Got the results today, that I have cancer in my breast. The doctor who did the core needle biopsy gave me the news. I asked her if she could elaborate a little, and she just said that she thought their were no nodes involved, and that I should make an appointment with a surgeon right away. Later my medical doctor called and also offered very little info. He did say though that the cancer was non-invasive. This helped to calm my nerves a bit. I did make the appointment with the surgeon, but was unable to get in to see her before March 24. I felt that was quite a while to wait, and asked my medical doctor to try to get me in sooner. He is calling me back tomorrow.I would like to see the actual results on paper, of the core biopsy. Is there anyone that can tell me how or what to ask for from these doctors. I have read quite a few books on breast cancer, and have also been through it with my sister. I would like to know the actual findings. Is it too soon to ask for this? Do I have to wait until I speak with the surgeon. Why are they telling me so little?
Last edited by tomatojuice; 02-28-2008 at 06:56 PM.
I went through the came thing last October- biopsy results showed cancer. My family dr called me 48 hours after the biopsy and asked me to come in- she had the entire report on her computer, went through it with me and then printed a copy for me.She referred me to a surgeon and set up the appointment which was one week later. I had surgery ten days after I saw the surgeon. I've just finished radiation and started hormone therapy. The very worst part of the whole thing ws when I knew something was wrong but didn't know what or what would be done. It does get better. I thini it would be a good idea to ask the dr to go through the biopsy report with you and give you a copy of it.
Medical doctor called me just now, and read the results of the biopsy over the phone. It seems he mistakingly read it wrong yesterday. Yesterday he told me it was non-invasive. Today it seems he noticed in the report that one of the biopsys was invasive. Can't believe this is happening to me. Now I know its a whole different ball game. I told some of my family members yesterday that I had a non-invasive cancer. Hes sending me a copy of the report. And I may be able to see a surgeon on Mar.10.What an idiot this doctor is, or overworked or something. Sorry, I had to vent this. To misread a report about such a life threatening illness.
no matter what the biopsy report says you won't know your exact situation until you get the pathology report from the surgery. I was so nervous listening to the biopsy report that I misunderstood parts of what I was told anyway. Where you are right now was by far the most stressful part for me. Once I had the surgery and understood for sure what the situation was I could calm down and deal with it a lot better.
thanks valleygrrl for the response. You are right I know. They definately know more after the surgery. I wish I could just go and have the surgery next week. Even seeing the surgeon on Mar. 10 is only iffy. The only real surgeon appt is Mar 24 for me. Will be seeing an oncologist on the 5th. This in between time is awful. Its unerving. Can't wait to just get on with it, whatever it is!
So sorry to hear. It is surreal at 1st and the waiting is hard. This is probably the worst part, not knowing. Once you get a treatment plan, it will get a little easier.
I WOULD take a family member or close friend if possible to your initial meeting with the oncologist and surgeon. - Two sets of ears listening to the Dr's are better than one, to make sure you don't miss any details.
If you are dxed as a stage one (as I was, almost 2yrs ago), you might want to ask about the oncotype dx test. - Your own tissue samples are sent for analysis. - They look at 21 features of your tumor and then give you a score to determine your recurrance risk in 10yrs.
It is just another important tool to determine your treatment plan. -It is mainly used to decide how much you would benefit from chemo. In my case, I had a low score of 10, showing only a 1% benefit with chemo. Therefore I did not do chemo but did do anti hormone treatment, as my tumor was positive for hormones.
You may also want to ask about:
-hormone status of your tumor (estrogen and/or progesterone positive or neg)
-grade of your tumor (grade 1,2 or 3- grade 3 being most agressive).
I will be thinking of you and praying for a good outcome. Let us know how you are doing.
Thanks Lea. I will definately ask about the oncotype test. Really do appreciate your response greatly. Been thinking all day today about, how much I wish the surgeon would see me sooner. Have all these fears that maybe its still growing or spreading. Just can't focus as well on the normal stuff. I've decided to call the Dr. back, who did my biopsy. She was really sweet and did say to call her for anything at all. She is also a survivor(10yrs.). She was the one who made the appt. for me to see the surgeon, but she was under the impression that it would be for Mar 3. Right now I am freaking out, a bit.
Last edited by tomatojuice; 04-09-2008 at 09:30 AM.
