It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

stonebonner HB User
Mammogram after Ultrasound?

Maybe someone can explain, because I don't get it. Went in for a ultrasound last week and they called me this week and gave me the results. The nurse said it was fine and could not give much more info than that. She just said that the report stated findings were unremarkable. Thought she was about to tell me to check back in 6 months. Well, she instead tells me they would like to have me do a mammogram so that the results can be compared. If everything is fine on the ultrasound what needs to be compared? I have implants and thought that ultrasound was better than mammogram anyway if you have implants. Kinda confused. I can still feel two lumps in my right breast so something obviously is there and so is the pain.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Mammogram after Ultrasound?

Stonebonner,
Do you always get ultra sounds yearly rather than an actual mammogram?

I'm thinking that maybe they want you to get the mammo beause you have't had your yearly one performed yet? because you had the ultra sound first.

usually it's the other way around. the mammo 1st, THEN the ultrasound and even further testing if you're at high risk. the 3rd test they'd order is an MRI with contrast of the breasts to get a clearer picture of the breasts.
its' much clearer than a regular mammogram and ultra sound.
it can take many many pictures, more than the standard few pictures like a mammo or ultra sound does.

did you initially have the ultra sound performed to find out what the 2 lumps are? Aren't they telling you what the 2 lumps are? whether they're masses, or cysts, or lymph nodes????
why isn't your dr. talking to you instead of the nurse?

You have questions that aren't being answered and you deserve to have answers given to you.
If i were you, I'd give the office a call so that you can rest your anxiety. answers are the best thing to an anxious mind.

let us know what happens.
good luck

sincerely,
Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

Ultrasounds are usually just to zero in on certain lumps or cysts. Mammograms are still needed to get a picture of your whole breast even though you already had an ultrasound of the lumps.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

When you go in to have your mammogram, get to the appointment early and stop up to the medical records department and request a copy of the ultasound report. Read the report and anything that you do not understand, tell the tech doing your mammogram that you wish to speak to the reading radiologist. Do not let them tell you that the films are going to be read later in the day, tell her that this is your second time coming back and that you do not want to be call back for additional films. Make them page the radiologist and have him/her explain all the findings.
If you are not the pushy type like myself, than still get a copy of the ultasound report and call your doctor office and tell them that you wish to speak to the doctor personally.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
(male)

edbj HB User

If you must get a second study, please get an MRI and not a mammogram. Mammograms have been proven to be ineffective and dangerous.

Please read www.breastthermography.info before you do anything further.

Closed Thread