It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Breast Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
(male)

micro HB User
BI-RADS 4 --- Complex Cyst w/ slightly irregular margins?

Hey all,

I'm posting on behalf on my mom. I'm a little concern for her because of her recent annual checkup.

Her first mammo was inconclusive so she returned for a spot compression. Immediately following that was an ultrasound.

Based on what my mom told me, the radiologist said he sees a cyst with fluid and that she should return to have it aspirated and a repeat mammo to make sure the cyst is gone. However, with my curiosity and I urged her to pick up the report. When I read it, my heart almost stopped. On it it stated:

"There is an anechoic to hypoechoic probably complex cyst, with slightly irregular margins measure 6x6mm."

"Impression: Complex cyst in the right breast is suspicious. Ultrasound guided aspiration with post aspiration mammo as needed is suggested.

BI-RADS Category 4: Suspicious abnormality"

From the sound of that report, the radiologist was sounded more optimistic when he was talking to my mom. I don't know what to make of it. Her return appointment isn't set until next week and I'm scared.

She had an excisional biopsy done in 2001 for a suspicious mass (calcification) and it turned out benign. Her mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 60. Are they doing this out of precaution (due to family history)? Or are they doing this because the images DO IN FACT suggest something suspicious?

I did a search on complex cyst and do have a basic idea of what it is. But my concern about this cyst is that it has "irregular borders" And from what I read, that may be what the radiologists are concerned about. According to my mom, the radiologists said "It's probably nothing, but I want to be sure!"

What are your thoughts on this? I'm trying to be the optimistic one here, but I'm also trying to be realistic. I don't want to be too paranoid and assume the worse. It just that my mom had to deal with (e.g. thyroidectomy, trying to recover her voice, etc) so much this year and I don't want to give her any more stress. So I'm trying to go to her appointments with her armed with knowledge and information so that she can get the best possible care.

Thank you all for reading. I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: BI-RADS 4 --- Complex Cyst w/ slightly irregular margins?

I think she and the radiologist are doing the right thing. Cysts are usually not anything to worry about, but since it is complex they are being safe and checking it out. I wouldn't worry too much about the language on the report. They have common terms and language they have to use for insurance purposes and such. Keep us posted and let us know how the biopsy turns out.

Closed Thread