know for sure is to biopsy it. - Remember 80% of lumps are beneign, but I would definitely check it out, just to make sure.

I had a diagnostic mammogram and mine took about a wk to get back. Let them know you want a call with the results and not just a letter in the mail.

Best of luck.
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread