It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
(female)

survivorcld HB User
Undecided on what type of surgery to have lumpectomy or mast.???

I'm 28, 29 in 3 days I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Aug of 2008 I have been recieving chemo since then. I am her2 positive and this is my first time blogging about it. I have 5 more weeks of chemo left and then surgery. I am undecided on what type of surgery to have. They have placed a surgical steel piece into the tumor to mark it incase I decide to have a lumpectomy.....I guess what I'm asking for is advice from women/men who have had breast cancer and what type of surgery was done. I go to talk to my surgeon in a few weeks.....I'm just curious on what others have done...This has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with, luckily I have had some great support from my husband, family and friends. I want to help others in anyway I can too, Thank you for taking the time to read this and any responses would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

shagamuffin HB User
Re: Undecided on what type of surgery to have lumpectomy or mast.???

Hello,

I was diagnosed on 7/27/07 with stage 3 breast cancer in my right breast. I was then referred to a surgeon and after she looked at my mammogram and ultrasound, she immediately said that she wanted to do a lumpectomy to get a sense if the lump had spread to my lymph system. Turns out that it had (they did the dye test on my lymph nodres to see how many were positive - 12) so a mastectomy was performed on 8/13/07. Many women just need a lumpectomy so I would immediately decide just to have a mastectomy. Have you had your lymph nodes checked?

Hope my response is helpful. I have gone through radiation, chemo., two reconstruction surgeries (that included a tummy tuck - as me about this if you want to).

Write back if you feel up to it.

Shagamuffin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
(female)

survivorcld HB User

Shagamuffin, Thank you for your response. Yes I have had a biopsy done on lypmnodes and it came out positive for cancer. I orgianally started with a lump 9cm in diamerter and it has shrunk to 1.6, that happenend with the first round of chemo. (First round being 12 weeks) I am now on my second round which I would gratefully take the first round over this one..... This round is so much harder on my body. But is working. I went to see my doc last week, he said he couldn't feel anything anymore, but I still do....I know that it does not feel the same (as it did prior to the lump being there) I still have shooting pain every now and again. You have been very insightful, Thank you for taking the time to listen and respond. I hope that you are doing well, and lets keep in touch!
Love and prayers,
Survivorcld

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
(female)

shagamuffin HB User

Hello again,

I was reading your response and then mine again and I made a terrible mistake in my response - "Many women just need a lumpectomy so I would immediately decide just to have a mastectomy."

I meant to say - "Many women just need a lumpectomy so I WOULDN'T immdiately decide just to have a mastectomy.

Hope I didn't cause you any panic.

Shagamuffin.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
(female)

survivorcld HB User

Hello Shagamuffin....I kinda figured that much....I read it and re read and thought I bet she meant otherwise.... I hope all is well.....Thanks

Last edited by survivorcld; 01-27-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

Hi survivor

I was dxed May of 06 and am doing well 2.5yrs out. We have a family hx (although I am not BRCA+). I did a bilateral mast. For me it was a good choice to greatly minimize the chance that I will ever have a local recurrance.
It gave me great peace of mind and I have no regrets.

HOWEVER, my decision was right for me. BUT many, many women choose to have lumpectomy with radiation and do just fine. So it is really very personal. Try and weigh the pros and cons and possibly, get a 2nd opinion.

Best wishes with your treatments.
Hugs and prayers.
Leea

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
(male)

kristaq HB User

Hello everybody!
My mom (72 y.o.) has (what seems to be) a cyst (diameter of 3 cm) in her right breast. The surgeon suggested she has a mastectomy for the following reasons:
1. In case of lumpectomy, if the biopsy is positive to cancer (a very low probability = 10 % according to him) mom will have to go through surgery again. This would expose her to greater risks. She suffered a stroke 8 months ago, and even one surgery is risky, let alone two. Radiation is out of the question.
2. Mom has small breasts and a removal of the lump alone wouldn't much breast anyway.

I'm really worried about the psycological impact the mastectomy might have on her. Ok. she's above 70 but who'se to say that she will not face such problems. Neither me nor my dad and my brother can even remotely understand how important the breasts can be for a woman.

Also the mastectomy is a much more agressive procedure than lumpectomy. This means she will be exposed to a more risky surgery with longer recovery times.

He notified us only a day ago (I wonder why since the surgery was programmed also 3 months ago) and mom needs to make a very quick decision. Is the surgeon taking the easy way out? Can you think of any other factors of why he would favor mastectomy instead of lumpectomy, besides my mother's well - being.

Closed Thread