It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Ticks01 HB User
Mother and Aunt with cancer

I don't have cancer, but my mother and aunt do. My mother has infiltrating Duktile carsinoma. My aunt has Duktile carsinoma Ins (sp, not sure of), and Lobul carsinoma. Spelling is not my strong suit, and I am sorry. I just found out today of my mother, though my aunt had her breast removed 2 years ago. My mother is going to get it (not breast) removed and going to start radi soon after. My life is in a fog, I am lost and can not grasp how someone feels or how I need to be there for them. My older sister is going for a mamogram in the morning and I am to follow late next week, along with my mothers surgery. My breasts have hurt for months, and am now more scared knowing so many in my family are fighting the battle, and now me at 35 possibly will fight the same and can't be there for my Mother, but to be with her in her battle. I want to talk to her, but know that she is being strong for us, my aunt opened my eyes in saying that my mothers was Infiltrating. I am scared, and wish to know how to be the one to be there for the sick. I now face the fear that I can not be the strong one I need to be for them. Please let me know what puts you at ease knowing that others are there, yet not stepping on your toes. Also let me know how you are dealing with your cancer, knowing that I may myself have to pull myself through this unforgiving monster. Thank you.

Last edited by mod_007; 08-14-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Moved to a new thread (the original poster was asking for hopeful messages) also removed reference to occupation

Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Mother and Aunt with cancer

Ticks-

So sorry about your aunt and now your mother. I have a family hx too. My mom was dxed when I was 23. She is now a 28yr survivor and is 84 yrs old.
My aunt was dxed very late in life at age 80 and is now 90. I was dxed 2 yrs ago at age 48.- I have a very good prognosis and plan on living a long life, as well! We all had invasive infitrating or it is usually called, invasive ductal carcinoma.(IDC)

One thing I would advise with a family hx such as yours, is to follow-up with a good breast cancer or breast health center where you and your sister can get specialized screening including ultrasounds and MRIs, so that if heaven forbid, you develop it, it WILL be caught early. - EVEN if you have to drive an hr or two to get to a good breast center, IT IS WORTH IT.

As far as helping your mom, a friend of mine did alot of "checking in with me", via phone. She was always ready to listen to me vent about treatment or my fears ect. She also sent "care packages" now and then to keep my spirits up.
Both these things ment alot to me.

I did not have chemo, but know many that did. If your mom has chemo, other's have told me just helping with meals, keeping the fridge stocked and helping with cleaning and laundry is great. She may have "taste changes" with chemo and only certain foods may taste good.- Get her whatever food she likes.

Best wishes to you and your family.
Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread