It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
18 year old has large lump in breast HELP Scared Mom

My daughter is 18 and in her first year of college . Tonight she
called me in her room and had me feel a LARGE lump in her left breast. I told her I didn't think it was any thing to worry about Iam hysterical. Of course I am taking her to the doctor but can some one tell me ANYTHING?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: 18 year old has large lump in breast HELP Scared Mom

My daughter at 18 came to me with a breast lump. I freaked out and we went to the doctor and he referred her to a surgeon. She put it off for a couple of weeks as she had an overseas holiday booked. (I stayed home and panicked quietly to myself). When she came back, it had grown to the size of a chicken nugget. The surgeon put her in for an op the next morning. It was a common-or-garden fibroma. I am sure your daughter has something like this. They grow quite suddenly and can get big quickly. I hope all is well. Sera.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thank-you. She is going to the doctor Wed. Hopefully, we will get good news. Please say a prayer.
Sophie

Old 11-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

skbrmom HB User

I have 3 daughters.So I will watch this post and hope that you have good news after seeing the doc! Any unexplained lump anywhere scares the heck out of me! Most likley its some benign lump/cyst/fibroid. I hope the doctor can put your mind at ease!

Old 11-05-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Thanks, hopefully I will update with good news in about 12 hours.
Sophie

Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

I took my daughter to the doctor today. He thinks it is fibroid cyst full of fluid. We are going for a sonogram and a monogram if necessary in the morning. He said it was so large that the fluid will have to drained. I am still uneasy but much better than I was.
Sophie

Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Seraph did they do a biopsy or cut hers out. I am even more scared now. They did an ultrasound and a mammogram this morning and said it was a tumor.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Hi Sophie. The doctor first tried a needle extraction like yours did, and they said the same "it isn't a cyst, it is a growth". (FREAKED OUT MAMA) Then she went into hospital that afternoon (mainly because he had ops listed the next day), and removed it. They did an instant biopsy and by the time she came to, they were able to tell us it was a fibroma. It was very big, though, and it took quite a few years for her little breast to re-shape itself around the space. I am sure that your daughter is the same. These things are common at that age, although they may herald a lifetime of getting them from time to time. My sister had three altogether. Best wishes, Sera.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
(female)

kristie1978 HB User

I had one removed two years ago (28 years old) it was benign but a very scary experience regardless.

Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristie1978 View Post
I had one removed two years ago (28 years old) it was benign but a very scary experience regardless.

Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
(female)

Linda55443 HB User
Unhappy Re: 18 year old has large lump in breast HELP Scared Mom

I know what you mean about the fears a mother has when it involved her children. My daughter is 27 and has special needs. 3 months ago a small lump was found her her right breast. Her dr found it at her physical. The did an ultrasound. At the ultrasound they couldn't find the lump her primary care dr found. We were told to go back in 3 months and if the dr finds it to have her mark it with a marker, they said its probably fiberous tissue.
Last week she went back to her dr and the dr found it again. It is very small. The dr used a marker and marked the spot of her lump. Today she had another ultrasound. The lump is very small. They said fibroadenoma(not sure of spelling) They said its probably benign. They are going to watch it.
As my daughter lives in a group home I didn't go for the ultrasound and they also said something about a biopsy ultrasound. I'm waiting for a call back from the house manager as i'm confused about it. Are we watiing or doing the biopsy ultrasound. Are fibroadenoma's all benign. Or am I just a worrisome mother. My daughter has been through enough in her life I surely hope I'm worrying for nothing. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

That is exactly what Haileys' was Linda. They removed hers last Thursday and it was benign . The doctor said 98% of them were but it was a great relief. It is an outpatient surgery. We were there 5 or 6 hours and they gave us results before we left.
To all of you that have supported me through this thank-you and I hope I can be of help to you someday.
Sophie

Old 11-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #13
(female)

Linda55443 HB User

thanks Sophie,
I talked to my daughter's house manager later yesterday and she said that the report went to my daughter's doctor. So hopefully she will find out later this week. From what I understand that if they do the biopsy ultrasound its a needle put in when its ultrasounded? Is that what your daughter had? or did she have the whole lump removed? Cause I wouldn't think the biopsy ultrasound would take 5 hours.
Thanks,
Linda

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User

Linda, we could have gone that biopsy route but the doctor said it had to come out because of the size. I thought that it was an unnecessary
thing to go through if it had to come out.
Considering your daughter's lump size I personally would do the biopsy first but do not let that influence your decision.
No an ultrasound takes less than 30 minutes normally.
Please let me know how it turns out.
Sophie

Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #15
(female)

cutieloli HB User

The breast should feel like a bunch of grapes in texture when you are close to having your menstrual cycle, so that might be what she is feeling. If she feels lump to be different in texture and hardness than the rest of the breast (say like a peanut in the middle of oatmeal) that she should go get that checked out.

If it is a visible deformity; it would be wise to go and see a doctor regardless of the texture.

there are such things as breast cysts. They can be along the surface of the breast as well as nuzzled in the breast tissue. If it is a cyst, your doctor might notice that the bump would move around and change in size during her period.
But breasts cysts are more common in older women

And before you freak out- it is very unlikely that it is cancerous as its very rare for young women to develop breast cancer.

Or it might be whats called a breast fibroadenoma, which is just a cluster of benign (harmless) cells that support other cells in the breast. They are made of fibrous and glandular tissues. These can be hard or firm and it can be move around during breast exam.
This is something that usually affects younger women and teens.

Closed Thread