I know what you mean about worrying about it spreading. - The docs usually say a few extra weeks won't matter, but their not the ones dealing with the fear. I remember, I would not lay on my stomach, as I was afraid, by "squishing" the breast, I might cause it to spread. - I couldn't get to surgery soon enough.
It is hard to tell your children. I waited about a week because they were just getting done with the school year (late May of 06). They were 15 and 9 at the time. - Both boys. I told them separately because of the age difference.
My 9yr old is the "emotional one". He cried many times and asked if I was going to die. I told him, No. - that they had caught it early. He is doing better know, since it has been almost 2yrs. My 15 yr old has 2 good friend's whose moms both had breast cancer and are doing well. He said, "Mom lots of people get breast cancer but hardly anyone dies from it." So I think he kind of took it in stride.
Good luck with telling your children. I hope you may still be able to visit your daughter, late April. Depending on your treatment, you might still be able to go. - I had bilateral mast, June 8th of 06 and was down in Florida for a family vacation by July 4th.
If you look into the oncotype you might want to be sure your insurance covers it- it's about $3500 and not all insurance will cover. I was offered it but declined because from what I already knew about my cancer I knew chemo would probably not make a major difference. My dr also emphasized that a low number does not mean you can't have a recurrence and a high number doesn't mean it's inevitable. I did 33 radiation treatments and am now on hormone therapy (Arimidex) for five years. I had a stage 1, grade 1, negative nodes, clean margins tumor and was 62 when diagnosed, no family history of breast cancer.
There is also a website that drs use called "shared decision making" that gives information about recurrence- they have to enter your data. This is based on large group studies, not your individual tumor, but I found it very helpful in understanding my options, made me much more willing to do radiation and hormone therapy and less willing to do chemo. The radiology oncologist and the medical oncologist were both really good about taking all the time needed to explain all the options to me.
hi leea Thats exactly how I feel. At night I haven't been lying on my right side, because I'm afraid I'll crush it. I cried when I read how you told your young boys. That loving bond between a mom and her children is so beautiful. My children are not young. My son is 29, and daughter is 25. I told my son yesterday. Don't really remember exactly what I said. But his response was something like I'm not a kid. He insisted on going to the oncologist with me tomorrow. All day I have been thinking about calling the doctor who did the biopsy-to tell her about the late appt. with the surgeon. Just when I had decided not to call her, the phone rang and it was her. She was checking up to see how I made out with the appt. When I told her she was stunned.Then I told her about the oncologist tomorrow. She said since I have an appt with the oncologist-they might want to do something before surgery-so leave it this way for now. Will post again, let you know what happened
Went to see the oncologist today.They got me an appt. right away to see the surgeon. Will be seeing the surgeon this monday. Glad things are moving forward. Oncologist said I will probably be able to have a lumpectomy, followed by chem(since the tumor is more than 2cm). My son accompanied me. After the two oncologist finished speaking, I burst into tears.
Last edited by tomatojuice; 04-09-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Being on the "breast cancer journey" is a huge emotional roller coaster.
I cried alot too ,for all kinds of different reasons, especially the 1st year.
I was probably most emotional, last March after I was home from my bilateral breast reconstruction. I think I was partly just exhausted and releived it was over (A tissue flap reconstruction which took over 7hrs.) Like you, I also thought about all the wonderful health care professionals, family and friends who had helped me during the year to get to that point.
Let us know when you are having surgery. - Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Hi lea Boy there are just so many things to think about! Saw the surgeon. She said I needed a masectomy, because the lump was right under the nipple area. Just didn't want to be with just one breast, so I chose to have a bilateral masectomy. I think she also thought it was a good idea, because of my family background. She suggested that I have some reconstruction done. I was stunned, had't really thought about it at all.I think if I have to I would do okay without breast, but in any case I am seeing a plastic surgeon tomorrow to discuss it. Seems like they are proposing to do an immediate reconstruction, same day as the masectomies-is this possible? All very confusing right now. I don't know how they would be able to do immediate implants-how do they know without having examined my lymph nodes, if I will need radiation(which from what I have been reading doesn't mix well with implants)? Also my surgery has been delayed a week, in order to get the plastic surgeon and the breast surgeon together on the same day. Guess I'll figure it all out tomorrow. Hard to make such decisions, so quickly. Thanks for your response. Hope you are doing well. Oh yes-my surgery is scheduled for the 25th.
Last edited by tomatojuice; 03-11-2008 at 08:09 PM.